[SOLVED] No such partition : Entering rescue mode

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] No such partition : Entering rescue mode

Postby Driks » Nov 1st, '18, 14:29

First, sorry for the possible bad english, I'm not native speaker .

Hello everyone, I am here because of a boot error.

So some time ago I installed Mageia in a dual-boot configuration with windows 10. I did this because I have a laptop and when I just wanted to browse Internet or work on some documents, it was just way more efficient in term of battery use and boot time .

It worked perfectly until windows decided to update and to destroy everything. Probably the update did write on some partitions and broke something.

Now when I power my computer I get this error : No such partition, entering rescue mode. (in a command line)

I did some internet research, and I was able to access the grub Os selection menu and boot on windows using the "root / prefix / insmod normal" commands.
Neither the Mageia or the Maegia rescue mode did boot, it just resulted in an endless loading screen.

While on windows I then did a backup of all of my data - this is not an echue anymore.

In the process I think I accidentely wipe out the partition in it.(almost sure I did)

Now I can't use the "root / prefix / insmod normal" commands to boot on windows anymore, it doesn't work.

I searched on the internet again and try using the "boot repair" tool, that I put on a usb. It launched, but did not repair anything, I still can't boot on anything. Here's the log:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/WzTqTxgQV4/

Now I just want to wipe the hard drive, erase every unneeded partitions and reinstall windows proprely.

I have another computer with an hard drive reader where I can plug a drive to read what's in it. Don't know if it is usefull or not but just note it.

So here I am asking for help, because I run out of possible solutions with my very particular problem.
Last edited by Driks on Nov 1st, '18, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Driks

Re: No such partition : Entering rescue mode

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 1st, '18, 14:57

Not sure I understand what your actual issue is currently. So if you want to wipe your hard drive, what currently prevents you from reinstalling windows 10?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Driks » Nov 1st, '18, 15:04

I could wipe everything, but then I won't have any way to reinstall properly? I don't have any activation key or something like that. I may have access to the recovery partition, but I don't know if it is enough?

I have a backup of all of my Data, but nothing around windows recuperation or something like that.

I don't know much about all of this, sorry if I ask some stupid questions
Driks

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 1st, '18, 15:38

Ahh sorry, that information about the win activation key was missing from your original post.

I believe you can read the key via a live CD, see e.g. https://superuser.com/questions/637971/ ... nvironment
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Driks » Nov 1st, '18, 15:54

Thanks for the answer!

I used the method present in the link , with the bootable USB I have (the one with the boot repair tool in it)

Command line, typed
ls /sys/firmware/acpi/tables
Then went to the file :
cd /sys/firmware/acpi/tables
The read the MSDM file:
sudo xxd MSDM
And then I was able to read the 25 character key.

So now , if I wipe completely the drive, I should be able to reinstall w10 using my key.

(I rewrited what was in the post in case someone having the same echue find this post)

Thanks for your help and your time!
Driks

Postby isadora » Nov 1st, '18, 16:20

And Driks, when this helped out for your original question, then please mark this topic solved.
You can do so by editing the title/subject of the first message in the topic.
Place [SOLVED] in front of subject/title.

Thanks ahead. :)
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Return to Basic support