Java / openjdk v11 ?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Java / openjdk v11 ?

Postby persistability » Sep 20th, '19, 19:56

Current default Java in Mageia is Java 8. I'm interested in whether there has been any discussion around including java 11 (openjdk-11) in Mageia. Java 11 is an LTS release (though Java 8 continues to be supported until 2020 IIRC). Understand totally not providing Java 9, 10, 12.
Last edited by isadora on Sep 20th, '19, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum.
persistability

Re: Java / openjdk v11 ?

Postby persistability » Sep 27th, '19, 09:23

Clearly the absence of any reply means NO, no thought has been paid to it.
Great, Java 11 has only been out for a year ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history
persistability

Postby JoesCat » Sep 29th, '19, 05:52

Hi persistability,
I'm not aware of discussion, but I am glad to see Mageia's choice of openjdk based on some of my experience trying both 8 and 11.

I tried both openjdk (8) and also 11 back in May with some equipment that I need to connect to (which used Oracle Java8).
Since the equipment I needed to use required a web browser, I also needed to use Iced Tea too.

After some testing, I found the combination of adoptopenjdk and Iced Tea 1.8 worked fine, but I ran into some problems with adoptopenjdk11 with Iced Tea. In summary (back in May), adoptopenjdk with Iced Tea was the better choice, not 11.

Recently, I tried adoptopenjdk11 and a more recent Iced Tea see it had improved, but because I need to support a choice, I remained with openjdk as it worked back then, and there wasn't anything we needed that required 11. ...Basically, if it isn't broke, keep using it. ...but that is just my experience with a need that had to be filled.

If you compare activity, you'll also see there is a lot of patching and activity with [adoptopenjk](https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk ... its/master), but the last update for [adoptopenjdk11](https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk ... its/master) appears to be January. Without knowing much about it, I would probably guess adoptopenjdk is probably the better choice, and not adoptopenjdk11.
You'll notice I wrote adoptopenjdk (above), and not adoptopenjdk8, plus according to the wiki page you mention, adoptopenjdk is supported until 2023, while adoptopenjdk until 2022.

Is there something you used that required 11, or something higher?
JoesCat

Postby persistability » Sep 29th, '19, 09:55

It isn't a question of what the DEFAULT install is, I use and maintain systems that require Java 8, but I also need to check usage on Java 11. It's a question of making Java 11 available, nothing more. I have no quibble at all with a default of java 8
persistability

Postby martinw » Oct 3rd, '19, 20:12

The Java stack is big, hard to maintain, and none of the devs use it. Mageia needs someone who does know and use Java to step up and maintain it. Could that person be you?
martinw

Postby persistability » Oct 5th, '19, 17:17

While the "java stack" may be big, I'm not interested remotely in anything more than the JDK / JRE.
The majority of Java developers I know would use something like Maven or Gradle to build their systems, and that would mean that all Java libraries (other than the JDK / JRE) are pulled in by those systems into their own repositories (database). As a result the idea of installing Java libraries (other than the JDK / JRE) via an O/S install is an alien concept to me. Consequently no, sorry, I'm not the person you need to maintain such a thing.
Thx for your time.
persistability

Return to Basic support