[MGA6] GNOME mouse pointer acceleration?

This forum is dedicated to basic help and support :

Ask here your questions about basic installation and usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about getting Mageia isos and installing it, configuring your printer, using your word processor etc.

Try to ask your questions in the right sub-forum with as much details as you can gather. the more precise the question will be, the more likely you are to get a useful answer

[MGA6] GNOME mouse pointer acceleration?

Postby jeff33 » Apr 6th, '18, 13:45

I remember in Mageia 5 we could change configuration of acceleration in Gnome config tool. In Mageia 6 I can't find configuration for acceleration in Gnome config tool. Did they remove settings in new Gnome?
jeff33

Re: [MGA6] GNOME mouse pointer acceleration?

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 6th, '18, 14:19

Hi there, I've split your issue into a separate thread as this is not about plasma. As a general hint and golden rule: Please only one problem per thread ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jeff33 » Apr 6th, '18, 14:33

Oh sorry, you're right.
jeff33

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 6th, '18, 16:12

You may want to take a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo ... celeration especially the libinput and xset methods as those can be changed during runtime without the need to restart the X server.
libinput is also what nearly all frontends are using to expose those settings to the end user.

Although as I don't use GNOME, can't tell if they removed that setting, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me :|
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby jeff33 » Apr 6th, '18, 16:27

Thanks for the hint, will try the old way to configure things with config files (emacs FTW!!). Though it was nice to be able to do it directly in the interface without editing any file.

But hey, this is not the first time that some feature I was using in Gnome is removed. I'm getting accustomed to this by now.
jeff33

Postby martinw » Apr 7th, '18, 00:32

In Settings, there is a Mouse & Touchpad category, and in there there is a Mouse Speed slider. Does that not do what you want?
martinw

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 7th, '18, 02:30

I've mentioned this in the other thread about mouse acceleration: viewtopic.php?p=72328#p72328
Seems most people are looking for mouse acceleration but actually want to change only the sensitivity / speed.
----
doktor5000

Postby martinw » Apr 7th, '18, 09:21

Long ago there used to be separate sliders for speed and acceleration, but IIRC that went away long before Mageia 5.
martinw

Postby jeff33 » Apr 7th, '18, 21:09

Yes, the separate sliders for speed and acceleration is what I'm talking about. I remember using that in a recent past but don't remember which Mageia version it was.
jeff33

Postby martinw » Apr 7th, '18, 22:29

I just checked with a Mageia 5 Live ISO, and the acceleration slider is not there. A quick search on the web indicates that it was the switch to using libinput that caused it to be removed. In Cinnamon (which is what I use), there is still a slider, but it only has three positions. This appears to be all libinput supports. In GNOME you can use the GNOME Tweak Tool to control this.
martinw

Return to Basic support