Mageia on GPD Win Max, can it?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Re: Mageia on GPD Win Max, can it?

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 5th, '20, 17:03

:?:
Code: Select all
lsinitrd /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img|grep -iE "gpdwinmax|edid"
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root            0 Sep  5 23:34 usr/lib/firmware/edid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          128 Sep  5 23:28 usr/lib/firmware/edid/gpdwinmax.bin
[root@introvertx95 introvertx95]# update-grub2
/etc/default/grub: line 2: drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin: No such file or directory
[root@introvertx95 introvertx95]# lsinitrd /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img|grep -iE "gpdwinmax|edid"
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root            0 Sep  5 23:34 usr/lib/firmware/edid
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          128 Sep  5 23:28 usr/lib/firmware/edid/gpdwinmax.bin
/etc/default/grub: line 2: drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin: No such file or directory
:?:

Don't get it. It shows it's there but this error is what I get from trying to update grub2.

In additon:

/usr/bin/monitor-parse-edid gpdwinmax.bin
usage: monitor-parse-edid [-v] [--perl] [<edid file>]
You can also do "xrandr --prop | monitor-parse-edid"
[root@introvertx95 introvertx95]# /usr/bin/monitor-parse-edid gpdwinmax.bin

The result from trying to parse. I got this result as well on my other unit running M7.1
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 5th, '20, 19:20

doktor5000 wrote:Then adjust your kernel boot options to load that EDID data. In /etc/defaults/grub append to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin

Please show the contents of your /etc/defaults/grub. Seems like you only added "drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin" on a new line.
You're supposed to add it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX which contains the default boot options.

Sabungayam wrote:
[root@introvertx95 introvertx95]# /usr/bin/monitor-parse-edid gpdwinmax.bin

You would need to specify the full path, if gpdwinmax.bin is not in your current directory

/usr/bin/monitor-parse-edid /lib/firmware/edid/gpdwinmax.bin
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 01:23

my /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" splash quiet noiswmd resume=UUID=dfa7e552-30b5-4b65-97fc-214ae11b35d2 audit=0" drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=false
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=n
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=Mageia
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x1280x32
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/maggy/theme.txt
GRUB_TIMEOUT=18

the screen at this time is 800x600 rotated. Gives 2 small screens side by side.
lines are trucated. I put a space and added the line but it dropped down to another line.

I hit space, not return.

/usr/bin/monitor-parse-edid /lib/firmware/edid/gpdwinmax.bin
Name: TV080WUM-NL0
EISA ID: BOE0003
EDID version: 1.3
EDID extension blocks: 0
Screen size: 10.8 cm x 17.2 cm (8.00 inches, aspect ratio 0.63)
Gamma: 2.2
Digital signal
Max video bandwidth: 70 MHz

HorizSync 16-16
        VertRefresh 60-60

# Monitor preferred modeline (60.1 Hz vsync, 77.8 kHz hsync, ratio 0.62, 188 dpi)
        ModeLine "800x1280" 68.5 800 816 832 880 1280 1283 1285 1296 -hsync -vsync
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 01:42

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" splash quiet noiswmd drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin resume=UUID=dfa7e552-30b5-4b65-97fc-214ae11b35d2 audit=0"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=n
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=Mageia
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x1280x32
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=18

Able to:
update-grub2

No result? It does not seem to be reading and applying the custom EDID.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 02:07

Have rebooted a few times... no change

can see no change in xrandr options nor options within display control of Xfce here.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 03:39

QUESTION: Is there any way to just POINT X to this and tell xorg to use it for eDP1 and or Wayland0? Though I don't see any need for Wayland if we can just point xorg to it and say use this for eDP1.

2nd Question: Are any of those other "GRUB_" parameters going against what was pasted about the edid?

Just wondering.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 6th, '20, 11:19

I think the : before the filename is too much,it's only required when changing default output. So should be
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/gpdwinmax.bin
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 11:32

Ok, will try this...
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 6th, '20, 11:37

Sabungayam wrote:QUESTION: Is there any way to just POINT X to this and tell xorg to use it for eDP1 and or Wayland0? Though I don't see any need for Wayland if we can just point xorg to it and say use this for eDP1.

For xorg you can specify the same with the CustomEDID option, see e.g. https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/295795/83329
Although for the intel driver that is not implemented: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98718 so you would have to use drm_kms_helper.edid_firmare as pointed out there.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 11:59

Thank you, that is funny enough the same one I found! Link:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/295795/83329

But was wondering about their comments on it not being implemented for Intel.

I shall restart now & see what happens. Then if no effect on to trying to tell .xorg to use it.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 12:18

drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/gpdwinmax.bin

No change at all.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" splash quiet noiswmd drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/gpdwinmax.bin fbcon=rotate:1 resume=UUID=dfa7e552-30b5-4b65-97fc-214ae11b35d2 audit=0"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_VIDEO=eDP1:800x1280 fbcon=rotate:1
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=n
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=Mageia
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x1280x32
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=18

This is hat I have there.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 12:20

Although for the intel driver that is not implemented: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=98718 so you would have to use drm_kms_helper.edid_firmare as pointed out there.

When doing this, should I use the same string used here or should I use the whole file location such as when parsing earlier?

About to try now.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 12:42

This is what I have put:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Device0"
   Option      "eDP1"   "MonitoreDP1"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "CustomEDID"  "eDP1:drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin"
   Option      "UseEDID" "true"
   Option "PreferredMode" "800x1280"
EndSection

What I understood is for intel it should be under device. I used the line we have been using in the kernel parameter.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 13:08

There was a device section already, shoul I have attempted to modify it instead of making device 0?

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Device0"
   Option      "eDP1"   "MonitoreDP1"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "CustomEDID" "eDP1:drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=:edid/gpdwinmax.bin"
   Option      "UseEDID" "true"
   Option "PreferredMode" "800x1280"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName "Intel 810 and later"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Likely my structure is incorrect as well, there was no example of how to use the drm_kms_helper in xorg

no result.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 6th, '20, 15:18

And you're asking me why I mention that you jump back and forth between topics? Can't you focus at first on getting the EDID information to work in grub ?
And even when telling you that it's not implemented for intel, you still put it into xorg.conf, even with the wrong syntax.

I've checked again regarding drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware, and seems this feature is not currently enabled in our kernel.
[doktor5000@Mageia7VM ~]$ zgrep -i edid /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE is not set
# CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID is not set

You would need to rebuild the kernel to enable that.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 16:20

doktor5000 wrote:
Sabungayam wrote:QUESTION: Is there any way to just POINT X to this and tell xorg to use it for eDP1 and or Wayland0? Though I don't see any need for Wayland if we can just point xorg to it and say use this for eDP1.

For xorg you can specify the same with the CustomEDID option, see e.g. https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/295795/83329

Sorry for jumping around. If you did not wish me to attempt it you could have said let's first see about the EDID. (Not telling me how to do it yet, I take that as a suggestion to try.)

I did not consider it as jumping around because once again, I have the impression though wrong it may be, that what the EDID is doing if we got it in place with the kernel parameters, was basically tell the whole system what this screen is.

Then though there is no rotation or such done in X, because X has the information it is then possible to select the proper size and just rotate it to normal. So I did not think I was jumping around. Sorry for that again.

I understand very much you are trying to help me and I am making lots of mistakes here, but also I hope you can remember that this little area here is way out of my Linux experience and if I seem to be jumping around it is not intentional.

IN fact since it didn't seem to be taking effect in kernel parameters I thought I was focusing on the main which was, X which is why I asked if we could try to get X to just read or use the EDID.

Again my understanding maybe WRONG, is that the EDID can tell the system what hardware this is so it can be managed.

Again apologize and yeah, I figured my syntax on that command was probably way off. I thought also that those links were saying there was a way to do it with Intel using another method?

TO try to avoid further confusion & jumping around, what would you suggest as the next step please? At the moment you have told me that feature is not enabled in the kernel. I will wait for you suggestion what to try next.

Is it possible to be enabled in the full release of Mageia 8?

Thank you again for you help.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 6th, '20, 16:25

Rebuilding the Kernel, I usually avoid that. Which is to say, I think I did it once and it was a long long long time ago.

Do you recommend this course? Or is it possible to just wait a few months and see if it get's added to M8? If there is absolutely no plan to add it in the future, then maybe it's the only answer.

But, unless I am mistaken I would then have to learn how to, lock the kernel version or rebuild every time the kernel is updated, right?

I will humbly wait for your suggestions on this matter because it seems like it could get very complicated very fast. It seems like it may be a bit of work to maintain?

Thank you... will check back for you advice later.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 7th, '20, 18:16

Do I recommend this course? You want to get your hardware working, you would have to decided that yourself.
And if you only wait until Mageia 8, this issue will probably not fix itself. You should probably at least write a short bugreport and ask to enable CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE in the kernel configuration.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly

For CustomEDID in xorg.conf you should provide the full path to the EDID file. So e.g.
Option "CustomEDID" "eDP1:/lib/firmware/edid/gpdwinmax.bin"

although I'd probably not hardcode the output and leave out eDP1:

I can't recommend any next steps, I've already provided you basically all the required information in this thread.
I'd suggest to read up on the topics that you don't understand about.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 8th, '20, 00:31

Thank you for you sound and practical advice.

You want to get your hardware working
:lol:

Yes... indeed. Despite it being made for games, with the decent power in a small package, I do plan
more work uses with this. I don't play games like Steam, etc.

It's supposed to replace an aging laptop.

I will read the "bug report" info. Then submit that.

Thank you again for all your advice and help.

Because I don't understand this aspect, I noticed that the person who wrote the fix, he used "hooks"? Will that work or is it also dependent upon CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE being in the
kernel configuration?

I will give a try with the "customEDID" option.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 8th, '20, 17:06

Sabungayam wrote:Because I don't understand this aspect, I noticed that the person who wrote the fix, he used "hooks"?

If you refer to /etc/initramfs-tools/hooks/edid, this does the same as /etc/dracut.conf.d/99-edid.conf
And update-initramfs -u is the same as dracut -f.

And no, that does not work without CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE.
Because it's just a different tool that creates the initrd, but the kernel still needs to be enabled to support custom EDID loading via drm_helper.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 8th, '20, 23:39

I see, thank you, I was wondering, it is just different commands for the same action. I did file a bug report as suggested. They have said it seems useful and is already in the arm branch but was not enabled on on i586 & x86_64.

Was looking at the previous posts on how to rebuild the kernel as suggested. Still studying that. The one thing I found so far is a bit more about building a generic kernel. What I want to do is build a Mageia kernel with their patches and all and include this aspect that wasn't included.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 8th, '20, 23:55

Posting the link here for completeness sake: https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27261
If you create a bugreport, please always provide a linkback so others wo have the same issue are also able to follow up on that.

On how to recompile a kernel with all the Mageia modifications you currently have, easiest would be to install kernel-source package, then as root go to /usr/src/linux-VERISION and then
make oldconfig
make menuconfig # enable your option here
make

should get the kernel built, although you might need to set LOCALVERSION to some string to distinguish it from the kernel installed via rpms.

Then you would have to install it via
make modules_install
make install

That is, if I remember correctly.

You might want to read some tutorials about that though.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 9th, '20, 11:50

Thank you, that looks like what I am coming across. I am searching the forum as well as goggling.

Where I am a bit confused still, because nothing I have read specifies. In Gentoo, I managed a couple but the micro management is really difficult for me. They eventually break on me. When you do the kernel there is a setup that lets you select what to enable in your kernel.

Is this always the case regardless of distro? In this case I am not sure if I need another source or just the original Mageia sources as I will be given an option somewhere in that process to enable CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE SOURCES.

In the bug report I see where they show that it is actually already there but just not enabled?

Sorry about this silly Noob question.

Sorry about not posting the link to the bugreport. I see your point about others being able to see the status if they have similar or the same issues. Thank you for that.

I will search some more tutorials.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 9th, '20, 13:59

Ok, make menu, found it...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12031

Keep looking until the process is clear to me... thank you for you advice and information.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Sep 9th, '20, 14:14

In the various tutorials, I am coming across, not only are they talking about getting the vanilla kernel but there is mention of making an RPM from the kernel? Is this automatic now? Most of what I am finding that is about Mageia/Mandriva is a bit old.
Sabungayam

PreviousNext

Return to Basic support