Android smartphone backup using MAgeia ?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Android smartphone backup using MAgeia ?

Postby vmunich » Dec 30th, '20, 12:44

Hi everyone,

can you recommand any Mageia software (or software which can be installed on MAgeia)I for doing a backup of an Android smartphone ?

Thanks !
Vincent
Vincent
--
Mandrake since 1998, then Mandriva, then Mageia....
vmunich

Re: Android smartphone backup using MAgeia ?

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 30th, '20, 13:57

Is your smartphone rooted or not, and what do you actually expect to backup?

In general backup can be done via adb, which is a builtin tool for android. Have a look at https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vmunich » Dec 30th, '20, 14:50

Thanks for your reply.

My device is not rooted.

I merely want to backup single directories, e.g. DCIM where I have my pictures, or Music
Vincent
--
vmunich

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 30th, '20, 15:23

Why not simply connect your smartphone to your box and simply copy those directories ?

And for the pictures, you don't upload those automatically to some cloud service ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vmunich » Dec 30th, '20, 15:30

Yes I may end up doing that.
I was looking for a solution I could automatize and personnalize (copy this, not that...)

I am trying not to use a cloud solution

Thank you
V
Last edited by isadora on Dec 30th, '20, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoting the former message is not appropriate
Vincent
--
vmunich

Postby dbg » Dec 30th, '20, 18:14

You could also install kde-connect to both your computer and phone. This way you can transfer files/pictures without even having to plug a cable into your phone. When looking at your photos select the ones you want to transfer and pick "share". kde-connect will be an option.
dbg

Postby xboxboy » Jan 2nd, '21, 07:31

I use NextCloud, which is technically a cloud solution: but I control it.

It runs/serves my calendar, copies all my pictures and downloads. I'm sure there's other stuff it could do, but calendar (wife and I share one, so we know what is going on) and pictures (wife is hopeless at backing up).

Or perhaps check out the KDE connect stuff: I'm yet to try it, so I'm not sure what it does, but it always get's great reviews.

Or if you're a bit techy, then you could try something like SSHelper and use ftp/ssh etc and then use a sync/backup program/script.
xboxboy

Postby Kosh » Jan 2nd, '21, 22:15

Search for a package called "android-file-transfer"
This gets you a minimalistic UI with a directory-listing of the phone, so you can select files to transfer.
Connect your phone via the cable and unlock the phone. That should be it.
Could be that you have to: "Enable USB Debugging" in Developer Options on the phone.

I have an older Samsung S7 that did not have to enable the option for the tool to read the files.

P.S.:
I have a dualboot system with Windows 10, so when in there I use Samsung's own Smartswitch, which is also available for macOS.
Kosh

Postby morgano » Jan 4th, '21, 16:49

I like automation, and i do not like to share to big companies what i have signed NDA for..
There are several of methods.

I use syncthing for syncing photos, and some other folder. (I use the syncthing appimage on Mageia 7, and the app on android)
I also use nextcloud server on a hired shared hosting i can surf to and reach my documents, sometimes i keep some project folder in sync using the nextcloud app.
My new phone now runs /e/ which include an account on their nextcloud server, where phone also store various things instead of sharing them to google.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Return to Basic support