SOLVED: qt5-qbase, where is it.

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

SOLVED: qt5-qbase, where is it.

Postby hviaene » Aug 23rd, '18, 16:18

I am using stackstorage, but uploading a complex set of folders/files via the website is a PITA. They provide a solution for that, even for Linux at https://mirror.transip.net/stack/linux/
But when i install yum and try to install the CentOS7 commands, at installation I get:
# yum install stack-client
TransIP Stack Client (CentOS_7) 1.5 MB/s | 73 kB 00:00
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Thu 23 Aug 2018 15:43:57 CEST.
Error:
Problem: conflicting requests
- nothing provides qt5-qtbase needed by stack-client-v2.4.1-0.x86_64
And I cann't find that in mageia' repos. Is it hidden somwhere under another name???
Last edited by hviaene on Aug 24th, '18, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
hviaene

Re: qt5-qbase, where is it.

Postby wintpe » Aug 23rd, '18, 18:01

are you using mageia or fedora/redhat.

if the former then what path of enlightenment led you to install yum on mageia.

I can see your thinking, yum pulls rpm's down to hosts and installs them.

But while mageia does use rpm packages, not all rpm packages are suitable for mageia.

thats why repos often have distribution versions in the path.

yum is exclusively for redhat and fedora, although it does have some origins with yellow dog linux

rpm packages for suse and fedora or redhat are no more that 90% compatible with each other.

dependencies in some rpm's are for libraries and other rpm's from the distribution they are built on, and no other.

if you want to install a package made for one rpm distribution on another see some of my own posts on how to go about it, but

its mostly unsupported, at best a hack.

ie rpm -ivh file.rpm --nodeps --force

then run ldd on the binary you are intending to run,

ldd /usr/bin/file

libfilexxx.so.1 ---> not found.

then on google search for what mageia rpm provides libfilexxx.so.1

rpmforge is usually quite helpful.

the most reliable approach is get the source rpm and build it on the intended platform.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Re: qt5-qbase, where is it.

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 23rd, '18, 18:52

wintpe wrote:yum is exclusively for redhat and fedora

That is not correct, as we have the successor to yum, dnf, available on Mageia as an alternative to urpmi. And you could still use yum on Mageia or on other distros, same as you can use e.g. apt on non-Debian systems.

Although that still does not replace the need for packages to be adapted to the target distro.

@OP: The package that matches what you're looking for the most would probably be qtbase5-common
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: SOLVED: qt5-qbase, where is it.

Postby wintpe » Aug 28th, '18, 15:02

yes Doktor fair enough yum with the right repos would work on mageia.

however i think the point i was making was yum with redhat/fedora repos are unlikely to be successful due to a different inter package dependency requirement

but as it stood the headline was wrong.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Basic support