USB 3.1 type C to VGA adapter

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

USB 3.1 type C to VGA adapter

Postby adhefe » Jul 13th, '19, 04:41

Hi,

I've bought a USB 3.1 type-c to VGA adapter and got this type of message in dmesg upon connecting it:

Code: Select all
usb usb2-port3: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

Does anyone else have seen this before? Is this likely to be an adapter problem (as dmesg suggests) or is this caused by driver issues?

Here, a mageia 7 update installed.

Thanks
adhefe

Re: USB 3.1 type C to VGA adapter

Postby adhefe » Jul 15th, '19, 02:47

Tested the adapter at a Mac OS and it worked just fine. Then, it is likely that Mageia 7 has a driver issue ...

This is the same laptop I was able to connect via hdmi cable with another monitor with losses in the frame rate as reported elsewhere in this forum...
adhefe

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 16th, '19, 22:43

Did you check that it's supported at all under linux before buying it? Please at least post the output of lsusb so others can see vendor and product ID to see if it's supported and if so by what driver.

For comparison, see e.g. https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... a-on-linux
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby adhefe » Jul 17th, '19, 03:50

Did you check that it's supported at all under linux before buying it?

No, I'm afraid not.
Please at least post the output of lsusb so others can see vendor and product ID to see if it's supported and if so by what driver.

Code: Select all
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 275d:0ba6  USB OPTICAL MOUSE
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 5986:069e Acer, Inc HD Webcam
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 8087:0aaa Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 048d:ce00 Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE Device(8291)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

This output doesn't change when I connect the VGA-USB 3.1 type-c adapter, only dmesg keeps sending messages as above.

I've filed the bug 25127 about it (https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25127). There, I've reported that with the help of a friend I could do the following tests:

1-Using my laptop, I've tried the Clear linux live iso with kernel 5.1 and got the same result;
2-Using my friend's laptop with Ubuntu kernel 4.1x, the system did not even noticed the adapter was plugged in;
3-Using my friend's laptop with Clear linux live iso as above, dmesg output the same messages.

Then, so far I think it is a linux kernel issue, not a Mageia issue.

Thanks
Last edited by isadora on Jul 17th, '19, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;), and added link to mentioned bug.
adhefe

Postby adhefe » Jul 18th, '19, 22:53

The vendor seems to be 3D Connexion
adhefe

Return to Basic support