Acrobat Reader on Mageia 7.1 (Success!)

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Acrobat Reader on Mageia 7.1 (Success!)

Postby xi » Aug 18th, '20, 01:44

Hi,

Just opening this topic to help anyone who would like to install Adobe Acrobat Reader (acroread) on Mageia 7 64 bits.

I know there are plenty free PDF readers, however acroread is the one with best forms support, and for anyone reading datasheets, acroread has a powerful search tool (CTRL + SHIFT + F) that shows a list of all the results found in the document.

Step by step procedure to install Acrobat Reader on a fresh Mageia 7.1 install
  • Enable 32bits packages sources
    Acrobat Reader for Linux only exists in 32 bits version, so we need 32 bits libraries to get it working (I am on a 64 bits system).
    Just launch drakconf and add "Core 32bit Release / Updates", "Nonfree 32bit Release / Updates", "Tainted 32bit Release / Updates" packages sources.
  • Download the latest acrobat reader available for Linux
    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/un ... ux_enu.rpm
  • Install the following 32 bits packages by running this command (as root) in a terminal:
    urpmi --ignorearch libidn12 libatk1.0 libfontconfig libgdk_pixbuf2.0 libglib2.0 libgtk+-x11-2.0 libpangox1.0_0 libpango1.0 libx11 libxext libxml2 libxt6 libmesaglu1
    (note the --ignorearch parameters which allows urpmi to install 32 bits packages even if the system is running in 64 bits mode)
  • Try to install Acrobat Reader:
    rpm -ivh AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm
    erreur : Dépendances requises:
    libidn.so.11 est nécessaire pour AdobeReader_enu-9.5.5-1.i486

There should be only one missing dependency: libidn.so.11 (Mageia 7.1 provides libidn.so.12). If more dependencies are missing, you have to install them manually (always in 32 bits / i586 version) using urpmi or rpmdrake.
    As for libidn, it seems not really useful (acroread works fine without, and "ldd /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/* | grep -i idn" doesn't show anything, meaning it's most likely not even used)
  • So, let's install acroread for real:
    rpm -ivh --nodeps AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm

Done, you can now launch Acrobat Reader, eg from command line: "acroread" command.

Note: if you want to uninstall, the package name is not the same as the installed one! Uninstall command: rpm -e AdobeReader_enu-9.5.5-1
xi

Re: Acrobat Reader on Mageia 7.1 (Success!)

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 18th, '20, 17:13

I'd suggest not to use Acrobat Reader anymore at all, it has not received any security updates since over 7 years,
and PDFs also carry a lot of attack surface due to possibly embedded javascript which is pretty common these days.

E.g. okular also provides form support. And e.g. evince also provides a list of search results, if you really need that.

If you really need Adobe Acrobat I'd probably suggest to install a current windows version via wine/winetricks: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=32266
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Acrobat Reader on Mageia 7.1 (Success!)

Postby wgunruh » May 12th, '21, 03:58

The problem is that some places (especially governments) have forms that are ONLY readable by Acroread. Okular does not work. Thus if you use it ONLY for such situations, you may reduce the attack surface. I certainly would not advocat the general use of acroread for reading random pdf files.
The above procedure seems to also work on Mageia 8, but at least for me it asked for each of the pre-installed packages whether I wanted the 64 or 32 bit package.
wgunruh

Return to Basic support