Mageia 7 - default install housekeeping

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mageia 7 - default install housekeeping

Postby christianvl » Aug 2nd, '19, 03:54

I'm running Mageia 7, installed from the live Gnome ISO.

I haven't used Mageia since version 1 and 6 (very briefly). Giving it another try, but only with the free repos enabled. I was a Conectiva and Mandriva user back in the (good old) time.

I'm just curious on how to clear my install from some of the applications that comes pre-installed. I've removed some games and some other stuff, but I still would like to remove all those printer entries from my applications and the network_applet. I've searched for them in drakrpm, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if I can safely remove net_applet.

BTW, is there an ISO for a minimal install, to inly install a basic desktop and let me install software from there? Would that be the case of the netinstall ISO? My computer doesn't have an ethernet port and I had some difficulty to get that install media to connect to my wifi network.
christianvl

Re: Mageia 7 - default install housekeeping

Postby benmc » Aug 2nd, '19, 05:50

christianvl wrote:BTW, is there an ISO for a minimal install, to inly install a basic desktop and let me install software from there? Would that be the case of the netinstall ISO? My computer doesn't have an ethernet port and I had some difficulty to get that install media to connect to my wifi network.

Suggestion.

download 2 isos:
Classical Install in 32 or 64 bit version to a spare (data) partition or just copy it to a +4GB usb stick .
net installer of 32 or 64 bit version.
use Isodumper to burn netinstaller to USB and reboot system to netinstall USB.
point the installer to use Classical install .iso on your spare partition or USB stick.
During the Classical Installer choose "Custom" when it offers a desktop environment.
you can select individual packages to build your own desktop from a minimal install.

regards the first par of your post, I am reasonably sure that there is a urpme command available to just remove package XXXX with no dependencies
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 2nd, '19, 16:42

benmc wrote:I am reasonably sure that there is a urpme command available to just remove package XXXX with no dependencies

No, you can only do that with rpm -e --nodeps.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby martinw » Aug 2nd, '19, 19:05

@Ben, why use the netinstall ISO? You'd get the same result using the classical installer ISO directly.
martinw

Postby benmc » Aug 2nd, '19, 23:12

martinw wrote: why use the netinstall ISO?

Install from iso stored on HDD is much faster than from USB even USB3.
I am able to install every available package on the Classical .isos in less than 3 minutes using a SSD , and about 5 minutes using a 5400 spinner.
Much faster to write netinstaller iso via isodumper than +4Gb of Classical Installer.
lower risk of installation issues if USB is suspect.
If .iso is stored on HDD, easy to use to add extra some common applications from stored .iso, if no/poor internet.
no need to keep track of the installer USB stick.
(Hint. I am on unreliable internet here)
benmc

Postby benmc » Aug 2nd, '19, 23:16

doktor5000 wrote:
benmc wrote:I am reasonably sure that there is a urpme command available to just remove package XXXX with no dependencies

No, you can only do that with rpm -e --nodeps.

thanks for that tip,
I had a search for it in MAQ, ( viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4231) but must have missed it
benmc

Return to Basic support