[Solved] Can't use Plasma on laptop with M7. M6 and 5 OK

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[Solved] Can't use Plasma on laptop with M7. M6 and 5 OK

Postby DiBosco » Jan 27th, '20, 20:52

Folks,

Finally gort round to updating my Toshiba Satellite to Mageia 7 which has a ybrid graphics card. It has happily run the previous two versions of Mageia and Plasma.

As always, I wiped by /boot amd / partitions, keeping /opt and /home

I installed with plasma and at first I could get into KDE just fine, but then it the screen switched off and when I went back it said:

The Screen locker is broken and unlocking is not possible anymore. In order to unlock switch to a virtual terminal and run loginctl unlock-session 1. Afterwards go back to your session using CTL-ALT-F1

So I did that, but it was a blank screen and now, even after reinstalling from scratch I cannot run KDE.

I've tried deleting .kde and .kde4, I've tried creating another user, but no matter what I do, it just keeps telling me:

KWin is unstable, it seems to have crashed several times in a row, You can select another window manager to run,

It gives me the choice of kwin_x11 but that just keeps coming back to the same error message.

xfce works.

I've tried adding blacklist=nouveau at the kernel boot line.which didn't help,

Becasue I get Nouveau pointer to table invalid and others with similar probkems had come across that.

I also tried nouveau.modeset=0 and that warned me there would be issues with video stability. The machine wouldn't boot like that.

I have tried removing x11-driver-video-nouveau to no avail. If I try and remove lib64drm_nouveau2 it tells me it's stripping out almost every component of KDE plus Firefox and all sorts.

It's if course completely possible it's nowt to do with nouveau, but that is one of the very few things that's given problems over the years with Mageia - especially on laptops.

Is anyone able to help please? If there's any more information that would be useful am more than happy to supply.

Thanks!
Last edited by DiBosco on Jan 29th, '20, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
DiBosco

Re: Can't use Plasma on laptop with M7. M6 and 5 were fine

Postby benmc » Jan 28th, '20, 20:59

would you consider re-installing Mga6 and then on-line upgrade.

what are the hybrid graphics drivers that work in Mga6?
benmc

Postby DiBosco » Jan 28th, '20, 21:27

benmc wrote:would you consider re-installing Mga6 and then on-line upgrade.

what are the hybrid graphics drivers that work in Mga6?

I wouldn't consider that, no. I have found the upgrade path nightmarish and slow and until now I have never had problems like this with a fresh install.

Wit the last version it just worked, so I am not totally sure exactly what worked in M6. At some point I used Bumblebee and did install proprietary nvidia drivers then, but, it had worked before then when I was going off Intel only.

I'm not at all sure the nouveau has anything to do with it. AFAIK nouveau is for nvidia cards and this uses Intel card unless you specifically tell it to use the dedicated graphics, so I'd originally assumed it hasn't needed to use nouveau. The whole nouveau thing could be a red herring.
DiBosco

Postby benmc » Jan 28th, '20, 21:45

to be sure that you are using the Intel graphics, when able, login as root via TTY, and run
Code: Select all
drakx11

will bring up a ncurses screen to set up the graphics card - use up/down/left /right arrows to navigate. test, save and reboot.
probably wouldnt hurt to run
urpmi --auto-update
as well

I found it hard to understand your first post.
gist I got was PlasmaDE not working, but Xfce works ok?

if so, you could also try , while in your TTY
urpme task-plasma5 task-plasma5-minimal

this will remove the plasma desktop, and leave the xfce one

then
urpmi task-plasma5 task-plasma5-minimal

this will re-install just the plasma5 DE

I am presuming you have your on-line repos set up, and wifi is automatic connection.
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 28th, '20, 22:01

benmc wrote:to be sure that you are using the Intel graphics, when able, login as root via TTY, and run
drakx11

will bring up a ncurses screen to set up the graphics card - use up/down/left /right arrows to navigate. test, save and reboot.

I'd recommend not using the test function, otherwise you may need to manually chown or remove ~/.Xauthority as root.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby DiBosco » Jan 29th, '20, 16:59

Folks,

Many thanks fo the help. I was going to write back and say been there, done all of that, but I went through the exercise anyway. What did the trick was updating all the packages.

It is the case that there was a whole shed load of new updates since I last did did the full update from the command line, so I guess that something on the latest round has fixed it.

Thanks again for the help.
DiBosco

Return to Basic support