webdav no longer connects

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

webdav no longer connects

Postby jiml8 » Nov 1st, '20, 09:18

After updating my system, I can't connect to the nextcloud instance on my NAS using webdav.

I can still access nextcloud via a web browser, and the carddav feature of Kontact also works (hence my contacts are being kept synced). Also it appears that the Nextcloud desktop client is working, which means that those files that I have specified will be kept synced across my devices apparently are being kept synced.

Webdav, however, is not working which means I don't have cli access to the files on my NAS from my workstation, and this is a problem.

I normally mount using this command:
Code: Select all
sudo mount -t davfs2 https://192.168.0.27:12080/nextcloud/remote.php/webdav/ /home/jiml/owncloud -o rw,uid=jiml,gid=jiml

and that has worked for years.

The NAS uses a self-signed certificate, but long ago I told my workstation that the certificate was to be trusted. I am speculating that with the upgrade that trust is now gone, and I don't recall at all how I made it work before.

The error code I get when I execute the above command is:
Code: Select all
SSL handshake failed: SSL error: certificate verify failed

I have been searching on this one, and ran across an Ubuntu user who says his solution was to download a copy of libneon 1.30 and install the libneon-gnutls.so library that gets built.

I rooted around on my system and did not find that library anywhere. I also did not find where that library is provided in the Mageia repos. So I shrugged, downloaded that library, and tried to build it.

It would not compile, and the error indicates a difference in a libssl structure. Now, I am not above modifying system structures if I have to, but that usually is a lot of work, generally involves recompiling many things, and just becomes a support pita. So I won't do that unless all else fails

The datestamp on my openssl binary is december 2019 and on my mount.davfs is March 2019. So those guys didn't get updated in this latest update.

Also, I did just connect using this command line from an OpenSUSE VM that is running on my workstation. Thus, the problem appears to be Mageia specific. The Nextcloud logs specified that the OpenSUSE VM connected using useragent "userAgent":"davfs2\/1.5.4 neon\/0.30.2".

Does anyone have any ideas?
jiml8

Re: webdav no longer connects

Postby jiml8 » Nov 1st, '20, 09:32

And as an add-on to this, I did just get Dolphin on my workstation to connect to my nextcloud instance using webdav. I also got Dolphin on that OpenSUSE VM to connect the same way.

So it is only my command line attempt that is failing.
jiml8

Re: webdav no longer connects

Postby jiml8 » Nov 1st, '20, 09:53

I used openssl to look at my certificates, and I saw the message "certificate key too weak".

Now, I had just recently read this thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13753

So I took another look at it, and followed the suggested "update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY"
and it solved the problem.

I probably should generate a new certificate using a stronger key mechanism. I will put that on the list of things to do.
jiml8

Return to Basic support