[Solved]Multiple instances of ktimer at boot, KDE Mageia 7

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Solved]Multiple instances of ktimer at boot, KDE Mageia 7

Postby newmo » Aug 22nd, '20, 21:03

I cleaned installed a few months back on top of 6. I vaguely remember getting a single ktimer at boot when running Mag6. But I now have seem to have four (they pop up at launch and are now sitting in the system tray). They don't seem to be configured to launch anything.

I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot it. Security is a concern, if I can eliminate that I can live with the symptoms. Googling for more generic KDE resources hasn't got me anything yet.

KAlarm is enabled in Sytsem Settings>Startup and Shutdown no sure if that's related.

I cannot remember ever setting up a ktimer for anything.

I am running Mageia 7
5.6.14-desktop-2.mga7
64 Bit KDE Plasma (plasmashell 5.15.4)
Last edited by newmo on Aug 25th, '20, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
newmo

Re: Multiple instances of ktimer at boot, KDE Mageia 7

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '20, 00:32

If you look in ktimer, are there any timers configured ? Also, did you try to quit all the running ktimer instances ?

Also, what do you have listed in systemsettings under startup and shutdown -> autostart ?
You could also try to start with an empty session, configured under startup & shutdown -> session management
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby newmo » Aug 25th, '20, 20:31

Thank you doktor5000

With an empty session they do not appear

autostart lists just kalarmautostart kalarm --tray

I have not set any ktimers myself, and the four instances that open don't seem to be configured to run anything when I open them. I can close them ok, one by one.

Ktorrent launched with my boot before this one (which is expected - not sure if related)
newmo

Postby newmo » Aug 25th, '20, 21:12

Thanks again. Resolved now. User error/ignorance. I did experiment trying to set up some alerts some time ago and looked at ktimer amongst other things. Combine that with hazy knowledge about persistence between sessions. I quit everything ktimer related I could see and then rebooted fine in a normal session.
newmo

Return to Basic support