Okular problems

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Okular problems

Postby Erik » Oct 21st, '18, 19:15

Today I tried to print a PDF-file via Okular. It did not print correctly: the outer margins are too big, left and right, under and above. I cannot find a setting like "no scaling". The old problems are still there: latest print settings are not kept, like "landscape" formatted text is only printed correctly when "portrait" is chosen. Researching the problem I found that in MCC I am told that I have installed version okular-17.12.2-1.1.mga6.x86_64.rpm; when i look up the version nummber in Okular itself, I am told that version 1.3.2 is installed. What is the matter? Just a not updated version window in Okular, or is it something more mysterious?

Some days ago I installed Evince. I found that this program does print pdf-files correctly. So I can do my work for the time being. The struggle with Okular reminds me of the problems I had with Okular a number of years ago, but I should like to use an updated/corrected version of Okular because it is an integral part of KDE/Plasma.

Greetings,

Erik.
Erik

Re: Okular problems

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 21st, '18, 20:59

Erik wrote:Researching the problem I found that in MCC I am told that I have installed version okular-17.12.2-1.1.mga6.x86_64.rpm; when i look up the version nummber in Okular itself, I am told that version 1.3.2 is installed. What is the matter? Just a not updated version window in Okular, or is it something more mysterious?

Nothing misterious. The 17.12 is the version for KDE applications: https://www.kde.org/announcements/annou ... 7.12.2.php
1.3.2 is the version for okular itself. https://www.kde.org/announcements/fulll ... 2.0#okular
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Erik » Oct 21st, '18, 21:31

Thank you doktor.

I suppose we must cope with the eternal print problems of Okular or leave Plasma behind. I 'll have a look at XFCE.

Greetings.

Erik
Erik

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 23rd, '18, 12:55

Why use a different desktop environment when you can just try another PDF viewer ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Erik » Oct 23rd, '18, 16:15

Dear Doktor,

I don't like the GUI of evince in Plasma, and the options on the second toolbar ( "add annotations" e.g.) do not work. In the meantime I have found another set of tools: Kpdftool and qpdfview. The latter works as as expected. I have always liked Mandrake, Mandriva, Mageia with KDE and now Plasma. But it irritates me very much that the developers of KDE do not bother to correct the bugs and ineptness of Okular.

On another computer I installed Mageia XFCE with the dedicated ISO file. It looks beautiful and and Evince works as expected. For me XFCE is an excellent desktop and I am now considering to remove Plasma and start using XFCE on my main computer.

Thank you for your help always when needed.

Erik
Erik

Return to Basic support