Trouble starting CVCL outside gui

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Trouble starting CVCL outside gui

Postby mark9117 » May 2nd, '21, 19:17

I recently upgraded my backup server to version 8 and things are okay, but one of the issue I'm running into has to do with starting CVLC headless on this box (it plays media in addition to backing up).

Under prior versions, I could start VLC headless on boot with a bash script:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/cvlc &

After the upgrade this bash script, VLC Remote no longer sees the VLC server running on the box. Oddly, VLC starts just fine and the server is available with no interface if I execute "cvlc" as user prior to starting the X server.

Nothing shows up in the logs about this and I get the same standard out when I start VLC this way as I do when starting it from a Konsole window as a user after starting X. It's just that running the bash file prevents the server from being available to VLC Remote.

What am I missing? Why do these two things behave so differently? Any other suggestions as to how I can start CVLC on boot?

Thanks.
Let's just reboot everything all the time.
mark9117

Location: Eastern New Mexico -- Not Hell, but you can see it from here.

Return to Basic support