Is updating to Mageia 7 worthwhile?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Is updating to Mageia 7 worthwhile?

Postby DENNIS1940 » Apr 7th, '20, 02:34

It may be one way to get around the issues that I have with Mageia 6 but is there a risk of lost data?
The problems I have with 6 are that it will not copy data to external memory or write to a cd disk.
dennis
DENNIS1940

Re: Is updating to Mageia 7 worthwhile?

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 7th, '20, 17:04

Every upgrade comes with the possible risk of data loss, so you should ensure your backups are current.
That being said, the upgrade path is usually low-risk. Although an upgrade will not magically fix each and every configuration issue that your system might have, so keep that in mind.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby kajosim » Apr 10th, '20, 15:17

Concidering your problems I would personally go for a fresh clean install of Mageia7 (assuming you have enough RAM)

Re backup of your data :
- try another USB HD storage. Preferable a USB2 type.
- if you have a seperate /home partition then you could take the risk : do a clean install mount /home but DO-NOT format /home. Then your files should be like before.
- mount another HD inside the computer. Mount it (and format - using MCC) and copy all your files to the new HD.
- if your computer is connected to a router then get/borrow another (Linux) computer/laptop (maybe a LiveDVD Linux) and connect to the same router. You will need to set the firewalls to "No firewall" (in MCC). Knowihng the IP of both PCs you should be able to use a file manager to copy files.
- take the exiting HD out of the computer and use a USB-to-HD cable set (works like an external USB storage) to connect it to another Linux computer where you will be able to mount your old HD.

Re writing to CD disk. On many Linuxes it is not obvious that every user should have access to writing CD disks. You may need to add yourself to a group for burning (in MCC). If you use K3b for burning it will tell which group it is (If I recall).
kajosim

Postby DENNIS1940 » Apr 11th, '20, 05:48

Your suggestion makes sense to me. Thanks, hard drives are inexpensive.
I would be able to use the "control center" of the new operating system to move files.
Very good idea.
dennis
DENNIS1940

Postby DENNIS1940 » May 1st, '20, 12:58

kajosim wrote:Concidering your problems I would personally go for a fresh clean install of Mageia7 (assuming you have enough RAM)

Re backup of your data :
- try another USB HD storage. Preferable a USB2 type.

- if you have a seperate /home partition then you could take the risk : do a clean install mount /home but DO-NOT format /home. Then your files should be like before.

- mount another HD inside the computer. Mount it (and format - using MCC) and copy all your files to the new HD.

- if your computer is connected to a router then get/borrow another (Linux) computer/laptop (maybe a LiveDVD Linux) and connect to the same router. You will need to set the firewalls to "No firewall" (in MCC). Knowihng the IP of both PCs you should be able to use a file manager to copy files.

- take the exiting HD out of the computer and use a USB-to-HD cable set (works like an external USB storage) to connect it to another Linux computer where you will be able to mount your old HD.

Re writing to CD disk. On many Linuxes it is not obvious that every user should have access to writing CD disks. You may need to add yourself to a group for burning (in MCC). If you use K3b for burning it will tell which group it is (If I recall).

Using my live mageia dvd, I copied the files that I need to an empty usb stick using my live dvd from which I originally installed Mageia. The Mageia I have been running is clearly damaged, (Damaged, I assume, by the online update of it that I tried a few months ago ) . In spite of its damage, my old installed Mageia continues to work in most situations.

I appreciate your practical suggestions. I will probably stay with Mageia 6.1

Can I repair my version of Mageia by installing on top of it the undamaged version Mageia from my dvd? I'd guess that this is not a good idea.

The hard drive involved is partitioned into Windows and Mageia. The second hard drive in this computer has Susie 42.2 which had some automatic updates which caused its operation to limp along. I am happy to be using Mageia particularly as (unlike the susie group) the Mageia user group has actually helped me .
DENNIS1940

Postby doktor5000 » May 1st, '20, 14:57

DENNIS1940 wrote: Can I repair my version of Mageia by installing on top of it the undamaged version Mageia from my dvd? I'd guess that this is not a good idea.

That is what he recommended to you. Just make sure to keep your /home partition, although if you don't have a problem losing your settings/documents then you can simply install on top of it.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support