System backup options for Mageia 7

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

System backup options for Mageia 7

Postby rodgoslin » Sep 26th, '19, 04:12

For quite a long time, now, I've been using Back-in-Time as my backup system preference. It's simple, comprehensive, ticks all the boxes. At the moment, my main desktop is still running Mga5. This is mainly to do with KDE who have done things I do not get on with in later iterations of Mga. However, biting the bullet, I've installed Mga 7 on a laptop, to evaluate the latest . I was a bit surprised to see that Back-in-Time is no longer an option. Has anyone any suggestions for it's replacement, within the fold? I have a couple of Drobo boxes on the LAN, where the backups are saved to. They have the advantages of large capacity and more importantly can run without loss of data, if any one drive fails. Or two drives if one can accept a certain amount of capacity loss.
rodgoslin

Re: System backup options for Mageia 7

Postby rodgoslin » Sep 27th, '19, 21:53

Come on, people! Aren't we all admonished regularly to do backups? Back-in-Time is run from cron, and is customisable to exclude various things it's pointless to have on backup.
rodgoslin

Postby magic » Sep 28th, '19, 23:15

I can see 'backintime-common' and 'backintime-qt' packages listed here in Mageia 7 Core Release, so you should still be able to use it.

---
Personally, I use dar for regular (differential) file backup in one place (it's been going for years), disk imaging in some cases, and manual action sometimes too. TBH I know I don't backup enough or, indeed, often enough but I do, at least, fairly well cover the real critical stuff. :| :oops: :lol:
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby filip » Sep 29th, '19, 11:04

I use rsnapshot for over a decade. It works great but it doesn't have a GUI.
filip

Postby rodgoslin » Sep 29th, '19, 13:07

Hmm! there's nothing in drakrpm in the Control Center to indicate that back-in-time is available in Mga7. I can see I'll have to dig deeper. I'm loth to lose B-I-T, I've got used to it, waiting in the background for the day when I'll need it. Unchecked and unsupervised. Something a real service system should be.
rodgoslin

Postby z » Sep 30th, '19, 19:27

I've always just used rsync for backing everything up. Try that as an alternative, maybe?
z

Postby isadora » Sep 30th, '19, 19:54

My choice too, some interesting read one can find for example at:
https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/rs ... -examples/
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby rodgoslin » Sep 30th, '19, 20:07

Well, it looks as if Back-In-Time is truly gone. I did find some rpm's, in rpmfind.net but they were for Open SuSe, and didn't install for s couple of reasons. However, I did look at fwbackups, which do seem to be similar, in context to BIT, so the learning curve may be not too steep. As a bonus, fwbackups has a very nice User Manual to help get over some of the hurdles. I'll give it a try.
rodgoslin

Postby magic » Oct 1st, '19, 16:55

Have you checked in the Mageia App DB (link)? I'm sure I can see backintime.
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '19, 17:52

FWIW you can also directly link to search results and even directly to packages: https://madb.mageia.org/package/list/ap ... backintime
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic support