Moved on to a Gigabyte Brix

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

Moved on to a Gigabyte Brix

Postby dwhite » May 5th, '18, 09:14

I've moved on to a Gigabyte Brix and it seems to be acceptably fast, the only problem it has is the Graphics Driver isn't quite right, it seems that if you get a refurbished machine its slow, but everything works under Linux. A new machine and you get issues
Last edited by dwhite on May 6th, '18, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Now I've assembled a GA 320M-H AMD Chip and an ASUS Geforce GT 710
dwhite

Re: Moved on to a Gigabyte Brix

Postby dwhite » May 6th, '18, 04:24

It still could be good, but when the screensaver kicks in the program locks and won't accept log in. It was working fine. but I told Root I'd changed the Graphics card
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » May 6th, '18, 15:57

Not sure what to make of this. You don't mention any further details, like you change the graphics card from what to what, and why would that be necessary at all if you're using a new installation or a live image?
Apart from that, for the screen locker issue, you could hit viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11909 but as you don't provide any log excerpts on what happens when the screen is locked can't really help any further.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » May 6th, '18, 19:07

The graphics isn't good 256 colours and Grainy. I haven't actually changed anything I just told the graphics sever I had. The auto configuration program thinks it's an Intel 610 and installs the driver, but My computer(drac.conf) thinks it an an Intel atom since then the log in won't accept my password. The graphics card is probably on board so actually changing it is impossible.
Last edited by dwhite on May 11th, '18, 09:54, edited 2 times in total.
dwhite

Postby wintpe » May 6th, '18, 23:22

its all about the specs and while there are loads of Brix we need to know the details of the one you have.

just to echo what Doktor is saying, maybe more verbosely, you have posted a problem, but imagined we are all wired to your brain and know exactly what you have bought and discovered.

as you know we just want to help you, so help us to help you, perhaps think about why i posted help us to help you thread.

for me its all about specs as soon as you post the exact model number i can look it up and work out what chipset you are actually dealing with here.

i have quite a few atoms myself and have much experience with them, so i know what they are capable of.

so please the actual model number of the one you are having issues with.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby dwhite » May 7th, '18, 08:23

OK. I've loosely described a problem, but not in enough detail for you to help me. The login problem is more than likely been caused by my ham-fisted attempts to improve the display by making the graphics server use a different driver, so I'm actually going to have to open the box. The core problem is there wasn't a good enough driver to be installed. Probably because Gigabyte had to modify the graphics hardware to fit it on the board,was coerced by Microsoft or just felt like it and the driver isn't quite right any longer. Being as soon as I open the box I'll see the SSD and if I fit blank one I'll force a reinstall that might sidestep the problem. Other wise I need to log on as root and re-configure the graphics.

That hasn't addressed the underlying graphics driver problem, but as I can't write one I'll have to wait until the updates include one.
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » May 7th, '18, 18:30

dwhite wrote:The login problem is more than likely been caused by my ham-fisted attempts to improve the display by making the graphics server use a different driver, so I'm actually going to have to open the box. The core problem is there wasn't a good enough driver to be installed. Probably because Gigabyte had to modify the graphics hardware to fit it on the board,was coerced by Microsoft or just felt like it and the driver isn't quite right any longer.

There is no need to open the box at all. And for Intel graphics, there is only one driver so the problem is that you just figured you wanted to use another driver, for whatever reason.
But unless now, you did neither provide your current xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log nor the PCI ID of the graphics chip.

Please show at least the output of
Code: Select all
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
ls -al /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
lspcidrake -v | grep VGA

Opening your box won't help with either of these, by the way. Apart from that, for onboard video, you won't see anything as that is CPU-integrated. So not sure what you're trying to achieve in particular by opening the box.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » May 8th, '18, 17:51

Well it's moot now the SSD has gone U/S all that happens when I power up is I get sent to the bios and there isn't any field for an SSD when it said Toshiba before. I wish I'd known there was only one driver for all Intel Graphics. I just like to look in the box its a personality defect I've had since childhood. As it was sold without any OS Gigabyte could have made certain the Linux one worked, because it was bound to be used.
dwhite

Postby dwhite » May 10th, '18, 21:02

Note I'VE READ THAT A BRIX WAS USED WITH UBUNTO and the Graphics problem I found wasn't reported, but does UBUNTO use open source drivers, I've heard sometimes
dwhite

Postby doktor5000 » May 10th, '18, 22:19

There is literally only one driver for intel graphics available, and all distros are using the same driver.

Is it really that difficult to simply post the information I've asked about two posts above?
----
doktor5000

Postby dwhite » May 11th, '18, 09:46

No I'll post what you ask, but my BRIX has been been turned off and the Linux kernel has to have somewhere to reside with no SSD I understand it won't have any place. I was waiting for a new SSD and Static protection. It might turn out that the Graphics card was a little U/S though I thought they either worked or they didn't.
dwhite

Postby wintpe » May 30th, '18, 15:16

did you make any progress.

i was thinking perhaps as this is a windows 10 PC it may be that its UEFI enabled.

recently while messing about booting from usb i blew the boot block of my m2 drive of my mageia workstation.

that boots only uefi and when the boot block is gone, it does not see the drive in uefi mode.

its only seen when i switch back to CFM mode

i fixed quickly enough just by booting from the M6 cd and attempting an upgrade.

but it made me think about your issue with the SSD.

if you have killed the uefi part of that drive , and the bios is in uefi mode, then you may not see it as a bootable drive

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Return to Basic support