[SOLVED] Format complete disc

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Format complete disc

Postby pfri » Aug 7th, '19, 07:10

The issue: for several last days:
Mageia´s bootloader got to cyclic reset/reboot. First, the usual menu for booting to Mageia and/or for advanced options (with rescue mode) appear, the it continues with the window with progressbar, but shortly after it cracks and the system make restart, and again and again and again ... Also the hard drive was (foir some money) checked and is OK. The onli option (quick option) remains in 1) formatting the root partition, or 2) the whole disk - all acceptable in this situation, because:
The inserting of DVD with Mageia doesn´t help - the installer doesn´t appear - for me to be able go to expert mode and let make the formatting of partition by choice (first test would be the formatting of root partition, in the case of fail with the second attmpt consisting of whole disk formatting), and fresh new installation.

So, could you provide the command for the command line in rescue mode, that would do:
1) the format of simply root partition - I suppose, I have to "destroy" that in this case unpleasant bootloader repeated activity
2) the format of complete disc
Last edited by pfri on Aug 12th, '19, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
pfri

Re: Format complete disc

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 9th, '19, 08:35

Even if you would format the root partition - if your system currently does not start the installer, what do you plan on doing next?
You should probably first check why your system doesn't want to boot from DVD, because that is totally unrelated to the bootloader on disk ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pfri » Aug 9th, '19, 10:01

As I wrote: 1) first option: I mean format /root partition. But when maybe it can´t influence the fact that "blue Mageia screen with options for booting" is further persistent and appears always "again and again" in the situation "the DVD with burned ISO" doesn´t start as one would expect", then 2) second option: format all the drive including /home partition, of course (the scenario: with all data there "deleted". All acceptable. I tried out Ubuntu DVD, but with the same result.

Because, what could be done otherwise? Throw the NB into "bin" - sure one option on the table.

Shortly I looked for possibilities "how to format something" (tips for mkfs, parted, gparted, ...), and during testing of suggested commands (and I don´t understand, "what I am doing" in the whole, not skilled in using command line much) I realized, next to the "sequence of command to enter in command line, in the recovery mode", there is one thing more: the shorcut for switching the keyboard of the notebook, because, I donť know what to push, to be able to use the buttons with brackets, if they would be needed in command sequence
pfri

Postby benmc » Aug 10th, '19, 23:20

please give some info about your NB.
make, model etc...

doktor5000 wrote:You should probably first check why your system doesn't want to boot from DVD, because that is totally unrelated to the bootloader on disk ...

this needs to be fixed, as you cannot proceed with formatting your HDD without being able to boot your install mediium.

pfri wrote:that "blue Mageia screen with options for booting"

is read from your HDD from either the /boot/EFI partition if UEFI mode, or your MBR boot sector if BIOS mode.
so we would also need to know install mode.
some systems have a keyboard shortcut to access your installer medium, so again, make and model of your NB would be helpful.
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '19, 09:20

pfri wrote:Because, what could be done otherwise? Throw the NB into "bin" - sure one option on the table.

Throwing away hardware because software is not working? I wouldn't consider that an option at all.

You just have to figure out how to boot the Mageia install media again as the installer can automatically format your partitions, so you don't have to use command lines. See the hints from benmc for that.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pfri » Aug 11th, '19, 19:15

The NB is Acer eMachines E527 (bought in 2010). Thanks for your time and help.
The problem is solved. After pressing key F2, I went into "Boot priority order" tab and changed it: IDE1: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H moved from third position to first (where USB HDD is originally), and after reinstall (the /root partition formatted) moved it back.
pfri

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 12th, '19, 07:33

Please mark the thread accordingly by editing the topic of the first post and prefix it by [SOLVED], thanks
----
doktor5000

Return to Basic support