Will 32-bit continue to be supported in Mageia 8

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Will 32-bit continue to be supported in Mageia 8

Postby meurglys » May 26th, '20, 04:14

I'm wondering if 32-bit programs and install media will still be supported in the upcoming release Mageia 8? Are there any plans to phase it out?
meurglys

Re: Will 32-bit continue to be supported in Mageia 8

Postby martinw » May 26th, '20, 09:28

There are no plans to phase it out yet.

It is getting increasingly difficult to support CPUs that don't implement the SSE2 instructions. Already in Mageia 7, Plasma and Qt-based applications may fail on such CPUs. There was discussion about changing our minimum CPU requirement to i686+SSE2, but no agreement was reached, so Mageia 8 will still support i586 as much as Mageia 7 does.
martinw

Postby wintpe » Jun 4th, '20, 20:44

re i686+SSE2
that pretty much excludes a significant bit of true 32 bit hardware.
only the 32 bit atoms, 32 bit pentium 4's, and some Sempron 3000+ in socket 754, and newer and Athlon XP-M
support i686+SSE2
excludes all of the athlon 32 (socket A) and pentiuim 3 and older processors.
of course its still useful on low specced 64 bit systems as well.
regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby meurglys » Jun 4th, '20, 21:02

Thanks for replying back. Good to know.
meurglys

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 4th, '20, 21:33

wintpe wrote:support i686+SSE2
excludes all of the athlon 32 (socket A) and pentiuim 3 and older processors.

Well yes and no. The major problem is that more and more software requires SSE2, and there aren't many i586 CPU's that support SSE2,
so it makes more sense to make use of the better optimised compiler flags for i686 as the lowest common denominator.

Also it's not like we choose to exclude CPU's that don't support SSE2, but when many larger upstream projects require SSE2 support (e.g. Qt, Firefox, ...)
then we as a smaller distro with not a lot of active developers can't really afford to keep supporting non-SSE2 versions via custom patches.

And to be honest, if you try running a regular mainstream distro on anything that old, the better approach is to get some distro with a smaller footprint, IMHO.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support