Installing Mageia 6 into Hyper-V

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Installing Mageia 6 into Hyper-V

Postby akluch » Dec 28th, '18, 07:22

Dear Friends,
Would you be so kind to help with installing Linux Mageia 6 (I'm using Mageia-6-i586-DVD.iso) into Hyper-V VM? Parameters of the VM:
- 32 bit
- 4 GB of Ram
- 130 GB fresh VHD
- DVD-ROM (using the above mentioned ISO)
- Host OS: Windows 10 Enterprise October 2018 with Hyper-V feature enabled.

Issues:
1. When I try to install Mageia as is - I get an error: "AddScreen/InitScreen failed for driver 0" and later after that endless stream of messages: "Xorg server slow to start"
2. When I select Kernel Option --> Safe Settings instead, I am able to pass all way to license screen, then installer is able to detect the hard drive controller and asks whether I have additional controllers. I select "No" and it gives me an error: "An error occured - no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems"

Appreciate your help.

Thank you very much,
akluch.
akluch

Re: Installing Mageia 6 into Hyper-V

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 28th, '18, 17:45

I believe the first error has already been reported as https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17711 - you may want to comment there that this issue still persists and you are also affected.

For the other issue, I believe this is convered in an earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6638 but you may need to check the logs during the installation.
See e.g. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Triage_guide ... lated_bugs on how to capture the logs to e.g. an USB drive or a network share.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby akluch » Dec 29th, '18, 07:37

doktor5000 wrote:I believe the first error has already been reported as https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17711 - you may want to comment there that this issue still persists and you are also affected.

For the other issue, I believe this is convered in an earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6638 but you may need to check the logs during the installation.
See e.g. https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Triage_guide ... lated_bugs on how to capture the logs to e.g. an USB drive or a network share.

Thank you so much for your quick response.
I left a comment on bugs page that the issue can still be reproduced. On the 2nd link you posted: I'm a bit confused what exactly to try. Would you be so kind to explain more? I can try to run installation in VirtualBox instead, reach the partitioning stage, get the VHD partitioned and then copy it back to Hyper-V. Also, do you recommend to try Mageia 7 Beta 1 to see if it works in Hyper-V?

Thank you very much.
akluch

Postby jiml8 » Dec 29th, '18, 07:46

I would suggest that you deploy your Mageia 6 as a virtual machine in virtualbox and get it running. After you have it running in VB, then import the virtual disk(s) into hyperv.

A few months back, I deployed FreeBSD as a VM in Hyperv, which was running in a Windows 10 VM hosted in vmware workstation on my Mageia 6 workstation. So, I had a VM inside of a VM...lol. I did this because I had to, but I found it to be (1) very painful to build the FreeBSD installation inside hyperv, and (2) very simple to import a working FreeBSD VM into hyperv.

Given hyperv's purpose, short shrift has been given to video capability and, IMO, it sucks for anything other than console. You likely are encountering problems there. Deploying the VM in another package and then importing it ought to bypass a lot of that trouble.
jiml8

Postby akluch » Dec 29th, '18, 07:51

Perfect ;) Let me try that.
BTW, I tried to install latest FreeBSD in Hyper-V - it succeed in my case. Oh well... :D
Last edited by doktor5000 on Dec 31st, '18, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
akluch

Return to Basic support