Mageia on GPD Win Max, can it?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mageia on GPD Win Max, can it?

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 18th, '20, 08:54

8-) As I am waiting for it to be shipped, I have not TRIED it yet but it is actually my full intention to do so. Sorry but I can't stand Windoz and actually I am getting this unit because despite it's gaming abilities at that power & size, that is a very good sized mobile computer that can go with me. With good power compared to super thins. In fact compared to Super thins... I really like all the NORMAL ports available like a NORMAL laptop as well as USB C. Here are the specs. There is a video by a game tester, Phawx on U-Tub (Youtube for those who like it) where he says Linux is mostly working and well. I forget what minor thing was not but it's no show stopper for me. I think he used Ubuntu which I personally never interact with nor anything based off it.

His one flaw mentioned and I wonder if Mageia 8 with new SSD detection might solve this is that the Win Max is using an nVME SSD and I think it may be Samsung. There is some issue with this SSD and a few others being detected by linux it seems. I searched on Goggle after hearing this to see if there was a work around because I am NOT really interested in trying to open the unit and replace the SSD.

So here are the specs of the hardware, it is pretty much all Intel and do you think this unit would be effected by the reverse dim thing? I don't know if that is on newer or older Intel mobile and I don't have Linux on any intel laptops... Meant to put it on my Win 2 but the hinge broke and I think my comment above indicates how often I take things apart. I am in fact trying to find out if there is a service place here in Japan for GPD that will do it because I would rather NOT though I do have the parts. It's way too complicated to fix that situation on the Win 2. But back to the Win Max. Specs:

Display:
    Touch Panel: Support
    Screen Type: 10 Points-touching Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5,H-IPS Technology
    Screen Size: 8 inches
    Aspect Ratio: 16:10
    Screen Resolution: 1280×800
    Pixels Per Inch: 189PPI

CPU:
    Product model: Intel Core™ i5-1035G7
    # of Cores / # of Threads: 4/8
    Processor Base Frequency: 1.20 GHz
    Turbo Boost: 3.70 GHz
    Level 2: 2 MB
    Level 3: 6 MB
    Bus Speed: 4GT/s OPI
    Core Architecture: Ice Lake-U
    Lithography: 10nm
    TDP: 15 W, 20W, 25W, Adjust in BIOS

GPU:
    Graphics Card: Integrated Graphics
    Processor Graphics: lntel® Iris® Plus Graphics 940
    Graphics Base Frequency: 300 MHz
    Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency: 1.05 GHz
    Execution Unit: 64 EU
    Video Memory: Shared Memory
    4K Image resolution: Support
    HDMI 2.0b: 4Kx2K @48-60Hz 24bpp (RGB/YUV444) 4Kx2K @48- 60Hz 12bpc (YUV420)
    DP 1.4, eDP 1.4b: 4096x2304 60Hz 36bpp 5120x3200 @60Hz 24bpp
    DirectX Support: DX12
    OpenGL Support: 4.5

Storage:
    Memory: 16GB
    Memory Types: LPDDR4X-3733
    Two Channel Memory: Support
    Hard Disk Type: M.2 SSD
    Hard Disk Interface: Socket 3 / Socket 2 Dual Protocol Interface
    Hard Disk Specifications: M.2 2280, Only Supports Single Side Device Layouts
    Hard drive capacity: 512GB, Replaceable, No Capacity Limit
    Bus Specification: PCIe Gen 3.0 × 4 / SATA 3.0
    Transfer Protocol: NVMe 1.3 / AHCI

Multimedia support:
    Audio System: Built-in Sound Chip
    Loudspeakers: Built-in dual speakers
    Microphone: Internal Microphone

Network Communications:
    Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Support 2.4G/5G Dual-band Wi-Fi, Maximum Transmission Rate Of 2402Mbps
    Network Adapter: 10 / 100 / 1000Mbps Ethernet Card
    MU-MIMO: Support
    Bluetooth: 5.0

I/O Port:
    Data / Charging: 1×Thunderbolt 3 1×USB Type-C 3.1 Gen2 2×USB Type- A 3.1 Gen1
    microSDXC Slot: Bus interface: UHS-I Speed Class: Class 10 UHS Speed Class-U3 Video Speed Class: V30 Application Performance Class-A2 Read/Write: 170MB/s, 90MB/s
    Video Interface: 1×HDMI 1×USB Type-C 1×Thunderbolt 3
    Ethernet Interface: 1×RJ45
    Audio Frequency: 1×3.5mm Headset & Microphones

Input / Output Device:
    Keyboard: Chiclet Keyboard, Island-Style Keyboards, QWERTY, Backlight design
    TouchPad: Support Input, With Press Down Button, Support Maximum 3 Fingers Actions
    Mouse: Analog Simulated Mouse, Need To Switch "GamePad / Mouse" Mode
    Joystick: Originally Provided by Japan ALPS, Double 3D Joystick (Compatible With PSV Joystick), Press Supports L3 / R3
    D-Pad: Split Direction Keys
    Game Function Buttons: ABXY、△○×□ Double Character Print, Select, Start
    Game Accessories Buttons: L1/L2/R1/R2, Panasonic Microswitch
    Indicator Lamp: Mute Indicator, Charging Indicator, Operation indicator
    Battery Type: Li-polymer
    Battery Capacity: 57Wh, 11.4V==5000mAh×3 Series Connection
In fact they really are not very forth coming about brand parts etc. I am guessing a lot will be basic intel with the few exceptions mentioned such as controllers for the game etc. Again it was mentioned all that
works with Linux with the issue being that SSD. What does someone with more Hardware knowledge think about these specs and running Mageia on it?

If the SSD is still an issue with the new Hardware support, what's the command, there is supposed to be one to tell Linux how to find it at boot?

Or I think the other work around was to switch the Bios settings I would have to Goggle that again. I think for my intended uses and purposes the NVMe setting is not something I need or will miss.
Sabungayam

Re: Mageia on GPD Win Max, can it?

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 18th, '20, 17:28

NVMe support for the installer should be better nowadays.
Sabungayam wrote:So here are the specs of the hardware, it is pretty much all Intel and do you think this unit would be effected by the reverse dim thing?

What do you mean by reverse dim thing ?

For some tweaks you could take a look if anything from e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPD_Win applies for the GPD Win Max.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby benmc » Aug 18th, '20, 21:22

it is likely, without entering the BIOS, that the SSD is not detected.

likely reason is a BIOS setting, the single SSD is set to raid.
reset to AHCI,
also turn off fast start and secure boot.
you should then be good to go
benmc

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 01:51

OK, thank you and that's it. Reset it to AHCI, yes I think that's what I kept reading so I will still NEED to reset that. Fortunately that SECURE BOOT mess is OFF on their hardware from factory. I will have to check
about the fast start. I will NOT be dual booting this so Windoz will come off permanently.

Thank you for you quick response.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 02:14

@doktor5000

The original Win is very different from the Win2 and this unit the WIN MAX is very very different from the Win 2.

They are just not the same in common. In fact, according to the brief U-Tub video by Phawx the game reviewer, Linux does actually seem to run much better on the Win Max than the other 2 previous units.
I think if I recall correctly, that maybe the touchscreen does not work. The only thing and that's no concern for me. His is a demo unit so hoping that they do not 'change' too many or any parts like with the Win 2
and all will be the same.

Some have asked them if they are making it more compatible with Linux or will release some drivers if needed to help running Linux on it. They have said yes, but it seems they always work with Ubuntu and I don't mess with Ubuntu.

It is being a 10th generation i5 cpu I think very similar to what I am using here. An Intel NUC i7 SkullCanyon, a few generations older but other than the CPU being newer it's all INTEL. Main components anyway.

The reverse DIM.... OK, now I cannot find it and it was always staring me in the face whenever I was reading about installing Mageia 8 It is similar to what I will past here but not the same.

"Some recent Intel systems
As per https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26829#c9, some recent Intel systems require changing noxconf to xdriver=modesetting in the kernel options when booting a Live system, for the graphics to work properly. If using the classical installer, at the summary screen reconfigure the graphics to use the Xorg/modesetting driver rather than the default Intel driver."

I just recall it said something about the dimming setup I guessed that was for laptops and until I get this unit I won't have an all Intel laptop. However having found this, I will also try to keep it in mind as this is newer hardware. Do you think the above will be an issue with this unit? Given it's specs.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 19th, '20, 18:12

Sabungayam wrote:Do you think the above will be an issue with this unit? Given it's specs.

Can't tell from the specs only, usually always depends on little implementation details and quirks.
Also keep in mind that that review you posted is about a prototype, so that might also change when compared against final product.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 19:13

Thank you very much for you reply. I did mention that, hope they don't change the hardware too much in final production. I heard something similar occurred with the Win 2 and then it wan tweak time to get in right.

Well, let's see. They have been a bit behind in shipping. Had hoped to get it while I had some time... but not to be.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 19th, '20, 19:15

Well, you can expect to see me here when I get it. I think I would very much prefer to be using Mageia on it and expect I shall be able to work it out...
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 28th, '20, 18:08

Have my hands on the GPD Win Max.

Mageia 8 sticks on a black screen with quad blurry cursors. I thought it was KDE specific. I had the link which I tried the suggestions but it didn't work. I then tried 8 beta Xfce and got the same result. It is not
likely KDE specific.

I use Mageia 7.1 KDE Live and that's the ticket... almost. the Quad blurriness is the issue. I have included some shots here attached. If I run it without passing and parameters... it will go all the way through and get to a KDE screen, except you can't function with the quad blurred screen. I initially thought it was a problem with the rotation. These devices are always using mobile toi screens and it is rotated to into that horrible portrait mode which on the computer is a sideways screen with all the images and fonts compressed.

I tried passing simple Parameters like: nomodeset but this results in the error "unbable to bind the codec" something to do with sound but from that point... you are unable to continue as it locks up. Have to do a hard shutdown.

So, any suggestions or parameters to deal with this screen? If I enter nomodeset it is clean but it won't make it to starting X complaining about the sound. Yes, the sound works and I can even do a ctrl+alt+bspc to reset X into the login screen. I did this when I rotated the screen to horizontal mode but was still stuck with the blur and unable to reach anymore settings. I was trying to scale the screen and that just doesn't work well with the screen wrong in opposition to the controls for moving the cursor.

I am unfamiliar with how this works, it seems I cannot add any more images with this post. I don't know the limit but seems 3 is all I can send here.
Attachments
20200828_235712_HDRs.jpg
blurry screen standard starting just hit enter no parameters passed
20200828_235712_HDRs.jpg (241.83 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
20200828_235708s.jpg
showing the quad screen blur even before X is really started
20200828_235708s.jpg (744.55 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
20200828_235655_HDRs.jpg
quad blur screen effect
20200828_235655_HDRs.jpg (944.17 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 28th, '20, 18:17

Her is how it looks with parameter "nomodeset"

But can't make it all the way with it. I guess it is something to do with this not being a typical screen. I had a link to include but at the moment don't have it as Mageia 8 crashed when I tried to buetooth connect it to get the images to it. So I am in 7 where bluetooth works and doesn't lock up needing a hard reset. But all the stuff in the browser is gone of course.

I can't find or think of any other parameter to set that will get it to boot and at the same time I don't know how to clear the blurriness once it does boot. When rotated the screen actually loses more function. Background won't show. Sync issue?

I'm not particularly good with hardware. Ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.
Attachments
20200829_000114s.jpg
20200829_000114s.jpg (650.82 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
20200829_000136_HDRs.jpg
20200829_000136_HDRs.jpg (705.99 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
20200829_000027_HDRs.jpg
20200829_000027_HDRs.jpg (281.5 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 28th, '20, 23:51

You could try with kernel boot option fbcon=rotate:1 (should rotate 90° clockwise) although I'm not sure what framebuffer driver is being used.

Would also be helpful if you could post the output of
Code: Select all
lspcidrake -v
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 02:27

Thank you I will try that command, but if I don't enter anything it will give that qaud blur effect. It will load and I will see what happens if the screen is rotated at the beginning but the quad blur is pretty hard for me to read. It may be better hopefully with the screen rotated to horizontal. I just woke up and have a meeting. I will undertake that experiment afterwards. Thank you for the reply.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 07:01

Rotate is not working. The screen resolution is 1280x800 but I am unable to get that setting to hand because "videoinfo" won't work. I have placed that rotate command in several areas with no effect. As if it's totally ignored. This is just Live mode. No install.

THis is what I thought you wanted from the lspcidrake -v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRdaV1cSOfo

This is his test with Linux and he lists all the hardware and at the moment with this quad blur it is totally illegible to. Even letting it boot into X is a bit better but it is not readable in any way.
I have attached some images. Without being able to get rid of the double vision there's nothing I can do that's legible. I tried passing a few xrandr commands letting it boot up. I could not get it to rotate and it's really frustrating and not doable because I can't see, to try to get it rotated with GUI.

I only managed once and then that left more unreadable than when it was rotated the wrong way. Things would just not show.

I tried placing the fbonf=rotate:1 in various places but it seems to have been totally ignored by both 7 and Cauldron/8.

If I use nomodesetting it will then give me a readable screen but, I when it crashes at the point about not being able to use the codecs. I am then unable to get a console by ctrl+alt+fx. It then flashes between that area where it froze and a new console screen. But I am unable to enter anything. Hard reset.

What I remember is the screen resolution is 1280x800 and this is not an option in randr and when I tried to set it with commands it seemed as if they were just not available. I cannot read on that screen with that blur. I have poor eyesight to begin with and I simply can't see very well what is there.

Again that video link he has all the hardware info listed. Later I will try another desktop... perhaps Xfce? I will have to dowload the 7 version of it. Is it possible this would work with Wayland better?

I don't mess with Wayland and have not the 1st clue about it honestly. Other things, in the video the person mentioned something about screen sync being off but, seeing as I can't get pass the blur I am not sure if that is a result of a sync issue or not.

I am really wondering why the fbconf=rotate isn't working. It didn't work on Cauldron/8 nor 7.1. Just seemed to be ingored no matter where I placed it.

It is really strange, if we can get pass the screen effects it appears all works fine.
Attachments
20200829_122741s.jpg
20200829_122741s.jpg (800.74 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
20200829_115028s.jpg
20200829_115028s.jpg (523.45 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
20200829_114712s.jpg
20200829_114712s.jpg (916.65 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 29th, '20, 11:51

Sabungayam wrote:THis is what I thought you wanted from the lspcidrake -v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRdaV1cSOfo

It's not helpful to get the info about some prerelease prototype, would need the information about your actual hardware.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 12:39

Yes, I can see your point there. Who knows what they changed.

I am out of ideas for getting clean output. Because it crashes & I can't get a console on the 2 options that leave a clean screen.

Any ideas for a work around to get some clear output that's legible?

Will the rescue mode of the install image possibly give me a clean console?

I am out of ideas to try. I researched based on your suggestions &tried some other things I saw online bot didn't get anywhere.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 12:45

Is there any way to pursue that 1280x800 screen size?

I keep feeling like that mismatch in size with no 1280x800 option is the heart of the screen blur issue.

I may be totally wrong of course bot just seems that way.

I used to run into some really odd screen effects trying to get a size to fit some projectors at work & I choose an incompatible screen size. Fortunately there was that revert back if you didn't hit ok keep this.

I have seen blur like this before in those misguided attempts.

I can't find something that gives me a vga=xxx for 1280x800.
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 29th, '20, 14:16

Sabungayam wrote:Is there any way to pursue that 1280x800 screen size?

That is partly because 1280x800 is not a standard VESA mode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS ... de_numbers

I wouldn't care about that yet. Try running "videoinfo" or "vbeinfo" in grub command prompt to show available video modes for the framebuffer. This should give you a list of formats that you can use with the vga= kernel boot option.
If you can't get 1280x800 to work then use a smaller resolution with the same aspect ratio (16:10) or some other smaller resolution like 640x480.
Try also with vga=864 which is the only option that gives 1280x800 on some older laptops.

Although that's not really relevant to the running system. If xrandr -q does not list this resolution, then you would need to add it. Explained e.g. here:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... vailable-i
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 14:20

:D From Quad Blur to a tiled screen because no resolutions "fit" this is what I observed. I set it to 800x600.

Tried another desktop image because it appeared in that link the person was using Gnome. I thought Gnome was supposed to use Wayland? Just something I read, I think.
I am totally unfamiliar with it but managed to get the resolution to 800x600 which gave me tiled screens in which it is now possible to actually read and see things.

Everything does seem to really work except there is no matching screen resolution. The command lines I tried before with what I read online using xrandr to add a resolution didn't work.
There also seems to be some mismatch with the sync but there was a choice there that seemed to work. So here is the output.

[live@DESKTOP-83KB56K ~]$ lspcidrake -v
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Device 8a17 [SYSTEM_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:8a17) (rev: 03)
i2c_i801        : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP SMBus Controller [SERIAL_SMBUS] (vendor:8086 device:34a3 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
xhci_pci        : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:34ed subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
Card:Intel 810 and later: Intel Corporation|Device 8a52 [DISPLAY_VGA] (vendor:8086 device:8a52 subv:8086 subd:2212) (rev: 07)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Device 34ef [MEMORY_RAM] (vendor:8086 device:34ef subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
intel_lpss_pci  : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP Serial IO SPI Controller #1 (vendor:8086 device:34ab subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Device 34be [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:34be) (rev: 30)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:34b0) (rev: 30)
intel_lpss_pci  : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (vendor:8086 device:34e8 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
iwlwifi         : Intel Corporation|Device 2723 [NETWORK_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:2723 subv:8086 subd:008c) (rev: 1a)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Device 8a12 [BRIDGE_HOST] (vendor:8086 device:8a12 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 03)
snd_hda_intel   : Intel Corporation|Device 34c8 [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO_DEV] (vendor:8086 device:34c8 subv:10ec subd:111c) (rev: 30)
intel_lpss_pci  : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP Serial IO UART Controller #0 [COMMUNICATION_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:34a8 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
r8169           : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.|RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:10ec device:8168 subv:10ec subd:0123) (rev: 15)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP SPI Controller (vendor:8086 device:34a4 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Device 8a1d [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:8a1d subv:0060 subd:0000) (rev: 03)
mei_me          : Intel Corporation|Device 34e0 [COMMUNICATION_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:34e0 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
unknown         : Silicon Motion, Inc.|Device 2263 (vendor:126f device:2263) (rev: 03)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Device 8a03 [SIGNAL_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:8a03 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 03)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP LPC Controller [BRIDGE_ISA] (vendor:8086 device:3482 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
intel_lpss_pci  : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (vendor:8086 device:34e9 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
xhci_pci        : Intel Corporation|Device 8a13 [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:8a13 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 03)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Device 34ba [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:34ba) (rev: 30)
unknown         : Intel Corporation|Ice Lake-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [STORAGE_SATA] (vendor:8086 device:34d3 subv:8086 subd:7270) (rev: 30)
hub             : Linux 5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7 xhci-hcd|xHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0002)
hub             : Linux 5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7 xhci-hcd|xHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0003)
hub             : Linux 5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7 xhci-hcd|xHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0002)
usb_storage     : SanDisk|Cruzer Switch [Mass Storage|SCSI|Bulk-Only] (vendor:0781 device:5572)
usbhid          :  |Mouse for Windows [Human Interface Device|No Subclass|Mouse] (vendor:2f24 device:0118)
btusb           : Intel Corp.|Unknown [Wireless|Radio Frequency|Bluetooth] (vendor:8087 device:0029)
hub             : Linux 5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7 xhci-hcd|xHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0003)
hid_generic     :   Mouse for Windows
hid_generic     :   Mouse for Windows
hid_generic     : HTIX5288:00 093A:0255
[live@DESKTOP-83KB56K ~]$

It looks like an all Intel Machine which it was supposed to be, so I expected good support.

Screenshot below of the same info.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 20-32-32.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 20-32-32.png (149.66 KiB) Viewed 5974 times
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 20-32-05.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 20-32-05.png (158.94 KiB) Viewed 5974 times
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 29th, '20, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 14:28

doktor5000 wrote:"I wouldn't care about that yet. Try running "videoinfo" or "vbeinfo" in grub command prompt to show available video modes for the framebuffer. This should give you a list of formats that you can use with the vga= kernel boot option."

I can try the other command "vbeinfo". I tried "videoinfo" earlier and it didn't work. It was saying that command was not found.

I didn't come across "vbeinfo" in my searches.

Yes, the resolution wouldn't be common. It's an 8 inch screen and I will check the link you have given me... not the same link I tried before. But his instructions are better explained step by step and now from Gnome I have a sync rate that seems to work for this screen. I didn't have that before and could not see very well in KDE with the quad problem.

I just did pretty much do what he says here to no effect in Plasma Live. In fact even the final thing I tried just to rotate the screen with xrandr just did nothing.

I will try again as I have Gnome still up on it now and legible. That helps a lot.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 29th, '20, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added quote tags
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 29th, '20, 14:51

Sabungayam wrote:I can try the other command "vbeinfo". I tried "videoinfo" earlier and it didn't work. It was saying that command was not found.

Where did you try that? As mentioned, this is a grub command, and only meant for within grub command line. This is not meant for the running system.
For the running system a similar command would be
hwinfo --framebuffer

You have to distinguish between video mode for bootloader & framebuffer, which only supports a limited number of usually VESA-compatible modes.
The other part is the running system when X server is already up, which can be controlled either dynamically via xrandr or via xorg.conf xorg.conf.d droplets.

Sidenote, you're also jumping too much between topics, you should probably concentrate on one issue at a time.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 15:58

Sabungayam wrote:Rotate is not working. The screen resolution is 1280x800 but I am unable to get that setting to hand because "videoinfo" won't work. I have placed that rotate command in several areas with no effect. As if it's totally ignored. This is just Live mode. No install.

I did this when passing or trying to pass parameters in grub. I read that you can find the available modes in Grub2 by getting the command prompt and typing: "videoinfo"
Grub2 said no such command.

I really didn't try much of anything once X started because I cannot really see clearly. This morning when I saw you reply I tried to edit Grub2 and add: fbconf=rotate:1
That was ignored and I tried placing it in a few places and removing quiet splash as well. It was just ignored. No effect at all.

So with the other command you offered: "vbinfo" I can try it next time I start a live. These are all lives at the moment. My habit is to see how they do before I install and I had not
gotten the SDcard that I will initially install to. It is here now as of today.

Since the screen resolution seem to be the major fault here, then that's what I will try to work on. Since I am in X now with Gnome running very unfamiliar environment :? , I will use the "hwinfo --framebuffer" to see if I can see anything different than what the Gnome desktop shows which is really only 2 solutions.

Plasma showed more but it was such a mess I could never find the buttons accurately. Even getting into the display settings was very touch and go. Usually I miss.

I am not aware that I am jumping between topics as I think the primary issue I have been talking about is trying to get screen I can see clearly on. Everything seems to work. Sound, etc.

Just I can't see anything when it loads X.

I will try to keep my comments more focused to avoid confusing others... sorry.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 16:07

The experiments with xrandr I did today after seeing you reply. I wan unable to get the rotation to work from Grub2.

I was ending up in Plasma so I tried from the terminal after taking the photos to show that it's just totally illegible.

That's when xrandr seemed to be ignored. I tried what I read to add the 1280x800. It failed and I couldn't see the output response very well. I then used the xrander rotate command I saw on that page
and it also failed. Done as superuser in konsole in Plasma.

That is when I tried those. I had other things to do today so I dowloaded Xfce and Gnome Lives to see what benefit I may get from them. The simpler setup of Gnome was a benefit because I was able to easily find the and change screen resolution despite the crazy blur.

So this is where I am now. With a Gnome Live up and just seeing basically how a things work. Then I will try in a terminal emulator to add the 1280x800 as you suggested and gave me a link to. If I can't find any other matching resolutions with the "hwinfo --framebuffer" command.
Sabungayam

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 16:39

this command not found?

xrandr output seems like Gnome is using Wayland.

Will that effect anything with xrandr commands?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 23-34-30.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 23-34-30.png (102.32 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
Sabungayam

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 29th, '20, 16:44

hwinfo is contained in the package of the same name, you might need to install that. But as mentioned, that is only relevant for framebuffer output format, not your your actual desktop session.

And you should also test without wayland, on the login screen select e.g. gnome classic as session. Also use xrandr under your normal user, not as root.
----
doktor5000

Postby Sabungayam » Aug 29th, '20, 16:56

Afraid I don't know what my error is here.

All I typed is in the screenshot as well as xrandr -q output.

I do now recognize the outpur, same as I got in Plasma:

[root@DESKTOP-83KB56K live]# gtf 1280 800 59.7

# 1280x800 @ 59.70 Hz (GTF) hsync: 49.43 kHz; pclk: 83.05 MHz
  Modeline "1280x800_59.70"  83.05  1280 1344 1480 1680  800 801 804 828  -HSync +Vsync

[root@DESKTOP-83KB56K live]# xrandr --newmode "1280x800_59.70"  83.05  1280 1344 1480 1680  800 801 804 828  -HSync +Vsync
[root@DESKTOP-83KB56K live]# xrandr --addmode VGA0 "1280x800_59.70"
xrandr: cannot find output "VGA0"
[root@DESKTOP-83KB56K live]# xrandr --addmode Screen 0 "1280x800_59.70"
xrandr: unrecognized option '1280x800_59.70'
Try 'xrandr --help' for more information.
[root@DESKTOP-83KB56K live]# xrandr --addmode Screen 0 "1280x800_59.70"
xrandr: unrecognized option '1280x800_59.70'
Try 'xrandr --help' for more information.
[root@DESKTOP-83KB56K live]#

I guess because it's not using "VGA"?
I tried as you see using Screen 0.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 23-50-08.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-29 23-50-08.png (93.68 KiB) Viewed 5961 times
Last edited by isadora on Aug 29th, '20, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please place command-output between [CODE]-tags, to improve readability, thanks ahead!!! ;)
Sabungayam

Next

Return to Basic support