[SOLVED] Can't start MCC from the main menu

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Can't start MCC from the main menu

Postby omnio » Sep 20th, '20, 06:37

Hi all,

I use LXQT (and openbox) and it seems that I can't start Mageia Control Center from the main menu (but I can start it from terminal, as root).

So this is how it happens:

1. I launch MCC from the menu:
Mageia -> System Tools -> Mageia Control Center.
2. A login window (a la kdesu, gksu) pops up, asking for my user password.
3. I enter my password and nothing happens.

When starting MCC from terminal (as user) it doesn't start either, and this is the output:
Code: Select all
[omnio@localhost ~]$ mcc
Too late to run INIT block at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 257.
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized

This incident has been reported.

Any idea about this?

Thanks,
Omnio
Last edited by omnio on Sep 21st, '20, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
omnio

Re: Can't start MCC from the main menu (or as regular user)

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 20th, '20, 11:43

omnio wrote:2. A login window (a la kdesu, gksu) pops up, asking for my user password.
3. I enter my password and nothing happens.

Did you change anything about the default configuration, e.g. in draksec? https://doc.mageia.org/mcc/7/en/content ... ml#draksec
As the default configuration does not allow you to launch MCC with your user password, you need to enter the root password.
Please attach a screenshot of such an authentication dialog.

Also please provide the output of the following commands, run as your regular user in a terminal:
loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID
ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep -iE "polkit|policykit"
pkexec whoami     # you need to enter your root password when asked by the authentication dialog
echo $DISPLAY
xauth list
cat /etc/hostname

and as root from:
systemctl status polkit.service -a
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby omnio » Sep 21st, '20, 11:12

Doktor, thank you very much for your reply! Sorry for not going through all the commands you wrote, but in the meantime I remembered that at some point in the past I added my user to the wheel group (BTW, in Mageia this seems to be unnecessary since it looks like a regular user can run "su" even when (s)he is not in the wheel group). So I removed my user from the wheel group and now when I start MCC (either from the main menu or from terminal as a regular user) I'm prompted with a window for the root password (instead of my user password as before). So I enter the root password and puff, MCC shows up fine.

Just a note: all these apply to LXQT. In Plasma I could start MCC just fine no matter what.

Thank you,
Omnio
omnio

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 21st, '20, 15:28

omnio wrote:BTW, in Mageia this seems to be unnecessary since it looks like a regular user can run "su" even when (s)he is not in the wheel group)

su is a regular command which can be run by any user, whether that user is in the wheel group or not - that is the same for any linux distro.

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] Can't start MCC from the main menu

Postby omnio » Sep 21st, '20, 17:18

Sure, what I meant is that in some distros you need to be in the wheel group to be able to su to root.
omnio

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 21st, '20, 18:18

Which current distros would that be ?

Most distros apply some default sudo rules to members of the wheel group, and some polkit authentications change from root to user password, as membership in wheel usually marks somebody as an administrative user or main user.
But functionality of su is not affected by that at all.
----
doktor5000

Postby omnio » Sep 21st, '20, 20:53

doktor5000 wrote:Which current distros would that be ?

Gentoo and Funtoo for sure.
omnio

Return to Basic support