[SOLVED] mageia 7 beta2 has been broken today?

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[SOLVED] mageia 7 beta2 has been broken today?

Postby adhefe » Mar 20th, '19, 03:03

After last update in mageia 7 beta2, icons in panel disappeared. As an example, cannot launch systemsettings5:

Code: Select all
$ systemsettings5
systemsettings5: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/qt5/plugins/kf5/kirigami/org.kde.desktop.so: undefined symbol: _ZN8Kirigami13PlatformTheme27setAlternateBackgroundColorERK6QColor

I think it is broken ...

Thanks
Last edited by adhefe on Mar 20th, '19, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
adhefe

Re: mageia 7 beta2 has been broken today?

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 20th, '19, 08:39

Please use the cauldron subforum for cauldron-related topics in the future, thanks in advance.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby adhefe » Mar 20th, '19, 15:48

Ok,

By the way, did somebody moved this topic to this subforum already? If not, where is the proper cauldron subforum?

For me, this appears at Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron already.
adhefe

Postby isadora » Mar 20th, '19, 21:51

It's in the appropriated sub now. ;)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby adhefe » Mar 20th, '19, 22:00

Thanks,

Systemsettings5 is now openning again (after updates today), but panel icons and other features are still missing ...
adhefe

Postby adhefe » Mar 20th, '19, 22:09

Ooops!

Everything is fine after rebooting, closing topic.
adhefe

Re: [SOLVED] mageia 7 beta2 has been broken today?

Postby benmc » Mar 21st, '19, 05:59

adhefe wrote:After last update in mageia 7 beta2, icons in panel disappeared

This is the risk using a beta release.
As the beta is effectively cauldron (the two are now running in parallel), and large numbers of packages are under active development, you are effectively running a rolling release.
It was discovered by QA (reported at 19/3/2019 04:47 UTC) that some packages were missed in the update, and the missing packages have been updated and released (at 19/3/2019 08:49 UTC). It would have taken some time for mirrors to roll out the update, depending on when they individually update and where they update from. if your local mirror had only just updated when you updated, and does not update again for 12 to 24 hrs, it could have been over a day before your local mirror had the new packages available.

You have the option is to create a virtual box (available for install from Mageia Welcome) and then install beta 2 into it and then change the repos to cauldron and just keep it running and updated. If the updates don't break any thing, then update your main system.
compare the packages that are being updated, they should be the same (except for any Virtual Box related packages)

When Mageia 7 is finalized, the two releases diverge and development of Mageia 7 slows to include bug fixes as discovered, software updates and security patches as required.
Cauldron will, of course, continue in its headlong development, and sometime in the future the whole cycle will repeat, with Mageia 8 beta running in parallel for a while.

cheers, and enjoy
benmc

Postby adhefe » Mar 21st, '19, 20:03

Thanks.

I was aware of the risks before installing beta version. I'm just reporting because I think a "tester" should do it.
adhefe

Postby benmc » Mar 21st, '19, 20:19

adhefe wrote:I'm just reporting because I think a "tester" should do it.

unfortunately, most of QA / devs do not always have time to monitor the forums.

it would be better to join a mailing list, see here=> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mailing_list ... _Assurance
as this will ensure the reporting will be seen by those that need to see it.

hint, if you have the time, they are having their weekly meeting in a few hours on IRC, I'm sure they will make you welcome

cheers
benmc

Postby adhefe » Mar 21st, '19, 20:43

time is a problem ...
adhefe

Postby martinw » Mar 24th, '19, 19:33

The other benefit to subscribing to the dev and qa-discuss mailing lists is you get to see other people reporting problems, and know to hold off updating until they are fixed!

In case you are new to Mageia, one other warning. When Mageia 7 is released, you need to manually change your urpmi configuration if you want to get updates from the stable release, rather than from cauldron. And I highly recommend that - cauldron is relatively stable now, compared to what it will be like when we aren't near a release.
martinw

Postby adhefe » Mar 25th, '19, 04:27

Thanks Martinw,

I'll be out of Cauldron as soon as Mageia 7 is released.
adhefe

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron