[SOLVED] broadcasting a webpage over private network ?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] broadcasting a webpage over private network ?

Postby vmunich » Apr 1st, '20, 09:20

Hi everyone,
at home I have 2 computers on.
A computer I use for work with Windows running on it, and my "private" computer with Mageia.

With my Windows computer, i would like to be able to see (preferably using a browser) a webpage that is open on my Mageia laptop...

How could I set my Mageia computer so that it allows me to see a webpage opened on this computer ?

VNC is a solution but it sounds a little too much for such a simple problem.

Any idea ?

Thanks !
Vincent
Last edited by vmunich on Apr 2nd, '20, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent
--
Mandrake since 1998, then Mandriva, then Mageia....
vmunich

Re: broadcasting a webpage over private network ?

Postby banjo » Apr 1st, '20, 16:49

It depends on what you mean by "see" and where the web page is located.

If it is a web page out on the web, just bring it up in the Windows browser.

If it is your own web page, and you want to view the web page in a browser local to the Windows computer, you can install apache on your Mageia computer and publish your web page locally on the Mageia computer. The Mageia computer then becomes a server on your local network. Your windows computer should be able to access the web page as it normally would with any sever. You might have to mess around with the URL, use the IP address of the Mageia computer, etc. But it should work.

If you want to see the screen that is being displayed on the Mageia computer on the Windows computer, that is a different issue. For that you would have to do a remote login of some sort.

Or maybe I am missing the point of the question.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 1st, '20, 18:11

I also don't get the point of the question, some context information would be appreciated.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby vmunich » Apr 2nd, '20, 14:36

thank you Dok and Banjo for trying to help.

> If it is a web page out on the web, just bring it up in the Windows browser.

This is what I don't want to do. The Mageia computer is my personal, which I use e.g. for banking, personal emails...
The Windows computer belongs to the company I work for. Both computer are at my home at the moment, I have to work using the Windows computer.

Using the Windows computer, I don't want to check e.g. web pages related to banking or private emails...
So I thought I could open those web pages on my personal computer (Mageia), and regularly check them using a browser on my Windows computer - said browser calling/showing the page from the Mageia computer (so I don't have to type the URL of these web pages (banking or whatever) on the browser of my Windows computer - a matter of privacy)

> If it is your own web page
No it is not my own web page. The web page is being refreshed regularly on the Mageia computer.

I wish I could use a browser on my Windows computer in order to "see" a browser window opened on my Mageia computer... I propose a browser because this is the kind of software that is always available (contrary to e.g. VNC/ssh client)

I know this project is tricky, but maybe there is a way....

> If you want to see the screen that is being displayed on the Mageia computer on the Windows computer, that is a different issue. For that you would have to do a remote login of some sort.
This would basically be a solution. I know VNC but this is (I think) too big for the simple task I want to do.
Vincent
--
vmunich

Postby banjo » Apr 2nd, '20, 15:17

I presume that the two computers are physically separated so you can't just peek around the corner to look at the Mageia computer.

You might take this as an opportunity to get up from your chair on a regular basis to physically visit the Mageia computer for a look. You shouldn't sit all day at your work computer anyway.

You could hook up a web cam so that it is looking at the Mageia screen. A long USB cable could present the web cam image on the Windows computer. Of course that depends on how far away the Mageia computer is located and the availability of a web cam..... and a long USB cable. Considering the sensitivity of the information you are displaying on the Mageia computer, you probably do not want to livestream the image.

I don't know of any software tools that are simpler than a VNC that can send a desktop image across the local network.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Postby vmunich » Apr 2nd, '20, 15:27

> I presume that the two computers are physically separated so you can't just peek around the corner to look at the Mageia computer.
Yes !

>You shouldn't sit all day at your work computer anyway.
Also right :->

Thanks a lot for trying to help Banjo.

I consider this "issue" resolved.
Vincent
--
vmunich

Return to Basic support