(Solved)Need Help to get protonvpn working

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

(Solved)Need Help to get protonvpn working

Postby philr » May 5th, '18, 13:55

checked to make sure I have all packets installed (Listed Here - https://protonvpn.com/support/linux-vpn-tool/)
But cant find this ( sysctl )in mageia 6 and not sure what this is dialog, as when i do a search in mageia control centre(All + All) many packets show up but none called just dialog
Downloaded - protonvpn-cli-master.zip and followed instructions to install from terminal, no joy,
Just could not get it to install

Any help gratefully taken
Thanks in advance
Last edited by philr on May 7th, '18, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
philr

Re: Need Help to get protonvpn working

Postby doktor5000 » May 5th, '18, 14:51

sysctl is not a package but a command and installed by default, and dialog is also not a package but a command, it's contained in the cdialog package.

Apart from that, what exactly happens when you do the installation, please post the actual output here.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby philr » May 5th, '18, 23:24

Code: Select all
[root@localhost ~]# sudo wget -o protonvpn-cli.sh http://rawgithubusercontent.com/protonVPN/protonvpn-cl
[root@localhost ~]# sudo chmod +x protonvpn-cli.sh

works fine upto entering the next line

[root@localhost ~]# sudo ./protonvpn-cli.sh --install

then I get this and cant get any further

./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 1: --2018-05-05: command not found
./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 2: Resolving: command not found
./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 3: 72.52.4.119: command not found
./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 3: :80...: command not found
./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 3: Connecting: command not found
./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 4: HTTP: command not found
./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./protonvpn-cli.sh: line 5: `Length: 3703 (3.6K) [text/html]'
Last edited by isadora on May 6th, '18, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
philr

Postby jiml8 » May 6th, '18, 03:45

When I try to visit that uri, it comes up as very spammy. I am sure it is not the address you want.

When I try the entire URI, I get a notice that the domain is for sale for $999. When I strip the subdirectories and go to rawgithubusercontent.com directly, I get redirected to a site with loud colors and flashing advertisements. And I can only access the site at all using a browser that has all security disabled.

The messages you are getting are apparently because the tool is getting a webpage and not whatever package you expected to get.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » May 6th, '18, 15:41

The message is because the option to wget to specify an output file is a capital -O not a lowercase -o, like it is also shown on their webpage, seems you did not copy&paste the actual command.

@Jim:
And the actual link is https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Proto ... vpn-cli.sh which is just a regular link to their github repository for this file: https://github.com/ProtonVPN/protonvpn- ... vpn-cli.sh
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: (Solved)Need Help to get protonvpn working

Postby philr » May 7th, '18, 00:13

contacted protonvpn tech help, havnt had a reply just going to sign up with another VPN service

Thanks for the help
philr

Return to Basic support