[SOLVED] Firefox Youtube videos without sound

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Firefox Youtube videos without sound

Postby flink » May 6th, '21, 10:25

A new phenomenon has happened with Firefox and Youtube.
Suddenly I get no sound on Youtube videos, if they are playing on the http://www.youtube.com url. If I use pavucontrol, then I can see that the sound is set to 0 volume. So I change this and the sound works on the video. However when I put to mouse cursor ot another position of the video or when I start another video, then the volume gets back to 0 again.

This does not happen when I execute a Youtube video from another url where it is embedded. And everything is fine in the Opera browser.

I have already deleted the Youtube cookies in the Firefox, without any improvements. A restart did not help either.
This did never ever happen in the past with Mageia LInux. It is a completely new phenomenon.

What must I do that the Firefox AudioStream volume does not get automatically to Silence when I start a Youtube video on Youtube.com?
Last edited by flink on Jul 20th, '21, 10:17, edited 4 times in total.
flink

Re: Firefox Youtube videos without sound

Postby flink » May 6th, '21, 17:25

It works again after a repair session on the partition which is mounted to /var.
In my case this is sda8.
The command to execute is

Code: Select all
 fsck -A -y /dev/sda8
Last edited by flink on May 7th, '21, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
flink

Postby doktor5000 » May 6th, '21, 17:35

Please don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED], thanks in advance.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox Youtube videos without sound

Postby flink » May 21st, '21, 22:46

Today I had the same problem again. Suddenly no sound for Youtube videos on Firefox and on Opera. Pavucontrol shows that everything is ok.

Solution:

Plug out and plug in the loudspeaker cable.
flink

Postby flink » Jul 14th, '21, 06:35

Now I have the same problem again.
Every time a new Youtube video starts in Firefox, the sound goes off. And Pavucontrol shows the controller completely on the left side. The sound is back when I turn it on by moving the controller to the right. At the next advertisement the sound is off again.

When the video plays, then I should be able to set the volume in the Firefox video. However only the screen shows that the volume is maximum or turned off. The sound is instead completely controlled by pavucontrol. There seems to be no working connection between Firefox and pavucontrol.

How can I fix this? It did work perfectly for several months. Maybe a sound configuration file cannot be written any more.
flink

Postby flink » Jul 20th, '21, 10:17

It automatically works again after some time and restarts.
flink

Postby firefighter » Aug 19th, '21, 06:59

flink,

Just saw this post and I don't know if you have tried this, but have you tried to reload the page without shutting Firefox down? When I was using another distro, when my computer woke from suspend, the sound worked fine everywhere except in my Firefox browser; mainly YouTube. I discovered that if I just reloaded the page, the sound would be back just fine. I didn't have to keep reloading each page of YouTube during that session.

I just added the reload button on one of the bars of Firefox and would reload a page when necessary. The exact procedure was: computer wakes from sleep, go to YouTube, click a site, it would start playing - (no sound). I would pause the the video, hit the reload button (reload the page), and start the video all over again, and I got sound after that on that site and the rest of the sites that visited. Just a shot in the dark and I hope it works for you.

firefighter
firefighter

Return to Basic support