OS Updates

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

OS Updates

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 8th, '21, 17:32

My Frist Linux Distribution was Mandrake Linux 9.0, Since then I used Mandriva, SUSE, OpenSUSE, Oracle Linux, Red Hat EL, CentOS, OpenMandriva, Ubuntu, Mageia and ...

From my experience I have seen below problem. The main reason shifting from OpenMandriva to Mageia also the same. Hoping that Mageia will give good updates. but...

1. If there is a sync option to backup settings that will be grate (for KDE). Cloud or Offline
2. When updating Linux I am always scared because some times PC crash, Some times PC slows...
So Do not push updates with out proper checking. That creates problems when working.
3. I have to install applications again. if the is a one click installation option to install apps it will be grate. these are not the default apps. Eg: Brave, WPS office, Swapper, Bleach bit, PDF Editors...

From my point it is a ........
pujithadimuthu

Re: OS Updates

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 8th, '21, 18:26

pujithadimuthu wrote:2. When updating Linux I am always scared because some times PC crash, Some times PC slows...

What updates in particular, and what does "crash" or "slows" actually mean, does your X server crash, does your whole box reboot or ...?
This might also be a hardware issue, but as you don't provide any details, can't really comment any further.

pujithadimuthu wrote:So Do not push updates with out proper checking. That creates problems when working.

We never do, each and every update goes through proper QA validation. You may want to read https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Updates_policy

pujithadimuthu wrote:3. I have to install applications again. if the is a one click installation option to install apps it will be grate. these are not the default apps. Eg: Brave, WPS office, Swapper, Bleach bit, PDF Editors...

Why do you have to install applications again?
And if you choose to install applications that are not from our repositories, you'd have to take care about that - if you really want one-click installation, you could put them in a repository and generate urpmi metalinks for them, as e.g. in Mageia AppDB: https://madb.mageia.org/

FWIW, bleachbit is in our repositories, so this can be easily installed via one urpmi command.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 9th, '21, 10:05

NVIDIA GeForce 210, Foxconn G31MXP see the DirectX file.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
DirectX
(60.86 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
pujithadimuthu

Postby morgano » Apr 9th, '21, 10:22

pujithadimuthu wrote: 1. If there is a sync option to backup settings that will be grate (for KDE). Cloud or Offline

I use Nextcloud client to back up ~./config, as I use Nextcloud to sync almost anything else anyway (divided in many sync parts) except system. But I use to only enable that sync occasionally, as some config files update frequently. (also some other syncs i only enable shortly, like mail) But there is a problem anyway with upgrade of Plasma, in that not all configuration are upwards compatible, see Errata.

Anyway, a full backup of /home is recommended anyway when upgrading, and in there are desktop configurations.

2. When updating Linux I am always scared because some times PC crash, Some times PC slows...

Problems from updating packages are very rare. Upgrading Mageia to new release is more risky as everything is replaced. You should however have no problem following our recommendations. Skimming through the Release notes and Errata before upgrade is a good idea.

Of course you are much welcome to join and help testing to make extra sure it works for you. That is how I started my presence in QA... ;)

For testing if a new Mageia release will run on your hardware before you upgrade/install, you can use our Live ISOs on USB. They can now even store updates, new programs, and user files, by a persistence partition.

3. I have to install applications again.

Very few apps are dropped from Mageia, but a few are dropped i.e if they can no longer be compiled, see packages removed. Apps you have installed from third parties may need be updated by you. Some better uninstalled before system upgrade, then reinstalled. Appimage and Flatpak is a way to solve such problems. For more on installing non Mageia packaged programs, see Ways to install programs.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Apr 9th, '21, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 9th, '21, 17:11

pujithadimuthu wrote:see the DirectX file.

How does a DxDiag file relate to your linux issues at all?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 9th, '21, 23:30

As I told you after updates my Linux OS was Broken. Still not Re Install the OS. I gave you the configurations as a Proof to check.

As a Honest person accept that you made a mistake.

I do not care it is windows or Linux or apple or any other OS. I am looking for a OS that does not boke when updating. So I can do my work with out any issues.
If you have a problems with other Linux Distro or Windows or apple that is your problem, Not mine.

As a Long term linux user I am telling I had experience this issue gave your attention.
pujithadimuthu

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 9th, '21, 23:48

pujithadimuthu wrote:As a Honest person accept that you made a mistake.

Are you referring to yourself? Otherwise, it seems you are only trolling. As a friendly reminder, please have a look at https://www.mageia.org/about/code-of-conduct/

How could a windows dxdiag log possibly help in finding out what went wrong with your linux updates ?

If you don't provide any details about your actual updates issues - what exactly do you expect as outcome of this thread at all?
----
doktor5000

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 10th, '21, 00:50

I am not testing updates. I am giving a hornet feedback as a End-user. And Updates failed and Linux OS is Broken. You have to wait until I install the OS again. I have work to do and takes time.
I gave all The information need. VGA and Motherboard Information and DxDiag as a proof.

Please test the updates properly. I have work to DO. Thanks. Finish.
pujithadimuthu

Postby morgano » Apr 10th, '21, 02:56

Yes sure.
I can give you some file from my wifes computer running Mageia8 as "proof", and you can then tell me why Windows10 borked its update on that machine earlier?
Not that she would care much, it runs Mageia 8 nicely now...
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 10th, '21, 12:04

DVD Error. So not installed Mageia 8 x86_64. Again installed Mageia 7.1 x86_64. Fresh Installation.

So What do you want to know?
pujithadimuthu

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 10th, '21, 14:57

doktor5000 wrote:what exactly do you expect as outcome of this thread at all?
----
doktor5000

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 10th, '21, 15:07

Fixing the update issue and providing a working OS.
pujithadimuthu

Postby morgano » Apr 10th, '21, 17:52

This is not as simple as in i.e the small world of Apple world where they have realtively little hardware to support which they control themselves, few programs, not third party, etc.
Mageia put together kernel, drivers, *many" desktops, programs for desktop, CAD, servers... from many sources.
On top of that users install many third party programs in various ways, and that is typically where problems happen.
Another source of trouble is that programs or parts of system is upstreams not updated, like Nvidia not fixing issues in some drivers and as we do not want to deliver security flawed software we dropped them.
Then also i.e Plasma have its own internal upgrade problems (see our errata) which is not in our scope to fix for them.

As you are not helpful to tell what is wrong in your specific case, you do not help others that may get same problem, and also we can not help you.

Mageia is created in full by people working on it on their spare time. You are much welcome to help by feedback of value, and we can help you both investigating and getting it right for you, and together we have then made Mageia a little step better yet.
morgano

Postby morgano » Apr 10th, '21, 18:18

pujithadimuthu wrote:DVD Error. So not installed Mageia 8 x86_64. Again installed Mageia 7.1 x86_64. Fresh Installation.

So What do you want to know?

"DVD Error" - Again please be specific! Problem with DVD or DVD drive?
How did you put the ISO on the DVD? Did you checksum the file, did you verify written content? I.e used IsoDumper?
DVD drives get old and degrade in writing and reading performance, pair it with variance in DVD media and it will maybe have worked with mga7 but not 8 just because of that.

OR do you mean there are bugs in the ISO? No news, see Errata. There are also bugs in many computer bioses, and other hardware. Together it sometimes dont work.

Have you tried making a Live Mageia 8 USB stick and boot it? They can even be updated, so if any problem with your specific hardware you/we can laborate on it without affecting your to disk installed system.

To help you we definitely need you to tell more than a vague it does not work...

Also see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
morgano

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 11th, '21, 01:19

1. Used the MCC update app. As I remember there are some apps not installed
2. Rebooted no Login Screen
3. safe mode I login to root and execute
Code: Select all
urpmi.update -a
urpmi --update --auto-select

4. Rebooted. Not Booting.

5. Downloaded Mageia-8-x86_64.iso. Not checked the checksum. Opened iso file using WinRAR. (Normally I open the iso file using WinRAR check the file damaged or not)
6. Burned 2 DVDs using Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE
7. Verification failed.
8. DVD1. Proceed Up to partition creation and Gave an error when formatting. (boot, Windows, NTFS, NTFS, NTFS, /, Swap, Home)
9. DVD2. Did not load.
10 Installed Mageia 7.1 64 bit

11. Burned another OS iso using a Different brand of DVD and Verification Passed.
12. Tried to recover deleted Mageia x86_64.iso using Recuva failed so can not check the checksum. :(
pujithadimuthu

Postby morgano » Apr 11th, '21, 19:18

pujithadimuthu wrote:4. Rebooted. Not Booting.

Next time you are in such situation, ask for help here if you are out of ideas.
Then also detail as how far it got, i.e did it get past grub, could it boot to maintenance prompt, ...
To see logging on display while booting: in grub press keyboard key "e" to temporarily edit selected boot item, and remove "splash" and "quiet".

5. Downloaded Mageia-8-x86_64.iso. Not checked the checksum. Opened iso file using WinRAR. (Normally I open the iso file using WinRAR check the file damaged or not)
6. Burned 2 DVDs using Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE
7. Verification failed.
8. DVD1. Proceed Up to partition creation and Gave an error when formatting. (boot, Windows, NTFS, NTFS, NTFS, /, Swap, Home)
9. DVD2. Did not load.

If verification fail there is not much worth trying... ;)

10 Installed Mageia 7.1 64 bit

So you have a way to create a working install media :)

11. Burned another OS iso using a Different brand of DVD and Verification Passed.
12. Tried to recover deleted Mageia x86_64.iso using Recuva failed so can not check the checksum. :(

You can get the checksum by reading the optical media. A quick web search give i.e https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... f-a-cd-dvd . Preferably perform the test using the computer (optical drive) where you intend to install.

Anyway... per comment 10 you now have a fresh install of Mageia 7.
You can "dry run" a full upgrade to mga8 without actually doing it, by using the --test option with urpmi, see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_8_Rel ... _.28CLI.29, especially the "Please note". And of course the preparations chapter a bit above.

I also suggest you create a bootable Mageia 8 Live with persistence, you can use it to verify Mageia 8 runs in your hardware, including updates. And you can use it as a tool in case there are problems with your installed system.

BUT: A thing that worries me is in your point 8: "Gave an error when formatting. (boot, Windows, NTFS, NTFS, NTFS, /, Swap, Home)" A transient hardware failure? Have you checked the drive SMART status? Maybe also let memory test run overnight, i had an old CPU that when it got hot gave spurious "memory faults" -I did not help replacing RAM, but it was the CPU actually... Memory test can be choosen at the Mageia classic DVD installer boot menu.
morgano

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 13th, '21, 04:18

DVDs Gives an Error. Upgrade to Mageia 8. Thanks. using urpmi. But in chrome

Couldn’t sign you in
This browser or app may not be secure. Learn more
Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can refresh your screen and try again to sign in.

I tired to install Master PDF Editor in Mageia 7.1 couple of months ago. Not worked as I remember. Do you know any alternative software? Not tried it in Mageia 8. WPS PDF is available. But it is not an Editor. https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/
pujithadimuthu

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 13th, '21, 10:39

Got an issue. PC got stuck. now sound missing..

Code: Select all
[root@Pujitha-PC ~]# rpm -qa | grep pulseaudio | sort
lib64alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.2.2-2.mga8
lib64pulseaudio0-14.2-2.mga8
pulseaudio-14.2-2.mga8
pulseaudio-client-config-14.2-2.mga8
pulseaudio-module-gsettings-14.2-2.mga8
pulseaudio-module-x11-14.2-2.mga8
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-14.2-2.mga8
pulseaudio-utils-14.2-2.mga8
task-pulseaudio-2018.0-2.mga8
[root@Pujitha-PC ~]#

I tried to reset the driver from MCC but I think it is not resting.
Deleted /home/dimuthu/.config/pulse/

pulse folder now sound coming. but it is broken
pujithadimuthu

Postby pujithadimuthu » Apr 13th, '21, 16:37

1. Browser does not open telegram. Create 3 telegram account. AS I understand 2 accounts worked
2. PrtScr does not open Spectacle
Attachments
Screenshot_20210413_200247.png
Telegram
Screenshot_20210413_200247.png (23.79 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
pujithadimuthu

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 13th, '21, 18:11

Please create separate threads for your issues, golden rule is only one issue per thread.
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support