Dracut warning

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Dracut warning

Postby pabbuu28 » Nov 9th, '20, 20:04

Hello all,

I had changed my motherboard and cpu. So i can't boot mageia now. The error is:
dracut Warning: Coiuld not boot
dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/b2457e38-fb72-4a52-b778-de0af2197482 does not exist.

Before when i tried to boot in safe mode it tells to boot with noapic option. After booting with noapic options appeared dracut warning

How to solve this problem? i don't want to reinstall the system.

P.S Mageia 6 64 bit

Regards,
Jasur
pabbuu28

Re: Dracut warning

Postby benmc » Nov 9th, '20, 21:08

Hi pabbuu28 and welcome to Mageia.

You may not need to re-install.
pabbuu28 wrote:dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/b2457e38-fb72-4a52-b778-de0af2197482 does not exist.

be sure to check that your cables to your HDD/SSD are correctly seated, both power and data, to both drive and motherboard.

was your old motherboard a legacy bios and is your new one set to UEFI?

Do you still have your install media available?
was the install media a Live or the Classical .iso?
it can be used in various ways to recover your system.

Do you have access to another computer too?

Also, Mageia 6 is EOL, so you may consider upgrading.
benmc

Postby pabbuu28 » Nov 9th, '20, 21:34

Hello benmc
benmc wrote:was your old motherboard a legacy bios and is your new one set to UEFI?

Old one is a legacy bios and new one is a legacy bios
Do you still have your install media available?

I have USB-Stick 4gb and i had deleted it. But i can download and write again to the usb-stick if it necessary.
was the install media a Live or the Classical .iso?

I don't remeber i think it was Live
it can be used in various ways to recover your system.
Please help, let try. i really need my computer now.

benmc wrote:Do you have access to another computer too?

Yes i have, netbook with mageia6. Also i downloaded mageia 7.1 live plasma 64 bit

Also, Mageia 6 is EOL, so you may consider upgrading.

Is it possible with live plasma 7.1 to upgrade the current system? also i had internet connection, and internet is not problem
pabbuu28

Postby benmc » Nov 9th, '20, 21:57

pabbuu28 wrote:Is it possible with live plasma 7.1 to upgrade the current system?

not really, as it just overwrites the existing install :( .

how-ever, if you choose to download the Mga6 net install.iso - only a few hundred MB, you can use it to
1/ repair your boot.
2/ upgrade your system, but does require a wired, as opposed to wireless network / internet connection.
3/ dirty re-install of Mga6. usually done within 10 minutes, but you should upgrade to Mga7. again wired internet connection.

I would go for option2.
depending on the speed of your internet, you should be done within a couple of hours.

With the Live, you could correct the UUID that dracut is complaining about by using gparted to change the UUID
benmc

Postby pabbuu28 » Nov 9th, '20, 22:29

I prepared everything for option2, as you said.
I plug wired cable to the computer and wrote netinstall.iso to usb stick using dd command
pabbuu28

Postby benmc » Nov 9th, '20, 22:55

ok, just boot t the usb stick and click on the install option.

the installer is a little different to the Live installer - many more options, but if you are booting the Mga6 net install, you will have to change the mirror to a "7" one.
just follow the prompts in the text based install section, use the "tab", up / down / left / right arrows to navigate and "enter" to accept choices.
when if offers Mageia6, this is where you choose the Mga7 mirror. you choose a mirror local to you, and just type 7 where you see the 6:
example:
Code: Select all
https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/6/x86_64 => https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/7/x86_64.

when the installer changes to the graphical part, it will offer to upgrade your system, choose that option.
benmc

Postby pabbuu28 » Nov 10th, '20, 08:30

I had done everything as you said, but during installation errors occurred,
It says: lib64zma-devel-5.2.4-2.mga7.x86_64 conflicts with liblzma-devel-5.2.3-1.mga6.i586
pabbuu28

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 10th, '20, 12:17

You need to remove that -devel package, and reinstall after the upgrade has completed.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Nov 13th, '20, 01:23

For myself, I always change my fstab to use disk labels rather than UUIDs, (then I run dracut) and that makes life a lot easier when a piece of hardware is changed, because those UUIDs don't get propagated into the initrd and the labels won't be changed by the system (and, as you have found, the UUID can and will be changed with some hardware changes).

Sadly, I was not here at the beginning of this thread because I would have recommended studying the contents of /dev/disk/by-uuid, /dev/disk/by-name, and the other entries under /dev/disk to figure out which disk uuid has changed...and if you only have one hard drive, figuring that out is quite simple.

Once you have identified the particular disk, the easiest way to fix the problem is to write down the UUID that the system says it can't find, then change the UUID on the appropriate hard drive to be the UUID that the system wants. That fixes your problem immediately.

To do this, look at the command tune2fs. As root, entering:
Code: Select all
tune2fs -u <mydesiredUUID> <mydevice>

will change the UUID on the volume.

There is a similar option on the mkswap command which will allow the UUID to be changed, if it is a swap disk that the initrd is looking for.

This is hands down the easiest way to deal with the problem.
jiml8

Postby pabbuu28 » Nov 14th, '20, 12:56

Hello all,

I returned motherboard, as it was defective, so i could not neither upgrade nor install the Mageia or other OS, because computer freezes. After installing my motherboard back to the computer case, the same thing happened. In conclusion i understand that i should purchase a new computer. I am so sorry for disturbing you.
pabbuu28

Return to Basic support