upgrade ubuntu from 19.04 to 19.10 mageia 7 will not boot?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

upgrade ubuntu from 19.04 to 19.10 mageia 7 will not boot?

Postby lmh1 » Nov 4th, '19, 12:52

Is its a easy way to fix, i upgrade ubuntu\kubuntu to 19.10 from 19.04 its works nice but mageia 7.1 will not boot?

Is it a way to fix that?
Its different SSD drives, but its look after upgrade ubuntu overwrite mageia bootloader?
lmh1

Re: upgrade ubuntu from 19.04 to 19.10 mageia 7 will not boo

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 5th, '19, 13:54

Hi there, please next time use one of the support subforums, thanks in advance.

Also regarding your issue, some more actual details would be appreciated. What bootloader do you use for each distro, what is your partition layout, what does the bootloader config look like currently ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby lmh1 » Nov 6th, '19, 04:44

Code: Select all
insmod part_gpt
   insmod ext2
   set root='hd7,gpt1'
   if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd7,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd7,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci7,gpt1  0bcea173-e61a-4efd-9b6c-9f7d21ecf09b
   else
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 0bcea173-e61a-4efd-9b6c-9f7d21ecf09b
   fi
   linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdh1
   initrd /boot/initrd-5.1.14-desktop-1.mga7.img

I get this from grub config.
I only need one bootloader, if its works, or not its not easy to install if i use many disk.

Code: Select all
sda                                                                  brw-rw----
├─sda1                                                               brw-rw----
└─sda2      ntfs                       brw-rw----
sdb                                                                  brw-rw----
├─sdb1                                                               brw-rw----
└─sdb2      ntfs                            brw-rw----
sdc                                                                  brw-rw----
├─sdc1      vfat                                            brw-rw----
└─sdc2      ext4               brw-rw----
sdh                                                                  brw-rw----
├─sdh1      ext4          brw-rw----
├─sdh2      swap              brw-rw----
└─sdh3      ext4              brw-rw----
sr0                                                                  brw-rw----
nvme0n1                                                              brw-rw----
├─nvme0n1p1 ntfs                         brw-rw----
├─nvme0n1p2 vfat                                      brw-rw----
├─nvme0n1p3                                                          brw-rw----
└─nvme0n1p4 ntfs                               brw-rw----
lmh1

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 6th, '19, 16:56

Well, without some more context information from you it's pretty hard to tell what is located where ...
From the other output seems sdh completely contains Mageia. Where is Kubuntu installed, on sdc / sdc2 ?
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby lmh1 » Nov 9th, '19, 19:47

I found a solution, boot mageia 7.1 use recovery mode, reinstall bootloader or some like that.
So now its works, why did not mageia did not have firefox 70.1?
I thinks is poor support of this forum.
lmh1

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 9th, '19, 20:27

lmh1 wrote:why did not mageia did not have firefox 70.1?
I thinks is poor support of this forum.

We are using the ESR branch, see https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Archive:_Mag ... il_clients

Also, what do you mean in particular about poor support?
----
doktor5000

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 10th, '19, 04:18

lmh1 wrote:How did i add repo for this one?
https://madb.mageia.org/package/show/application/0/arch/x86_64/name/firefox

i find out its not available:

How did you find out it's not available?

Firefox is contained in the default repos and it is installed by default on most desktop environments.
Check https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Software_man ... nd_updates and maybe https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_a ... g_software
----
doktor5000

Postby laidlaws » Apr 2nd, '20, 22:48

I think that the OP misunderstands the process.

"There is no repo for Firefox": If there was a separate repo for each program, the list would be enormous. He should have searched through rpmdrake before complaining.
"Poor support forum" : The forum is for support, not for adding repos. Requests for additional packages can be done in Bugzilla.
"Adding Ubuntu disables Mageia": It is Ubuntu that has done this, not Mageia. I have at times had to reinstall everything after a major change, but Ubuntu uses Grub2, and I have never known it not to pick up everything. Its menu looks different, and Ubuntu may become the default choice, but Mageia is still in the list. As the OP discovered,, the problem was with Grub, not Mageia, and is perfectly normal. Installing another distro makes no change to Mageia's entry for Grub, which is usually still available to select in the BIOS, but every other distro on the OP's machine needs to be updated, That is a weakness of having a bootloader's config files within one distro. rEFInd is totally external, and overcomes this issue, but I do not find it easy to adapt to such a fundamental change.

I thought that my reply might be a bit more informative, maybe not. My only gripe with Mageia is entirely different; that despite the constant stream of updates, the news on the Web page suggests that the distro is dead. There will no doubt be a reason for this. I am a retired lawyer, and the most constant complaint against lawyers in general is "He may be handling my case, but he never tells me what he is doing." Plainly the issue is not the law, but communication, and is of general application. By mentioning it here, OT, I intended to keep its publicity low.
laidlaws

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 3rd, '20, 16:56

laidlaws wrote:My only gripe with Mageia is entirely different; that despite the constant stream of updates, the news on the Web page suggests that the distro is dead. There will no doubt be a reason for this. I am a retired lawyer, and the most constant complaint against lawyers in general is "He may be handling my case, but he never tells me what he is doing." Plainly the issue is not the law, but communication, and is of general application. By mentioning it here, OT, I intended to keep its publicity low.

Feel free to contribute to that, the atelier team is probably thankful for each helping hand:
See https://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/ and maybe https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Atelier_team
----
doktor5000

Postby benmc » Apr 3rd, '20, 23:42

lmh1 wrote:i upgrade ubuntu\kubuntu to 19.10 from 19.04 its works nice but mageia 7.1 will not boot

yes, this happens,
it occurred for me with a recent kernel update for a Ubuntu derivative in a dual boot system.
choosing Mageia from the grub menu ended up with a scrolling screen of text, and then stopped with no gui login greeter.

I was able to re-install Mageis bootloader from a tty command line.

the issue is definitely a bug with Ubuntu and the way they implement the grub bootloader.
benmc

Return to Basic support