WHY MAGEIA REMOVE SOME SOFTWARE IN THE OLD MANDRIVA ?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

WHY MAGEIA REMOVE SOME SOFTWARE IN THE OLD MANDRIVA ?

Postby liao » Sep 11th, '18, 12:26

My friend give a software which can be installed easily in old Mandriva. But with Mageia, the problems are described below.

Can you please direct me to relevant linux mageia expert that can answer those problems in Mageia ?

WHY MAGEIA IS GIVING PROBLEMS LIKE THIS ?

Choose KDE (GNOME will lock keyboard and mouth)

-- search for "gcc", and click to uninstall "gcc 4.82"

-- search for "gcc" again and click "gcc3.3"(if nonexistent, then download other config media and updates )

-- search for "tcsh" and install

-- search for "ncurses" and click all the "libncurses*" and install

-- search for "libx11" and click all "libx11-devel" and install

-- install "ncftp" and "gnuplot"(which only Mageia 4 has) the same way
liao

Re: WHY MAGEIA REMOVE SOME SOFTWARE IN THE OLD MANDRIVA ?

Postby benmc » Sep 11th, '18, 21:47

what is the software that you are trying to find or install?

or,

why not install Mandriva into a virtual box and use it from there?
benmc

Postby wintpe » Sep 12th, '18, 12:35

all distributions of linux are moving forward code wise and that means that some software may have compatibility problems
if it was not built on that version of linux.

this is rare but it happens all the time, even with backward compatibility provided to a certain degree..

the best effort going on at the moment to avoid this issue is that of the independent of distribution packages such as appimage, flatpac and snap.

they include all the app needs in a private to the application library.

its very inefficient on space, and has the potential to leave security issues in those private libraries unfixed, but its much more accommodating to operating system version updates.

all these packages have advise on how to build packages for there package format, so you could potentially build that app for appimage and install it on any linux distribution .

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby liao » Sep 13th, '18, 06:21

Can I use Docker platform to install the unique old software in Windows OS ?

I heard any software can run on Docker platform.

(why not install Mandriva into a virtual box and use it from there?) - ]]] This sounds a good idea. Is it possible to install Mandriva in an old laptop that use to run on Windows 7 ?

I can still give you the teamviewer access code and PW and you can play around with his software and see if you find any issues with it. His computer is located in San Francisco. I will post the teamviewer access code in public if you don mind.

If anyone interested please drop me an email.
liao

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 15th, '18, 22:58

liao wrote:I will post the teamviewer access code in public if you don mind.

Sorry, but forum moderatorrs will remove something like that.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wintpe » Sep 17th, '18, 09:27

im sorry liao
but you need to continue to work this out in the forum.
i wont be connecting to your pc .

start by telling us what this software is.

what platform it was origionaly designed to work with.

as for why is mageia giving problems like this, i suspect you will find all current linux distributions will have this issue.

regards peter
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby liao » Sep 17th, '18, 17:02

The friend a retired software automation expert, who give me this software was working for EECCL, a vendor for Boeing Computer Service's nuclear software library. Boeing Computer Service (BCS) was once very active in nuclear system analysis.

Boeing was once a top nuclear system analysis company during the nuclear power industry boom before 1980. After 1980, nuclear industry go down a lot and Boeing close down the BCS.

The software was originally designed to run on very old Cray supercomputer system. Now cannot be done.

He now want to revive this powerful software and give to Linux Mageia developers or whoever keen, to use to help the society. Besides nuclear power industry the software powerful analysis tools was also used in big oil corporations like Exxonmobil and Shell to survey and analysis oil and gas deposits under the seabed.

You will find RELPA5 and RETRAN if you take a look into this software which was installed into his personal computer at his home.

See his profile below.

/////////////////////////////////////////

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-g-vreeland-28b1839/

David G Vreeland
Senior Software Engineer
Company Name : Energy Engineering Computer Computer Code Laboratory(EECCL)

Developed containment model using CONTEMPT-LT/28, non-LOCA best-estimate models using RETRAN02 and LBLOCA model using RELAP4-EM methodology.

Established Boeing Computer Service's nuclear software library by providing the installation, maintenance, quality assurance procedures, application support and marketing of the software worldwide. Among the software included where the following:
Thermal Hydraulics Analysis - RETRAN, RELAP4, RELAP5 and TRAC

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1002/ML100280099.pdf

'RELAP5/1 and FORCE are vendor-supplied modifications of public-domain codes. The vendor, with whom BCS has a licensing agreement, is Energy Engineering Computer Code Laboratories (EECCL). These codes are a part of the Nuclear Library (NUCLIB) code collection being implemented by BCS(Boeing Computer Service).

Video link below shows the great potential of this software to make the world work automated and become more efficient. Better than AI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRn-agiIeo&t=76s
liao

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 18th, '18, 00:20

liao wrote:He now want to revive this powerful software and give to Linux Mageia developers or whoever keen, to use to help the society.

And that software is open source?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby liao » Sep 18th, '18, 05:39

Yes. The unique software is designed to be open source and developers or programmers can change whatever they can with it to make it more powerful. The software has its own intelligence to analysis what is wrong and what is right.

This unique software, Robocom natural language programming has logic, or intelligence, that solve for z as function of any number of x, y and other world physical or other phenomena.

The user just tell the computer what he wants to computer/solve for, and then the computer will prompt him for algebraic, graphical and computational flow parameters that describe the solution.

When the user provided enough variables and other conditions to the computer, which would find out that the equations/variables are closed(or equal in number), then robocom would take over(basically flip over the input stream) and program the problem solution in Fortran(and C), and execute the program, to get the solution for the user, all in one sweep.

The software robots are recordings of the Q&A (questions and answers) sessions between user and computer, be it natural language programming or any other procedural interaction.

You can see that nuclear system analysis is very complex and complicated because there are millions of variables in the systems. Only robocom was designed to handle such a complex system and produce the required results.

Therefore this unique software can be used in other kind of complex analysis which required AI knowledge. The software can be programmed to be smarter than Deep Mind or Google Alpha Go, who beat the top Go player recently.

He wants Mageia to be the platform to launch robocom since only Mageia can accept robocom with some modifications of the codes inside Mageia.
liao

Postby wintpe » Oct 6th, '18, 19:09

Mageia is on the whole code wise 99% the same as most other distributions.

there are differences in the way its packaged and its package dependencies are specified
but once installed you will find a library structure that is on the whole the same as similar distributions.

i would suggest trying to recompile it against the latest version of Mageia. But the mageia community wont except software for its distribution that does not come with source code, for security reasons.

thats one of the big pluses of opensource, if its broke or you want to see how it works you can open it up and take a look.

the only compiled only software we will run is from a reputable company.

regards peter
wintpe

Postby liao » Oct 14th, '18, 05:04

Please take look the robacus using teamviewer

edit doktor5000: removed teamviewer ID and password
Last edited by doktor5000 on Oct 14th, '18, 07:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed teamviewer ID & password
liao

Postby wintpe » Oct 17th, '18, 10:32

liao
please refrain from asking for us to look via teamview ether via the forum, or via the pm you keep sending me.
this is not a peronalised support service, its a comunity forum where everyone benifits from what we discuss and
fixes to the mageia distribution.
if you want robocom looked at i suggest you post the source on github for all to see.
then and only then will i consider looking at it in a sandbox enviroment.
this constant request to get people to connect via teamview makes me suspicious of your motive. ie reverse teamviewer vulnerability.
anyone else reading this, dont connect to people you dont know some teamviewv versions are vulnerable to the target able to access the helpers computer.
regards peter
wintpe

Postby liao » Oct 17th, '18, 15:43

HI. All.

I am sorry I did not know teamviewer has such vulnerabilties such as reverse teamviewer where the other party can peek into your computer too if you gain access into his computer terminal. I never heard of such thing can happen.

I have used teamviewer to connect my computer to a IT technician computer to repair some software issues without any problems.
liao

Return to Basic support