{SOLVED} Simple San selecting my camera not my scanner

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

{SOLVED} Simple San selecting my camera not my scanner

Postby jimtheplanner » Sep 21st, '20, 21:50

Hi Folks,

I've just done a 7.1 reinstall and I have both KDE & Gnome desktops installed. All appears to be working well with the exception of Simple Scan.

I have an All in one HP-Deskjet-3050A-J611-series which normally runs well with HPLIP installed. However, on the first run of Simple Scan it auto-selects Noname USB 2.0 VGA WebCam:USB2.0V. I have no other choices or options to select that I can see or find to change this.

I've also had a check through previous posts without success.

Any advice most welcome.

Jim
Last edited by jimtheplanner on Sep 22nd, '20, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
jimtheplanner

Re: Simple San selecting my camera not my scanner

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 21st, '20, 22:48

Try to blacklist the camera ( v4l:/dev/video0 ) for sane.
See the last line in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SANE#Slow_startup ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Simple San selecting my camera not my scanner

Postby jimtheplanner » Sep 22nd, '20, 17:12

Thanks Doctor....

Ah.... v4l was the key. I did see the your link from a previous post when I was searching. However, when I edited the list I did not see the camera listed to comment out.

Your reference to v4l made sense, and I was able to comment it out. This removed the reference from Simple Scan however, it did a search for drivers & failed to find the correct driver for my HP. So I scratched my head then updated to testing sources & pulled in the latest HPLIP. I guess it pulled in the correct driver as Simple Scan detected my HP All in One successfully.

Thank you Doctor your help is appreciated....!
Jim
jimtheplanner

Re: {SOLVED} Simple San selecting my camera not my scanner

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 22nd, '20, 18:14

testing repos should not be necessary, according to https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index you only need hplip 3.11.7 for full support and we have 3.19.5 by default and no updates in testing repos.

You only need to setup the scanner once using hp-setup.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support