Mageia 6 only recognises data CD's but not music CD's

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Mageia 6 only recognises data CD's but not music CD's

Postby acecoder » Oct 7th, '18, 19:16

I run my Linux in a virtual machine using Parallels Desktop for Mac on a MacBook Air. I recently made a copy of my Mageia 5 VM and did the online upgrade to Mageia 6. The upgrade completed successfully, and apart from a few easily fixed niggles (like the firewall blocking everything) just about everything is working fine. However I do have a problem with music CD's not being recognised, only data CD's. I use an Apple USB Superdrive. When I run my Mageia 5 VM and tell Parallels to connect the drive to it, both data CD's (CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW) and music CD's (CD-DA) are recognised and work as expected. However, when I run my Mageia 6 VM and tell Parallels to connect the drive to it, only data CD's are recognised correctly. Inserting a music CD produces no response whatsoever. I understand that a data CD winds up as a device that gets mounted, whereas a music CD does not. This is obviously not a hardware fault, as every thing works fine on Mageia 5 ( and OS X, if the drive is told to connect to the Mac rather than one of the VM's). So what's changed in Mageia 6? Am I missing a needed package? Or is it just some setting that needs to be toggled on?

Bearing in mind that my Mageia 6 is an upgrade of a working Mageia 5, I find this a bit puzzling, annoying even. This is a device problem, not a sound problem. All my audio and sounds in Mageia 6 are working fine. I just want Mageia 6 to respond when I insert a music CD into the drive.
acecoder

Re: Mageia 6 only recognises data CD's but not music CD's

Postby filip » Oct 7th, '18, 23:02

It would be helpful if you add some info about your use case and especially which desktop environment you use.
filip

Postby acecoder » Oct 8th, '18, 15:03

I use the Plasma desktop. What do you mean by use case? I gave plenty of details. It's pretty simple really, I upgraded to Mageia 6 and now only data CD's are recognised, but not music CD's. When I insert a music CD, nothing happens.
acecoder

Postby jiml8 » Oct 8th, '18, 19:39

When you say "nothing happens" I presume you mean that a music player does not automatically start and play the CD/DVD. So, the first thing to do is determine whether the CD/DVD is made available to the Mageia VM from the host (if it worked in Mageia 5 then it most likely is, but always start at the beginning and check the obvious when debugging).

I no longer have a DVD or CD on my workstation so I can't provide exact details here because I can't look in my own system to see what is there, but start by putting an audio CD into the superdrive, then from a console on the VM execute the command "lsusb" and see if you see the superdrive attached to the VM.

Once you see it attached, look to see if the device is found in the /dev directory. From the console, "ls /dev" and see what you get. I think the device will be /dev/sr0 but I am not sure of that. After doing this, you may want to disconnect the superdrive and repeat the command to see what changes in /dev. That should clearly identify it.

Finally, when the superdrive is plugged in, start your favorite music player on the VM (I would probably use VLC for this particular test just because it is easy to get VLC to play anything that is playable). Tell your music player to play what is on the device. For instance, if you use VLC, you would select Media/Open Disc then in the resulting requester, set the required options (DVD, blue-ray, CD, or S6.3.16CD/VCD), select the device, and play it.

If, when you do this, lsusb does not turn up the superdrive, then your host is not making it available to the VM and you should investigate your settings in parallels.

If the superdrive shows up, but there is no matching device in /dev then you have some driver problem with Mageia 6.

If the device is in /dev but you cannot play it from VLC (or another competent player) then probably the CD itself is bad.

If you do succeed in playing it, then the audio MIME-type is wrong in Mageia 6 and you will have to figure out how to set that.
jiml8

Postby acecoder » Oct 9th, '18, 20:06

Thanks for your reply, jim18. I did quite a bit more experimenting to compare what happens differently with my Mageia 5 and Mageia 6 virtual machines, and what I found was pretty interesting. In a nutshell, with a data CD they both work the same. Plug in the SuperDrive (telling Parallels to connect it to the VM instead of the MAC) and /dev/sr1 appears, insert a data CD and sr1 gets mounted to mount point (e.g.) /run/media/johnh/QSS_CD. Files are listed in Dolphin and Terminal. Eject the data CD and /dev/sr1 gets unmounted. All pretty normal, and apart from proving that the relevant hardware is all ok, has very little bearing on what happens with a music CD. Music CD's are a completely different animal and don't get mounted, for starters. Here's what I found at the end of it all. I was able to get Mageia 6 to recognise a music CD, but only after the SuperDrive had first been connected to the Mac and the CD inserted before then telling Parallels to connect the SuperDrive to the Mageia 6 VM. Then I could play the tracks with a music player and in Dolphin "AUDIO CD" was listed in the panel on the left under "Devices". Selecting "Devices" listed the disc contents in the main window. The location bar displayed audio_cd:> (repeated several times in Mageia 5, but not in 6). Of importance here is the fact that audio_cd is not mounted to the file system, so although Dolphin displays the relevant information, there's is no way I could find to see it listed in Terminal. After ejecting the disc, inserting a new music CD into the drive got no response from Mageia 6. It was necessary to tell Parallels to connect the SuperDrive to the Mac, insert the new disc, and then connect the drive back to Mageia 6, which then responded quite normally to the new music CD. This, of course, is not how Mageia 5 works. You can tell Parallels to connect an empty Superdrive to the Mageia 5 VM, and then insert, play, list, and eject music discs willy nilly to your heart's content. So something has changed in Mageia 6.
acecoder

Return to Basic support