[solved] application runs momentarily and disappear

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[solved] application runs momentarily and disappear

Postby JJF1 » Jul 7th, '20, 13:21

1. I successfully installed Arduino IDE on my dual screen Mageia 7 cinnamon desktop
2. The Arduino Desktop icon was displayed when the installation finished
3. Trying to run Arduino by pressing the desktop icon, the application screen showed momentarily and than disappeared.
4. I can (only) run it as root from the Arduino folder pressing " ./arduino " (without the quotation marks) [Arduino executable icon]. It , then, runs OK.

How can I run the application from the self generated Desktop icon as "normal" user?
Please advise
JJF
Last edited by JJF1 on Jul 7th, '20, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
JJF1

Re: application runs momentarily and disappear

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 7th, '20, 18:35

JJF1 wrote:4. I can (only) run it as root from the Arduino folder pressing " ./arduino " (without the quotation marks) [Arduino executable icon]. It , then, runs OK. F

What happens when you run that as a regular user, please post the complete output here.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby JJF1 » Jul 7th, '20, 20:23

In my previous post I failed to mention that I run "./arduino " from within the folder were arduino executable is located. i.e.: /home/user/Arduino/arduino-1.8.13/
If I run it as root, it started the arduino application normally.

Following is the output when I run it as normal user

./arduino
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS:
Set log4j store directory /home/jacob/.arduino15
Incorrect IDE installation folder: Your copy of the IDE is installed in a subfolder of your sketchbook.
Please move the IDE to another folder.

Apparently, Arduino was installed in this PC running previous Mageia version.

How do I go from here?

JJF
JJF1

Postby JJF1 » Jul 7th, '20, 20:57

As was obvious from the quote I added in my previous reply, I moved the arduino IDE 1.8.13 to the correct folder and now I can run it as a normal user from the desktop icon
Tks
JJF
JJF1

Return to Basic support