[SOLVED] How to make a catalog/index of all files saved on H

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] How to make a catalog/index of all files saved on H

Postby vmunich » Mar 22nd, '21, 10:34

Hi everyone,

I have several external HD, where I store different stuff (mp3, backups etc.).

I wish I would have a program which could list the content of the Hard Drives so that it would make searching for a particular data easier.
In particular, I need to search in the content of all drives also when they are not connected to my computer.

I used to use Gtktalog, which was was handy, but it is now outdated.

Any hint ?

Thank you
Vincent
Last edited by vmunich on Apr 19th, '21, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent
--
Mandrake since 1998, then Mandriva, then Mageia....
vmunich

Re: How to make a catalog/index of all files saved on HD ?

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 22nd, '21, 17:59

What do you mean by content? Do you only need a list of filenames, or do you also want to index the context of the files themselves ?

For the latter, there are several tools. Usually your desktop environment offers means for this, KDE/Plasma has balloo, and GNOME has tracker.
There are also standalone tools like e.g. recoll or docfetcher.

edit: You should have probably mentioned, that you need a replacement for gtktalog as in your previous thread a few years back: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4330
It appears there aren't that many alternatives. One that you could try which is slightly newer and might still work: http://cdcat.sourceforge.net/
For some others have a look at https://alternativeto.net/software/cdca ... form=linux
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Mar 22nd, '21, 18:37

If you dont mind advanced indexing and searching, try recoll, which we have packaged.
You can tell when, what, how to index, and target need not be connected when you search.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby vmunich » Mar 23rd, '21, 10:25

Thanks a lot Doktor and Morgano for your replies.

Recoll looks good, that's probably the program I need

What do you mean by content? Do you only need a list of filenames, or do you also want to index the context of the files themselves ?

I just need a software that answers the question: "on which of my external hard-drives (and where on the HD) can I find the data blablabla.mp3"

I will look into recoll and the other software you guys proposed, then I will close the thread

Best,
Vincent

--
Last edited by doktor5000 on Mar 23rd, '21, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added quote tags
Vincent
--
vmunich

[SOLVED] Re: How to make a catalog/index of all files saved

Postby vmunich » Apr 19th, '21, 14:11

This is just to close this thread.

I tried recoll and VVV (virtual volumes view), both are great tools.

Best,
V
Vincent
--
vmunich

Return to Basic support