[SOLVED] Installing Opera 54

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] Installing Opera 54

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 18th, '18, 05:12

Hi,

I am trying to install the opera browser. As it is not offered by Mageia, I went ahead and downloaded the rpm version of the installer from opera website and used the rpm command to install it. However, I am getting the below error. Can some one help?

Code: Select all
[user@localhost Downloads]$ sudo rpm -i opera-stable_54.0.2952.54_amd64.rpm
warning: opera-stable_54.0.2952.54_amd64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA512 Signature, key ID a5c7ff72: NOKEY
error: Failed dependencies:
   at is needed by opera-stable-54.0.2952.54-0.x86_64
[user@localhost Downloads]$

Thanks,
Balaji.
Last edited by pnbalaji on Jul 18th, '18, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
pnbalaji

Re: Installing Opera

Postby wintpe » Jul 18th, '18, 11:11

Hi pnbalaji
firstly i noticed you are running that as a user, and that will fail due to permission denied to the rpm database.

so enter the command

su -
enter password.
cd /home/user

so that you can run the command as root.

rpm itself needs all the dependancies presented as a list along with the package you are trying to install, ie rpm -ivh package.rpm dep1.rpm dep2.rpm

but the urpmi command like yum under redhat/centos/fedora will resolve the dependencies for you if it can.

if it was a mageia rpm ie an rpm thats got the right dependancy markers in it for mageia then , im 100% sure that

urmpi package.rpm

will work.

but as you downloaded this from a site that has created a generic rpm, probably for fedora 28, then it might not find the dependencies that you need.

if it says it cant find 1 or two then i suggest install it with rpm -ivh --nodeps --force, also install any others that urpmi suggested would be needed.

then finaly find the opera executable thats been installed and run

ldd opera

it may say library not found in some cases, if that happens, then you will need to identify which mageia package has that library.

there are many ways to do this, but i being lazy usualy just use google with a search for

what rpm contains.

rpmforge usually gives me a hint.

you may not need all of this it might just work, but these are generic approaches to this problem im listing.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 18th, '18, 12:59

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I actually over-written my actual userid with the text "user" before posting this message. As you can see, I was running the rpm command with sudo.

I will try to install opera with urpmi and see how it goes.

Any specific reason why Opera is not included in Mageia repos?

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 18th, '18, 13:59

pnbalaji wrote:Any specific reason why Opera is not included in Mageia repos?

It was up to Mageia 4 up to Opera 12.16. For further information best check https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14912
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 18th, '18, 14:04

Thanks, I was able to install opera with the urpmi command. Though urpmi complained about the same NO-KEY warning, it went ahead and installed the browser without any errors. I am able to launch opera from the start menu.

I will mark this thread as solved.

Thanks,
Balaji.
pnbalaji

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 18th, '18, 16:48

pnbalaji wrote:Though urpmi complained about the same NO-KEY warning

That is because urpmi/rpm do not know the key with which the package is signed, it's telling you the signature of the package and that it does not have a matching key.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Opera 54

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 18th, '18, 16:57

Is there a way to find the key. Usually with fedora, there are options to download the key from rpmforge or rpmfusion repos. I am not sure if there is a way to find the key for the opera installer that we download from the opera site.
pnbalaji

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 18th, '18, 17:57

Did you actually try searching for it? First search result: https://rpm.opera.com/manual.html
Otherwise you would have to ask Opera support for that.
----
doktor5000

Postby pnbalaji » Jul 18th, '18, 18:14

Nopes, I was not aware of it. Thanks for the pointer any way.
pnbalaji

Return to Basic support