test grub2 themes from prompt

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

test grub2 themes from prompt

Postby nwtmg » Sep 27th, '18, 11:29

Using v6 4.14.65-desktop-1.mga6 . Upgraded to grub2 and installed some themes. It seems that the only way to test the theme is to reboot. Is there an application for testing grub2 themes from the prompt. I thought that perhaps I could dynamically create a bootable grub2 iso using grub2-mkimage or grub2-mkstandalone but no luck. Thanks.
nwtmg

Re: test grub2 themes from prompt

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 27th, '18, 23:22

Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby nwtmg » Oct 1st, '18, 20:05

Thanks for the software. Downloaded and installed. Receiving the following error. I know this is not supported software. All help will be appreciated. I believe I have all the dependencies installed.

Code: Select all
grub2-theme-preview --help
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/grub2-theme-preview", line 5, in <module>
    from grub2_theme_preview.cli import main
ImportError: No module named grub2_theme_preview.cli
nwtmg

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 1st, '18, 22:56

Where has the python module grub2_theme_preview.cli been installed on your box ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby nwtmg » Oct 2nd, '18, 22:17

I appreciate your time with this problem. Located part of the problem. The module grub2_theme_preview.cli was installed in write protected directory /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
Made directory and all files read and execute which solved the initial problem. When I start with grub2-theme-preview and pass theme location I now get the error,
ERROR: Command "grub-mkrescue" of Grub 2.x not found

Since I am using grub2 why is grub-rescue being used. Will continue to research. Should I mark this as solved.
nwtmg

Postby martinw » Oct 4th, '18, 01:03

The GRUB developers consider GRUB2 to simply be the latest version of GRUB, so use grub- as a prefix for all commands. Some distributions do the same, but others, including Mageia, change this to grub2-. A quick peek at the grub2-theme-preview source code shows you should be able to solve this by running
grub2-theme-preview --grub2-mkrescue grub2-mkrescue

or just edit grub2-theme-preview and change the default value on line 207.
martinw

Return to Basic support