[SOLVED] grub fails to boot mga6 on nvme disk

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[SOLVED] grub fails to boot mga6 on nvme disk

Postby magfan » Apr 27th, '18, 09:02

I cannot boot a fresh installation of mga6. My system has a SSD software RAID 1 (sda,sdb) with a mga5 installation. On the first partition of a SAS hardware RAID (sdc1) /boot/EFI is located. Now I installed a NVME disk for mag6. There were no problems during installation of mga6. The only place offered for the bootloader installation was the EFI-partition on /dev/sdc1. But when I boot now I will end up in grub rescue with the following message:

Code: Select all
grub rescue: error: no such device: 3cc...
grub rescue: error: unknown filesystem

I know from a live-DVD that "3cc..." is the UUID of the new root partition "/" on the NVME disk. But somehow this disk cannot be handeled by grub. What can I do to boot into the new installation?
Last edited by magfan on Apr 30th, '18, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
magfan

Re: grub fails to boot mga6 on nvme disk

Postby gohlip » Apr 27th, '18, 15:12

The only place offered for the bootloader installation was the EFI-partition on /dev/sdc1

For nvme disks, the only place to put $esp is in the nvmedisk,
Check with fdisk -l or parted -l (small 'L') where that is, most likely "/dev/nvme0n1p1"
Set that in your fstab (remove the sdc1), mount that and then do a grub-install .

If grub-install does not work as it should , do additional steps like
sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1 -L “mageia” -l “\EFI\mageia\grubx64.efi”
sudo cp /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/EFI/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

If done from livecd, mount both / and $esp and amend commands to like /mnt/boot/EFI/EFI/xxxxxxx/xxxx
Or in the tradition of Mageia, reinstall without formating and this time choose the right $esp.

ps: in Mageia livecd, we will need to install the efi packages before doing the commands.
Not installed in livecd OS.

[edit] -
Yes, I hear you. "The only place offered for the bootloader installation was the EFI-partition on /dev/sdc1"
Can you select root in nvme partition? (yes, I know it is in sdc, but can you select, (not install) in nvme?
If you can, you should be able to select the nvme $esp too.
Do not format. Good luck.
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.
gohlip

Postby magfan » Apr 30th, '18, 15:06

I was wondering why every time after a reboot the file system on several partitions was "unknown". Finally it turned out to be a problem with the firmware of the nvme disk. After upgrading it to the latest version the error disappeared. Now everything works perfect!

@ gohlip: Thank you for your hint "reinstall without formating and this time choose the right $esp". The installer did not recognize some of the previously formatted partitions...
magfan

Postby gohlip » Apr 30th, '18, 15:32

magfan wrote:@ gohlip: Thank you for your hint "reinstall without formating and this time choose the right $esp". The installer did not recognize some of the previously formatted partitions...

Good to hear you got it fixed. And you're welcome.
Cheers.

ps: re: tradition.
Just because it is tradition, does not mean it is the right way. Or the only way. :D
Why do we live? To prove not everything in nature has a purpose.
gohlip

Return to Basic support