[Solved] Hard drives

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Solved] Hard drives

Postby Sigurd » Sep 24th, '20, 16:32

Hello,
I am using three hard drives. One is the drive of the OS. The other two are for my files and for a backup. When I start the OS the hard drive with the OS is available. The other two drives are not available. Every time I still have to type the root password to make them available. How can I configure it that all hard drives are available immediately?

The two other hard drives are mounted under "/run/media/..." How can I create a folder direct under "/" named "media" and mount the two hard drives directly under it?

Kind regards
Sigurd
Last edited by Sigurd on Sep 25th, '20, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Sigurd

Re: Hard drives

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 24th, '20, 18:30

Hi there,

it would be helpful if you would mention what Mageia version you're using and which desktop environment. Please also post the contents of your /etc/fstab

Regarding your question, generally you have two options. Either add a polkit rule so you don't have to enter the root password for the 2 other drives, this is described in our wiki:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Useful_polki ... t_password

The other options which also covers changing the mountpoint from "/run/media/..." to a folder direct under "/" named "media" would be using diskdrake:
https://doc.mageia.org/mcc/7/en/content ... l#drakdisk
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sigurd » Sep 24th, '20, 19:21

Hi doktor5000,
I cannot get into "/etc/polkit-1/rules.d". How can I go there with Root rights?
Kind regards
Sigurd
Sigurd

Postby Sigurd » Sep 24th, '20, 19:23

Hi doktor5000,
Is there a way to start Mageia in general with root privileges?
Kind regards
Sigurd
Sigurd

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 24th, '20, 22:15

How do you try to "get into" /etc/polkit-1/rules.d ?
And yes, there is a way to login as root, but I cannot recommend starting graphical applications or even worse, a full X session, as root. You'd have to use the search function for that.

As an alternative, you can also use diskdrake as mentioned previously.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby magic » Sep 24th, '20, 23:28

I'd second using diskdrake for what you want to do (also available via the Mageia Control Center > Local disks > Manage disk partitions)

To reiterate, to switch to root in a terminal use "su -"

For sudo...if sudo isn't installed install it - either as root in a terminal or graphically (Mageia Control Center > Software Management > Install & Remove Software). Add your user account to the "wheel" group - the current default configuration will make sudo act the way you're used to (i.e. Mageia Control Center > System > Manage users on system). Log out completely and back in again.
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby Sigurd » Sep 25th, '20, 13:48

Hi doktor 5000, hi magic,
I have installed "sudo" and "dnf". And I have installed "pcmanfm". It is in root mode way more powerful than dolphin. With pcmanfm in root mode and drakdisk I have changed the mount point and the permissions. And all the more than 1000 icons I have linked to folders and files (music files) are back because the link is valid again. I do not have to change them all one by one. Great! This problem is solved. Thank you very much.
Sigurd
Sigurd

Postby isadora » Sep 25th, '20, 14:30

Please, don't forget to mark the topic [SOLVED].
You can do so, by editing the subject/title in the first message in this topic.
Write [SOLVED] to the left of subject/title, thanks ahead. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: [Solved] Hard drives

Postby jiml8 » Sep 28th, '20, 04:14

I will suggest to you in the strongest possible terms that you avoid using any graphical tools as root.

Graphical tools are very convenient - I use them all the time myself - but it is very very easy to make a mistake when using a graphical tool.

If you are root when you make this mistake, it can wreck your system.

You are best off only using graphical tools as your normal user, and use the command line when you want to be root. I understand that graphical tools are easier, and the command line requires you to learn commands, but this is the way you protect yourself against silly mistakes - and we ALL make silly mistakes from time to time.

Just a word to the wise...
jiml8

Return to Basic support