[SOLVED] Magiea KDE with chromium

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Magiea KDE with chromium

Postby jk121960 » Mar 18th, '19, 00:09

Hi I installed KDE and am loving it, but one thing. I use chromium and the file dialog has these terrible fonts, pretty much unreadable. THis is probably because it is a gnome based dialog. Can anyone tell me how to either coerce a kde dialog out of chromium or at least how to fix the fonts to a normal say dejavu sans or similar. I looked in the package manager and I can't install Ubuntu fonts from there. Any ideas? Any one?

Thanks in advance for any help you have.
jk121960

Re: Magiea KDE with chromium

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 18th, '19, 02:52

You probably want to select a different GTK theme. In systemsettings under application style there's GNOME application style (GTK).

FWIW, I'm using chrome instead of chromium and it uses a regular GTK filepicker dialog with standard fonts, which are pretty clearly readable.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: Magiea KDE with chromium

Postby jk121960 » Mar 18th, '19, 05:03

Hi and thanks, I am using flatstudio which is a nice cross over KDE/GTK theme, this is the only place I have run into this weird font issue. It is clearly a gtk dialog, and it doesn't seem to pick up the theme the same, the buttons are very squared off and visibly 3d. Unlike other apps where the buttons are smooth corners and only lightly 3d. Is there no way to either change the dialog Chromium is using or affect the fonts. Another thing I noticed is I have another box that is plasma 4 and chromium opens up dolphin for files. So this popped up I guess with plasma 5, I installed this same Mageia on my brother's laptop and it is the same as mine. So I am at a loss for what to do about it, and it is hard to read, it is some type of specialty font, and all I can think of is the font it is looking for is not there and it selects the next available. Andy help is appreciated thanks
jk121960

Re: Magiea KDE with chromium [Solved]

Postby jk121960 » Mar 18th, '19, 07:43

Very odd, I did what you said and played with the GTK theme, I switched from Faltstudio dark, to breeze dark, which helped, but I switched then back to Flatstudio Dark and while the buttons where still crap, the font was fixed, Yea! Close enough for government work, thanks
jk121960

Return to Basic support