Solved Enigmail/gnupgp

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Solved Enigmail/gnupgp

Postby Crewdawg » Jul 31st, '19, 23:55

I installed Mageia 7 64bit and then after installation I installed Thunderbird. I did a search in the software section but could not find Enigmail nor open pgp at all. So, I tried searching for the solution on DuckDuck Go search engine. Tried several different ways of trying to word the search pattern to locate the information on finding this in Mageia 7 but was unable to pull up anything on this in any of my searches. So I decided to try and post here to see if anyone has an idea on how to set this up so that I'll be able to receive and send encrypted emails. I'm running on the following Destop. Yeah, I know she's old but the gal is still up and running.

Any guidance in this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Desktop: HP a1440n
250GB 4Ram
XP Media Center Edition 2005
Intel Pentium D
Last edited by Crewdawg on Aug 4th, '19, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Re: Enigmail/gnupgp

Postby ITA84 » Aug 1st, '19, 09:39

I think Enigmail is a Thunderbird add-on that adds OpenPGP encryption support to it, so to install it you should open the Thunderbird menu -> Add-ons -> Extensions -> search for Enigmail and select Install. Reference: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/th ... hunderbird
ITA84

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 1st, '19, 19:06

True, but I've seen it in others packages such as in Debian. So thought that Enigmail might would be in Mageia's packages as well. But what about the openpgp or gnupgthough. Wouldn't either one of those be in the software manager? As you can tell from the questions I'm asking I'm new to the Mageia OS and am trying to learn my way around in it. I always hit the documents, forum and search engines before asking. I had gone to the TB in Mageia and was unable to find it in TB's Addons here. So when I saw it in Debian's Package manager I had decided to search Mageia's as well but unable to locate Enigmail nor the other. So that got me to wondering and searching. Decided to ask.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 2nd, '19, 16:47

enigmail is in our repositories:

Code: Select all
[doktor5000@Mageia7]─[16:43:05]─[~] urpmf -m -f --name enigmail
Core Release:thunderbird-enigmail-60.7.1-1.mga7.x86_64
Core Updates:thunderbird-enigmail-60.7.2-1.mga7.x86_64
Core Updates:thunderbird-enigmail-60.8.0-1.1.mga7.x86_64
Core 32bit Release:thunderbird-enigmail-60.7.1-1.mga7.i586
Core 32bit Updates:thunderbird-enigmail-60.7.2-1.mga7.i586
Core 32bit Updates:thunderbird-enigmail-60.8.0-1.1.mga7.i586

Apart from that, OpenPGP is just a standard, not a software. Maybe you're looking for gnupg? - this is what enigmail uses, and will be installed if you install enigmail.

Maybe you just need to set the filter to "All packages" in rpmdrake ? See the hint here: http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/7/en/content/ ... html#d4e65
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 3rd, '19, 02:00

@ doktor5000
Thanks for the reply. I'll double check the setting. I know that the MCC has 'all' set. But will go back and double check to make sure. I thought that it would be here but just wasn't able to locate for some reason. Each time I did a search I would get the none found remarks. I'm new to the Mageia and the rpm. I'm getting my feel around for things and stumbling but learning from the stumbles. As I mentioned before I always check things on my own first in the software or whatever I'm doing, then my next step is to hit the search engine and if all fails I'll post in the forums. Greatly appreciate the response.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby ITA84 » Aug 3rd, '19, 08:17

I'm guessing you searched from the GUI (Mageia Control Center, DrakRPM): if thats the case, by default the search is made only for user applications and excludes packages such as libraries, extra modules and non-GUI programs, and you can change that from the drop-down list in the upper left corner
ITA84

Postby wintpe » Aug 3rd, '19, 10:27

@Crewdawg there is something definitely wrong with thunderbird-enigmail from the repos
when installed thunderbird registers it as addon settings, but no settings, and the app does not replace the security icon, in write.

the add on from mozilla addons does appear to work, so just install that and ignore the mageia one.

if you found the same as i did i suggest raise a bug

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 3rd, '19, 16:12

@wintpe
Peter, are you talking about how it's that P=P thing instead of it being the regular eingmail format? I noticed that and it is a bear to find anything. I tried to add someone to the keys and there's no manual way to do so at all that I can see. The setup is completely different from the regular. Personally I don't like this thing and prefer the original one. I had found and downloaded the addon and it wound up basically being the same thing. Kept saying P=P thing with it. I had sent an email to them asking how to do stuff in this. But think I'm going to be able to add peoples keys but having it put to a file and then doing import from file. But it's really going to be a bear to mess with. Settings are looking very strange here.So far I've never had something really needing to be sent encrypted but I'm the time that if there's something in system then I want to learn how to use it. So that's what I've been doing. If big brother wanted to waste their manpower, power and computer time being nosey then have at it because there's nothing in it. ;)

How did you get the Mozilla addon to work? As I just mentioned, it's got almost the same setup. I don't see the regular setup wizard for it like I've seen in other places. So was wondering on this. Unless somehow it's changed also from when I first started using it.

Thanks Tom
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 3rd, '19, 16:14

@doktor5000
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction of the setup of rpmdrake. I had the first selection button set as GUI and the second one as all. Once I had both set as all then it worked like a champ in pulling in lots more selections of things. Really appreciate the help.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 3rd, '19, 23:43

@wintpe
Peter, I took the suggestion of ignoring the one in the repos and di the addon. Did you also notice that there's no wizzard in the addon for Enigmail any longer? At least I didn't see one. In fact it now lists that P=P thing as well. I was able to import the other individuals key from my usb and also both of my keys both public and private as well. Was slow process at first because I couldn't remember the settings and wound up going to the one I have set up in Debian to copy down how I have it there and then come back here to to fix the settings same way. Then works. Only thing is if you tell it to do a "handshake" you're supposed to confirm in person or on phone that they got the same words to confirm them. I decided to leave as secure and not do that for now until I learn more about this 'new setup' that's going on. Told the individual what was happening with this now and to verify that there wasn't any issues with receiving and opening it like normal and that to let me know if it came over encrypted as normal or not. But thanks for the advice. I was trying last night with the repo one and I can't remember what all was going on with it now. Don't want to try it again and mess up what I have going on that appears to be working for the moment. Hopefully will find out how the message was received. I do know that I was able to decrypt what was sent to me last night just now. So thanks again for the suggestions. So far they seem to be working.
Tom

@doktor5000
Thanks again for pointing out to me on how to make sure that I'm getting all of what's available when searching through rpmdrake. Didn't see the 32bit but did see the 64bit ones. But that's good. I'm learning. Just bare with me when I have those 'slow' moments and after doing all my proper researching ask what may appear a dump question or two at times.

Tom
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 4th, '19, 00:02

I'm going to mark this as solved. Again, thanks for all the help in this one.
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Re: Solved Enigmail/gnupgp

Postby Crewdawg » Aug 4th, '19, 03:12

One final note on the Enigmail. I had to go into the privacy settings of Thunderbird. In there is a section that says Enigmail Junior Mode(never heard of it before) and select the "Force using the S/MIME and Enigmail". I was having trouble with the individual after a bit and went back to the other one and clicked on that and it worked. Original had the "Force using p=p (Pretty Easy Privacy)" selected. So thought I'd pop that in on here to help in case others wind up with same kind of issues that I've had setting this up. Might make things just a tad bit easier on them.

Tom
Leveno pc
Debian, MX-18
Asus A53 laptop
8GB ram, 750GB hd
Mageia
Crewdawg

Return to Basic support