Clone système to new ssd - pitfalls?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Clone système to new ssd - pitfalls?

Postby rooman » Jul 18th, '18, 16:52

I think it will be fairly simple to clone principal partitions to a new ssd with Clonezilla, are there any pitfalls or traps to look out for?
Mageia 6, Asus Z-87-Pro, i5 4670k @4.2, DDR3 16gb, nVidia 760 GTX
rooman

Re: Clone système to new ssd - pitfalls?

Postby morgano » Jul 18th, '18, 20:19

Short answer: Yes.
For a more detailed answer we need to know more:
Are you copying a whole disk or just partitions?
What operating system(s)?
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby wintpe » Jul 19th, '18, 10:27

there are pitfalls, ive done this lots of times.

its also the method i use to back up my systems.

biggest pitfull if you are going from a spinning disk to a ssd is size usually.

clonezilla has an expert option on restore that you need to select when downsizing a disk.

easiest thing would be to empty the partitions you dont want after moving it somewhere else.

clone the disk, then use the expert option to make it fit the new SSD.

once you have done that enable there wear limiting options in fstab mount options and use tempfs for things like /tmp, /var/tmp

also implement a regular fstrim on the SSD partitions.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby rooman » Jul 22nd, '18, 17:30

Latest M6 desktop on a hdd.
I was thinking of transferring only system partitions to a new ssd so as to speed up boot and applications. Personal stuff, photos, letters etc will stay on hdd.
What do you think? a 250Gb should suffice?
rooman

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 22nd, '18, 22:42

Depends how much space you need for /home ...
For casual usage and no dual-boot even a 64GB SSD should suffice.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Jul 23rd, '18, 12:23

On my workstation i have pretty much installed including all big DE, and adding all partitions except /home and swap it is around 30 GB total. So 64 GB is more than enough, but probably not much cheaper than a 256 GB, and then probably the 256GB is faster ;)
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 23rd, '18, 13:26

If you're using an SSD and don't have /home on it, then that is 50% wasted potential.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jiml8 » Jul 29th, '18, 20:20

I agree that a 64GB is more than sufficient for a system - even a very big system - if the boot and the system is all you put on it.

On my workstation I am running 2 512GB SSDs, as well as a 3TB and a 4TB hard drive for local archives and stuff I don't use every day. On one SSD I have my system as well as a separate partition that has /tmp and /var symlinked to it, and on the other SSD I have /home. My system partition is 28GB and 21GB of that is in use - and I have a big complicated system (though, as I said, /var is not kept on that system partition).

The balance of the space on both SSDs is taken up by virtual machines, including the list of VMs that I use daily or at least frequently. Presently one SSD is 80% full and the other is 60% full - but I just cleaned a couple of VMs I no longer use off of that one to make space for new stuff.

Both SSDs have been in place for about 3 years now. Both are trimmed nightly. The one with the system on it shows a wear leveling count of 18, the one with /home on it shows a wear leveling count of 40. Both are rated for 100.

This system has proven both fast and reliable for me.
jiml8

Postby rooman » Jul 30th, '18, 11:47

system end /Home on two separate ssd, is an idea that appeals to me, thanks jim18
rooman

Return to Basic support