[SOLVED] Windows 10 disappeared during installation of Mage

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Windows 10 disappeared during installation of Mage

Postby borysn » May 22nd, '19, 09:18

Hello everybody. I wanted to install Mageia on my PC and keep Windows 10 in dual boot. However, during the installation process, something went wrong (probably I screwed up something with the partitions) and when booting the PC the only option I get is Mageia. Windows does not show up.
I tried to make a clean install of windows 10 from USB, but it does not work: infact, when I am prompted to choose on which of the partition install windows, I am not allowed in any of them because they are not NTFS. So I created (using Mageia) a new partition, formatting it in NTFS, but again the windows installing program will say that they need an NTFS partition.
No worry about any data on the PC, it is a new one so nothing precious is installed on it. But in this moment I have no clue how to install windows on that machine, and I need it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by borysn on May 22nd, '19, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
borysn

Re: Windows 10 disappeared during installation of Mageia 6

Postby ITA84 » May 22nd, '19, 10:51

I've never used the Windows 10 installer, but I guess the problem could be that Mageia formatted the partition in some way that isn't recognized by Windows (several versions of NTFS exist, and there might be incompatible differences). Can't the Windows installer format the partition on its own?
ITA84

Postby borysn » May 22nd, '19, 11:39

The windows installer has an option to format the partition, I tried also this one but it does not work. Still says that the partition is in GPT format (which is not true, because is formatted in NTFS, although maybe the wrong version).
borysn

Postby ITA84 » May 22nd, '19, 12:50

borysn wrote:Still says that the partition is in GPT format (which is not true, because is formatted in NTFS, although maybe the wrong version).

Please note that GPT isn't a partition type but a partitioning format: you can partition a drive with GPT (as opposed to MBR, which is an older partitioning format) and have partitions of several types in it (NTFS, Linux, etc...). I suppose the Windows installer you have can't install on a drive that has GPT; looking around a bit, I'm not sure what the correct solution is, but maybe it's just that you started the Windows installer in legacy BIOS mode and not UEFI, and in BIOS mode you can only install on MBR and not GPT. See if it's possible to start the installer in UEFI mode, or if there's a separate installer for UEFI.

EDIT: small correction, as I cited Ext4 as a partition type, whereas it's actually a filesystem; NTFS is a filesystem as well, but I guess the partition type for it is also usually called that
ITA84

Postby borysn » May 22nd, '19, 13:46

Thanks a lot. Actually, according to the partition I was choosing to install windows, the installer was either asking for NTFS or GPT; GPT requirement appeared on the partition I had formaatted in NTFS. I had the doubt that GPT was "something else", and you confirmed it to me.
Now I found a workaround that should fix the issue on a windows forum, I'll try it tonight when I'll be at home. Thanks for your help for the moment.
borysn

Postby borysn » May 22nd, '19, 18:48

ITA84 wrote:looking around a bit, I'm not sure what the correct solution is, but maybe it's just that you started the Windows installer in legacy BIOS mode and not UEFI, and in BIOS mode you can only install on MBR and not GPT. See if it's possible to start the installer in UEFI mode, or if there's a separate installer for UEFI.

This made the job. First thing I'm doing with the fixed PC is thank you for the hint (restarted the installer in UEFI mode and everything was smooth).
borysn

Postby isadora » May 22nd, '19, 21:44

Would you please mark this topic [SOLVED]?
You can do so by editing the title/subject of the first message in the topic.
Place [SOLVED] in front of subject/title.

Thanks ahead. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Basic support