changing boot device [SOLVED]

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

changing boot device [SOLVED]

Postby pernel » Oct 8th, '18, 13:55

I have a pc with Mageia 6 that I want to use as a server for different puposes. One old disk started to show smart error. I then installed a new ssd drive and made a fresh install of Mageia 6 on it with triple boot capabilities. 1) New Mageia, 2) old mageia 3) Windows 7 ultimate.
The fresh Mageia 6 up and running. Now I want to replace the two ageing disks for old Mageia 6 and Windows 7 respectively with partitions on a fresh 8 TB disk by cloning.
However I found out with mcc that the system is booting from one of the old disks (actuallay the one containing windows) that I want to replace, Is it safe to use MCC "set up boot system" to point to the new ssd. Can I be expected to be able to boot into the fresh Mandriva 6 after this? Will the triple boot ability remain after this or do I have to repair the boot system with a Mageia installation cd?
Would be grateful for any advice.
Last edited by pernel on Oct 31st, '18, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
pernel

Re: changing boot device

Postby jiml8 » Oct 8th, '18, 19:48

MCC has settings to do what you want, but I have never done that with MCC so I won't assure you that it will work.

But, once you do it, you will need to go into your BIOS and change your boot drive to the one you want, else you will continue to triple-boot off of your current device.

However, this should leave you with the ability to boot straight into Mageia 6 by selecting your SSD or to triple boot by selecting the old boot drive in BIOS.

Personally, I would recommend just booting into one OS then virtualizing the others and running them as VMs. That winds up making life both simpler and much more flexible.
jiml8

Re: changing boot device

Postby pernel » Oct 31st, '18, 15:13

Thanks for the encouragement. MCC did what I wanted.
pernel

Return to Basic support