Problem with the speed in Mhz of the RAM memory modules

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Problem with the speed in Mhz of the RAM memory modules

Postby Linares » Nov 30th, '20, 22:29

Hi.

My HP OMEN 880-005NS computer, bought in 2018 in PCcomponentse, came with a Hynix 8 Gb DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400T-UA2-11 memory module and the speed that it marked was 2400 Mhz.

To expand the memory up to 32 Mb, I bought in 2020 in PCcomponentes, and advised by a PCcomponentes technician, who knew what equipment I have, another 3 Hyperx 8 Gb DDR4 2400 CL15 modules.

When I add those 3 new ones to the motherboard, the RAM is correctly increased to 32Gb, but the speed drops to 2133Mhz. So to keep the speed at 2400 Mhz, I have removed the original Hynix module, leaving only 24 GB of RAM.

So I would like to know which of these three options do you recommend:

- Option 1:

Keep the 24 Gb as it is, with the 3 Hyperx modules, and try to sell or auction the Hynix on Ebay, I guess for about € 20. I don't have another computer to put it on.

- Option 2:

Also keep the Hynix in the computer, the 4 modules together, and have a total of 32 Gb even if the speed drops to 2133 Mhz.

- Option 3:

Return the 3 Hyperx modules to the PCcomponents store as they are incompatible with the original Hynix module.
Linares

Re: Problem with the speed in Mhz of the RAM memory modules

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 1st, '20, 00:53

Linares wrote:- Option 2:

Also keep the Hynix in the computer, the 4 modules together, and have a total of 32 Gb even if the speed drops to 2133 Mhz.

Why do you think this is such a huge issue ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby magic » Dec 1st, '20, 18:04

Option 2 all the way. Stick all 4 in and be happy. The benefit of doing anything else doesn't come close to justifying the cost/hassle.

-
It depends on how much it bothers you really.

The difference I can see between the old and new memory is timings.

As doktor has suggested, the real world overall performance difference between 2133MHz and 2400MHz memory is tiny in nearly all usage cases. Running memory (i.e.) dual channel has over an order of magnitude more benefit (and that's still not as much as many people believe) - your computer requires 2 or 4 installed DIMMs to do this.

If you really want it to be 2400MHz you could look at doing some manual settings (not available on all boards, really should know what you're doing and the potential risks) or consider buying a further new matching module (if 2/3 DIMMS run at 2400MHz then I'd expect 4 to... maybe your supplier would give you a goodwill discount?)

-
Personally I'd verify that the memory is running dual channel with all the 4 DIMMs you have installed and then not give it another thought.
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby Linares » Dec 2nd, '20, 00:26

doktor5000 wrote:
Linares wrote:- Option 2:

Why do you think this is such a huge issue ?

Because, on other occasions, I have read that for good performance not only the amount of RAM is important, but also its speed.
Linares

Postby Linares » Dec 2nd, '20, 00:56

magic wrote:...
or consider buying a further new matching module (if 2/3 DIMMS run at 2400MHz then I'd expect 4 to... maybe your supplier would give you a goodwill discount?)

Perhaps you find interesting the option 4, given by Kingston's own technical support service, to whom I consulted these same three options through their website. Yesterday I didn't even think that they would answer me: :shock:

Thank you for your query with Kingston.

Please note that we cannot tell you what to do, the ultimate decision is yours.

What we can do however is to explore each of the 3 options you have presented.

1) Keep the 24GB as it is - this is not a good idea as with only three modules installed, the memory will be running in single channel mode and thus far less efficient than in dual channel mode with either 2 or 4 identical modules.

2) Add the original Hynix memory module to the 3 x HX424C15FB3/8 - this way the memory capacity will increase but it is unlikely that the channel mode will change as the memory modules are not identical.

3) Return the memory - you could do this, but let us look at the issue logically - the only solution would be to find another 3 memory modules that are exactly like the one originally installed. This would need to be second hand as it is likely that the memory module is now out of production.

Allow us therefore to present Option 4: Purchase another HX424C15FB3/8 with the same revision build number as what is on the other 3 modules and keep the original Hynix module as a spare.

For this you need to ensure that the whole revision number is the same, not just the beginning. (Unfortunately you provided us with only the beginning, 9905702, therefore we cannot say what build this is).

Only when all 4 memory modules are identical can you be sure that they should all work with one another at the same speed and in dual channel mode.

Kind regards

magic wrote:...
Personally I'd verify that the memory is running dual channel with all the 4 DIMMs you have installed and then not give it another thought.

I did this check with two programs: CPU-Z and Speccy (both from Windows 10 partition because I don't know any alternatives in Mageia) and both indicate that the dual channel is running.

Linares

Postby morgano » Dec 2nd, '20, 12:27

That looks good. I would be happy with the four you have.
Also note that from 2133 to 2400 it is only 12 percent increase in frequency, but then there will be more waitstates, so memory speed is less than 12% increase. And you still have the same CPU - including its internal caches all on same speed as before , GPU, disk etc, so total computer speed is *much* less affected.

But yes if you really want 2400, exchange your original so it matched the other is good. You can sell your old with the knowledge you have tested it thoroughly :)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby bbfuller » Dec 2nd, '20, 12:55

Hello Linares,

Just in case you did decide to get a new stick of memory to make all four the same.

It would be very interesting to me if you ran some reproducible tests on your machine prior to the swap and after and shared the comparison results.
bbfuller

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 2nd, '20, 18:39

morgano wrote:Also note that from 2133 to 2400 it is only 12 percent increase in frequency, but then there will be more waitstates, so memory speed is less than 12% increase.

That still would not mean it would result in 12% performance increase, or any measurable performance increase at all. I'd say it's totally negligible and keep the system as-is.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Re: Problem with the speed in Mhz of the RAM memory modu

Postby Linares » Dec 3rd, '20, 00:42

Well, folks.
After two days working with the 4 DDR4 modules running at full capacity (open simultaneously: three graphic design programs, an Android emulator, and a heavy web browser) I have noticed a satisfactory improvement in the performance of the equipment. And, taking into account your comments (that the speed will only be affected by an imperceptible -12%) I have decided that I will leave this configuration as is.
Anyway, I am open to collaborating with the tests on my machine pointed to by Bbufer, if I could still do them. Everything is to help.
Thank you all very much for your wise advice.
Linares

Postby isadora » Dec 3rd, '20, 12:03

Please, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby bbfuller » Dec 3rd, '20, 12:35

Hello Linares

My question was only going to be of interest if you were going to change the single 2133Mhz memory stick.

I was just curious to see if that particular change would translate into a measurable speed difference in everyday tasks. My suspicion was that it probably wouldn't.

It would only have been of interest with before and after figures and only if you'd purchased the extra 2400 module.

Glad you've got a satisfactory result with what you have.
bbfuller

Return to Basic support