black screen after copying file

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

black screen after copying file

Postby nsh15 » Oct 8th, '18, 14:47

Hello,

I got a warning for low space and I clicked to empty the trash then I tried to copy one file to my PC
the PC died with black screen
When I reboot it , I can see Mageia loading then it goes to black screen

I tried to connect with rescue CD , to delete some files or at least to save some important files
I couldn't mount sda2

Is it possible to save some files or fix it?

Many thanks in advanced
nsh15

Re: black screen after copying file

Postby wintpe » Oct 8th, '18, 23:55

i saw this myself with a PC i built for a family member, where /var was full.
this meant some temp files created by processes for i suspect tracking processes could not be created among many other things, and he had the same issue.

so i would suggest booting either in rescue mode or via the dvd in rescue mode, and then the first thing is clean the file systems as your actions could have led to a corrupt file system.

fsck each partition one by one until it says clean.

hopefully they will come back good, but if you google fsck you may find that when theres a corrupt filesystem, to correct it it sometimes needs to clear database entries from the file system table, and this may result in a loss of files or data.

its difficult to describe how you will proceed but one things for sure you wont mount those file systems while they are corrupt, its like trying to start a corrupt database.

if you succeed , then mount each file system in turn on /mnt a mount point purposfully created for this with

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

clean it up

then unmount /mnt and move onto the next till you are done.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Basic support