Always fails when setting up online media

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Always fails when setting up online media

Postby pccobbler » Aug 18th, '19, 22:03

I've tried to install Mageia a few times now, over different versions. One constant is that at the end, when I am asked to setup online media, that part always fails. Always. I am forced to cancel and then I am told that installation was successful -- but of course I then must set-up online media manually. Is there a workaround?

My hardware is Intel Ivy Bridge processor (3rd Generation Core). I've used a few different SSDs from Intel and Crucial.
pccobbler

Re: Always fails when setting up online media

Postby benmc » Aug 18th, '19, 22:38

some more info would be helpful.
setting up via wired lan or via WIFI?
benmc

Postby pccobbler » Aug 19th, '19, 00:12

Up until this time, I've used Ethernet in a library. This time I used wireless in a different library. Always the same result.
pccobbler

Postby benmc » Aug 19th, '19, 00:30

are you setting up your internet connection before attempting to set up on-line media at the end of the installation, or earlier, after formatting your harddrive and before selecting your desktop?

failure to setup LAN on-line repos likely due to the $MIRRORLIST auto-mirror selection trying to access a mirror that is not valid for some reason.
if you are trying to use a password protected WIFI network, the network connection will nearly always fail.
if you are using an open network, ie, your own at home, miles from anyone elses, it will invariably work, unless your network adapter requires proprietary drivers

after you have setup the system and have logged in, are you manually selecting a mirror by choosing it from a list or using the automatic selection?
benmc

Postby pccobbler » Aug 22nd, '19, 02:50

As to your first paragraph: are you saying that I must manually select Ethernet when the PC is connected that way? That would be different than any other distribution I have seen. I must admit, I forgot to select the Internet connection method this last time because I had always previously used Ethernet.

As for your second paragraph: these networks do not require a password.

As for your third paragraph: I always ended up doing an Internet search for "mageia online media" to determine how to set them. I never could find that information in the documentation.

The USB 3.0 enclosure I was using had some unrelated problems, As soon as the replacement arrives, I will try again. I wil use wireless and remember to select it immediately after starting Mageia's installation.
pccobbler

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '19, 17:19

pccobbler wrote:As for your third paragraph: I always ended up doing an Internet search for "mageia online media" to determine how to set them. I never could find that information in the documentation.

How about the "Docs" section at the top of our websites? Leads to https://doc.mageia.org/installer/7/en/c ... tware.html which is for the installer
Apart from that, among the search results you got there should nearly be only links to our wiki and documentation sites.
Where were you looking for documentation, where you couldn't find it?

There's also the same for the installed version, when doing it from Mageia Control Center. And it's also explained in our wiki in various places, e.g. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_a ... rrectly.3F
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pccobbler » Aug 23rd, '19, 21:58

Yes, finding the documentation for setting online media during installation is easy. However, I was referring to setting it after installation, which the second link you provided covers.
pccobbler

Return to Basic support