[Solved] Simplenote RPM install error.

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Solved] Simplenote RPM install error.

Postby globetrotterdk » Jul 12th, '20, 23:16

I am getting an error message when I try to install the Simplenote RPM on my Mageia KDE 7.1 install. Please see the error message below, so that I can get the package installed.

It would also be helpful for a new Mageia user such as myself to have some guidelines as to when we can install RPM packages, such as those designed for Fedora or OpenSuse.
Attachments
simplenote.png
simplenote.png (14.96 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Last edited by globetrotterdk on Jul 13th, '20, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk

Re: Simplenote RPM install error.

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 13th, '20, 16:46

globetrotterdk wrote:It would also be helpful for a new Mageia user such as myself to have some guidelines as to when we can install RPM packages, such as those designed for Fedora or OpenSuse.

Well, why do you assume that you can install packages designed for Fedora or OpenSuse without issues on Mageia?
This is the same for all distro-specific packages: You can install them, as long as you don't get any errors or know what the errors mean and how to workaround them.

In your case no package in the currently configured repositories provides the facility "libXtst".
Code: Select all
[doktor5000@Mageia7VM ~]$ urpmq --whatprovides libXtst
No package named libXtst
[doktor5000@Mageia7VM ~]$

Hence you would have to try an installation ignoring the dependencies using urpmi --allow-nodeps

I'd suggest installing simplenote via AppImage: https://www.appimagehub.com/p/1223177/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Simplenote RPM install error.

Postby globetrotterdk » Jul 13th, '20, 20:58

doktor5000 wrote:
globetrotterdk wrote:It would also be helpful for a new Mageia user such as myself to have some guidelines as to when we can install RPM packages, such as those designed for Fedora or OpenSuse.

Well, why do you assume that you can install packages designed for Fedora or OpenSuse without issues on Mageia?
This is the same for all distro-specific packages: You can install them, as long as you don't get any errors or know what the errors mean and how to workaround them.

I don't, that is why I asked.

doktor5000 wrote:In your case no package in the currently configured repositories provides the facility "libXtst".
Code: Select all
[doktor5000@Mageia7VM ~]$ urpmq --whatprovides libXtst
No package named libXtst
[doktor5000@Mageia7VM ~]$

Hence you would have to try an installation ignoring the dependencies using urpmi --allow-nodeps

I'd suggest installing simplenote via AppImage: https://www.appimagehub.com/p/1223177/

I will give the AppImage version a try.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk

Return to Basic support