[SOLVED] Grub2 Menu not correctly formatted.

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Grub2 Menu not correctly formatted.

Postby laidlaws » Dec 18th, '20, 14:27

Running Mageia 7.1. The Grub2 menu is not in the format I am accustomed to, but is ordinary single-spaced white text on a (approx BSOD) blue background. Everything works as it should, so I can live with it, if I have to. I can see nothing obvious in the config files, and Cauldron seems O.K. Where should I look? Is there a CSS somewhere?
laidlaws

Re: Grub2 Menu not correctly formatted.

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 18th, '20, 19:04

What theme is configured in /etc/default/grub ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Grub2 Menu not correctly formatted.

Postby laidlaws » Dec 19th, '20, 11:40

The theme is the default theme. Last night I switched to the dejavu theme, annd it showes up OK. Current line is:

Code: Select all
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/mageia-dejavu/theme.txt

Just hold on while I switch back to the default one.
laidlaws

[SOLVED] Re: Grub2 Menu not correctly formatted.

Postby laidlaws » Dec 19th, '20, 12:21

Everything seems to be O.K. now. with the default "maggy" theme. Maybe all the swapping around blew out a few cobwebs.

Thanks anyway, Doktor.
laidlaws

Re: [SOLVED] Grub2 Menu not correctly formatted.

Postby laidlaws » Jan 2nd, '21, 14:56

This has returned. A reply on an Ubuntu forum says that it depends (among other things),on "the phase of the moon," In that case, and with Mga-8 almost ready for release, I will just live with it.
laidlaws

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 2nd, '21, 17:15

Hmmm, what does this have to do with Ubuntu ?

I'd say this is more something about your setup or modifications, as I've never saw or heard something similar before you reported this.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby laidlaws » Jan 3rd, '21, 10:40

> Hmmm, what does this have to do with Ubuntu ?

Just that every distro uses Grub2, and there may be clues there. I did find a couple of cases, one on Ubuntu, one on Arch, but they resisted all attempts to solve them. Those helping could not reproduce the bug.(That was the point of the comment about "phases of the moon," meaning that Grub2 can misbehave for no ascertainable reason at all.)

Watching the output of "update-grub"' the first line in Cauldron is: "found theme, ..."

That line is NOT PRESENT in 7.1. So, like the other cases, I only have to find out why. All permissions look O.K. It works O.K. in Cauldron.
laidlaws

Postby laidlaws » Jan 3rd, '21, 16:01

I did an "Upgrade" install from a USB key. I find that it will often fix strange happenings like this one. This time, it worked again, I have a normal Grub2 boot menu.
laidlaws

Postby laidlaws » Jun 11th, '21, 18:53

I just had to reinvent the wheel. The Grub2 menu was a simple text listing. The line specifying the theme was missing from /etc/default/grub just like before. I added the line:

Code: Select all
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/maggy/theme.txt

ran "update-grub" once more, and the problem went away.
laidlaws

Return to Basic support