Problems installing on NVME SSD

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Problems installing on NVME SSD

Postby ihowarth » Jun 19th, '20, 22:56

I just acquired a new Dell machine with an NVME SSD and a separate HDD. This is my first new box for a while, so UEFI stuff is new to me, but turning secure boot off in the bios (leaving UEFI on) and enabling boot from the CD/DVD drive went okay.

So i'm now trying to install Mg 7.1 from DVD. Boots from the DVD, but when the install gets to the point of partitioning, only the HDD is showing up -- the SSD (where, of course, i want to install the second OS) just hasn't been detected.

Looking round, i can see that NVME drives have caused folk problems, but i can't see anything that matches my situation (at least, nothing comprehensible at my pay grade). Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
ian

p.s. intention is to dual-boot with (pre-installed) Windoze10
ihowarth

Re: Problems installing on NVME SSD

Postby benmc » Jun 20th, '20, 00:11

just check in the bios if the the hdd is set for raid or intel optane.
if so you will need to change it to AHCI.
reboot and see if Windows can live with the change.

if good to go, the installer should now see your nvme device
if not good to go, you will have to fix Windows to boot from a AHCI device, which may mean a re-install.
then you should be good to install Mageia
benmc

Postby ihowarth » Jun 20th, '20, 00:36

Thanks, i'll give it a go -- tomorrow!
ihowarth

Postby magic » Jun 20th, '20, 01:20

If you make the change with win10 set to restart in safe mode it seems to sort itself out, at least it did for me - see i.e. https://www.tenforums.com/customization/104898-switch-raid-ahci.html
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby aguador » Jun 25th, '20, 20:18

Ihowarth,

How did this work out? What was your solution in the end? I see an NVME SSD in my rather near future.

Oh, and if you have solved this, perhaps mark the thread SOLVED?
aguador

Postby ihowarth » Jun 25th, '20, 21:04

Hi, i got as far as changing the HDD interface to AHCI (going into Windoze safe boot beforehand, then switching back afterwards), after which it will still boot into Windoze without qualms. However, attempting to boot off the DVD now just triggers a system diagnostic check :(

I figure there's just some bios setting i need to tweak, but i haven't yet had the free couple of hours that it will inevitably take to work through this -- hopefully this w/end. I'll report back with any progress (or lack of it!)

Thanks...
ihowarth

Postby ihowarth » Jul 9th, '20, 16:01

Update: still not making much progress. The basic state of play remains:

(1) With the HDD interface set to RAID (the setup on delivery, notwithstanding that there's no RAID actually configured), the system will boot off the DVD, but the NVME drive isn't recognised during install.
(2) With the HDD interface set to AHCI, i can't get the system to boot off DVD -- it just goes into a system check mode. I've fiddled about with BIOS settings moderately extensively, to no avail.

Watch this space... (or make a suggestion!)
ihowarth

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 9th, '20, 17:05

Did you try to boot from USB ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ihowarth » Jul 9th, '20, 17:19

Not yet — believe it or not, I don’t have a usb stick to hand at the moment(!). On the list...
ihowarth

Problems installing Mg8 on NVME SSD

Postby ihowarth » Apr 25th, '21, 12:59

Having failed to get Mg7 to recognise the NVME SSD on my Dell box several months back, i parked this until Mg8 came along with its improved hardware support. I've now given it another go, installing from the live DVD.

No change. I've found no way of getting Mg8 to recognize the SSD, let alone install to it.

I expect i'm doing something wrong, or have missed something obvious, as my setup is far from exotic -- Dell box with a traditional HDD plus an NVME SSD, on which Win10 is installed. No problem installing Mg8 onto the HDD (except that it doesn't see the SSD), but the only way of dual booting is to go through the BIOS -- the Win boot manager doesn't know about linux (of course!), and GRUB doesn't see the SSD with Windoze.

Any (constructive!) suggestions very welcome....
ihowarth

Re: Problems installing Mg8 on NVME SSD

Postby mirej » Apr 25th, '21, 15:30

Installing Linux with Win-10, even with two HDDs, requires a few steps.
Windows-10
1. Disable file indexing.
2. Disable quick start.
I suggest physically unplugging the drive from Windows before installing Mageia-8.
Check if UEFI See SSD. You may need to change the UEFI settings.
Install Magei-8 on a grub-2 SSD. If Mageia-8 works fine. Turn your computer off. Only now connect the HDD with windows.
Boot from DVD / SD Mageia-8 run installation / update Mageia-8. After a while the post-installation menu will appear save GRUB2. Windows-10 will added to the bot-menu.
Last edited by mirej on Apr 25th, '21, 19:49, edited 2 times in total.
mirej

Postby rdsmarin » Apr 25th, '21, 16:02

Helo!

I am Brazilian, and installed the Mageia 8 operating system and I am new to the Linux system.

I would like to know how I install the security module of Banco do Brasil, because there is an error in the installation.

At the
Ricardo Sena

Olá!

Eu brasileiro, e instalei o sistema operacional Mageia 8 e sou novo no sistema linux.

Gostaria de saber como eu instalo o modulo de segurança do Banco do Brasil, pois está tendo erro na instalação.

At
Ricardo Sena
rdsmarin

Postby ihowarth » Apr 25th, '21, 21:24

ricardo, this is pretty off-topic! You probably need to contact your bank, or else raise a separate thread in which you describe more fully the nature of the "module"
ihowarth

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '21, 00:19

rdsmarin wrote:I would like to know how I install the security module of Banco do Brasil, because there is an error in the installation.

Hi there, please create a separate thread for your issue.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '21, 00:27

Is this still the same system as in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13560 ? If so, I'd merge the threads.

You may want to add some details, if you boot the live DVD in legacy or in UEFI mode.
But you may need a kernel path for your nvme controller to recognise the drive by default without adding any quirks manually. Have a look at e.g. https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28417

Also, the ouput as root from the following commands would be helpful:
Code: Select all
nvme list
dmesg |grep nvme
lspcidrake -v
lsblk
----
doktor5000

Postby ihowarth » Apr 26th, '21, 00:33

Hi Dok, yes, same system, same problem -- erm, is there a "how-to" for merging threads? Thanks for the suggestions, i'll follow up tomorrow.
ihowarth

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 26th, '21, 17:47

ihowarth wrote:erm, is there a "how-to" for merging threads?

No, as that's only possible for forum moderators and admins - and it doesn't need a howto.
----
doktor5000

Postby ihowarth » Apr 26th, '21, 18:16

Ah, and it is done! Thanks. (When you wrote "I'd merge the threads" i hadn't understood that "I" was meant literally -- a native English speaker would write "I will merge" rather than "I would merge" [sorry, i spent part of my life as a copy editor...])
ihowarth

Return to Basic support