Installing using local media fails

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Installing using local media fails

Postby StuartN » Oct 4th, '18, 02:46

I'm trying to install Mageia 6 and Cauldron using netinstall and a local hard disk mirror, and the installation fails right after the partitioning phase with the message:

retrieval of [tmp/image/media/core/release/media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz] failed

[md5sum mismatch]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "Core Release"

After that, similar messages for Nonfree and Tainted follow and the installation halts.

I have tried updating the media_info files several times, thinking that it might be a bad sync thing, but I always get the same message.

In the past I have installed various instances of 5 and even 6 beta this way and it worked every time. Trying to do the same with 6 and Cauldron fails. Is there something I could try to make this work?
StuartN

Re: Installing using local media fails

Postby StuartN » Oct 5th, '18, 15:41

I just used my local mirror to update a couple of Mageia 6 machines (upgraded from Mageia 5) and it worked fine. The problem appears only when I try to point netinstall to the local mirror (Hard Disk option).
StuartN

Re: Installing using local media fails

Postby martinw » Oct 6th, '18, 12:16

You don't mention which netinstall image you are using. I've just tested this using Mageia-6.1-netinstall-nonfree-x86_64.iso and a local copy of the distrib/6/x86_64 tree, and an install of the Xfce DE proceeded without incident (apart from the expected message that the 32-bit repos couldn't be found).

I would try deleting all the media_info directories in your local mirror (including the top-level one) and resync'ing.
martinw

Return to Basic support